Footy has a Mark Robinson problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Whateley has his moments & sitting alongside Robbo each night, of course he comes across as borderline genius, how could he not? The big issue I have with Whateley on TV is his smarminess, his interview of Buddy a few weeks back a case in point. I found his demeanor throughout disturbing & from the look on Buddy's face at times, he was wondering wtf is going on, does this bloke want to talk to me or **** me? Awful interviewing style.

360 can be very good at times when the hosts stfu & let the coaches & players open up, which they often seem willing to do.

Emma Quayle was good but saw the light & got out while she could;)
Gerard is a deep thinker and an insightful analyst. He articulates his opinions on complex topics better than anyone in the industry, using logical constructs and clearly expressing his thought process.

To me, that's why he's such a breath of fresh air.

But there's a reason he sits quietly and shuts the hell up during interviews - I find he's usually awkward interacting with people, especially footballers who are generally about 3 rungs below him on the intelligence stakes.

Is this a typing error?

I haven't watched this show for over 18 months. Robinson has no business on TV, talking about a sport he barely understands and waffling on like some half-cut punter trying to win friends with every guest on the show. It infuriates me that he is on TV and radio.

360 is only marginally better than that steaming pile of garbage now being hosted by Hutchy.

Not at all. Yeah, Robbo can be grating. But Whately is usually good to listen to, I enjoy coaches night and players night. Wednesday withKingy usually gets a quick gloss over as that guy really gives me the s#$ts, then you have Lake and Dal Santo on Thursday who have been good. Have a few good interviews and generally easy to watch.

As stated before, Robbo and Gerard actually work well. You have Whately that is articulate with thought out commentary on the game, Robbo is just a yobbo who acts like a blubbering fool most of the time. like this week, he was laughing at the spit that came from Stevie Js mought after kicking the winning goal against Collingwood, not realising that that seemed to be a regularly thing forhim to do when ranting about Essendon drug scandal, head knocks etc etc.

I quite like AFL360. Whately and Robbo seem a good pairing.

What I have found, this year particularly, is Robbo is actually getting more out of players / coaches on the show in explaining what they mean by "lost their structure" or other footballing terms that might be well known within the clubs, but largely unknown to someone like me who hasn't played football at any level for 25 years. So I appreciate that he's getting players / coaches to explain exactly what they mean, rather than simply using club insider jargon.

That may be correct, but having not watched much 360 at all this year, I'd be inclined to put that down to Alan Richardson v Nathan Buckley, who regarded Robinson pretty clearly with thinly veiled contempt. Richardson always seems pretty comfortable in getting his point of view across.

And whatever your thoughts are of the Scott brothers, I think it's pretty difficult to argue that Chris isn't a perfect coach for that segment. He's pretty candid and he's certainly happy to provide a lengthy and thoughtful answer to any question, rather than the stonewalling you might get from someone like Buckley or Lyon, if he didn't happen to like the line of questioning.

When you think about it, it's actually pretty impressive where he's got to considering his lack of intelligence. Anyone know the story of how he got there ? Isn't he an ex detective?

I'll just leave this here

Journalists’ brains function at a subpar level because they consume too much alcohol, caffeine and sugar, but their love of their work helps them fight through the difficult times, according to a study by neuroscientist Tara Swart.

The study concluded that participants’ brains were lacking in the executive functioning department, which encompasses high-level cognitive functions such as emotional control, complex problem-solving, multi-tasking and the ability to suppress biases.

These deficiencies were attributed to “dehydration, self-medicating, and fueling their brains with caffeine and high-sugar foods,” according to a London Press Club release.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3463547/journalists-brains-function-below-average-study/

I quite like AFL360. Whately and Robbo seem a good pairing.

What I have found, this year particularly, is Robbo is actually getting more out of players / coaches on the show in explaining what they mean by "lost their structure" or other footballing terms that might be well known within the clubs, but largely unknown to someone like me who hasn't played football at any level for 25 years. So I appreciate that he's getting players / coaches to explain exactly what they mean, rather than simply using club insider jargon.
Maybe the players/coaches would have gone on to explain it more expansively, but so much time is wasted every segment with Robbo trying to dominate every conversation and predict anyone's response before they've been given a chance to reply properly. He's a compulsive interrupter and Whatley is often reduced to bystander status unfortunately.

Check out @renno53's Tweet:

Does this not just perfectly sum up the rancid Football media these days. Its like 50 total lightweights working across entire industry in various formats all hoping they will be the next Mike Sheahan. Problem is all of them have completely out of control egos, most of them arent capable of thinking and writing anything other than group-think, and the vast majority are shamelessly biased towards their own team.

The high point for me was last year Barrett essentially saying (of the retirement of North's older players) 'It's the right decision, I just dont agree with the decision'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does he always look like an unkept bed?
Looks dirty, grotty, very unappealing.

Besides that a poor writer, poor interviewer, slurs quite a bit.
Basically no talent.

Other than that, he's still not a good bloke

Why do footy reporters show such blatant hate (or love) for some teams in their work? Surely they'd try for some semblance of neutrality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back