List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We are short on mids (particularly inside) to spread the load as is, I'd be shocked if we looked at offloading Brodie unless we had something big in the bag like The Fyfe as well as a legit shot at Gunston, which - let's be real - is far, far too good to be true for one off-season for a club that isn't in contention, or even one that was.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are short on mids (particularly inside) to spread the load as is, I'd be shocked if we looked at offloading Brodie unless we had something big in the bag like The Fyfe as well as a legit shot at Gunston, which - let's be real - is far, far too good to be true for one off-season for a club that isn't in contention, or even one that was.

Yeah I definetely get what your saying mate however to be honest wouldn't you in fact be better off landing two established players in Jack Gunston and James Frawley in exchange for two players who have yet to play a game?
Imagine a forward line consisting of Lynch, Wright and Gunston causing opposition defenders nightmares. It would undoubtedly be the best forward line in the league.
Also with the addition of Frawley your backline would be greatly improved and alongside May and Lynch there wouldn't be a forward line that you couldn't tackle.
This would not only make you a better side but would also make your club more appealing to other potential recruits and help you land those "big fish".
You could then use one of your many picks - I believe you have one First Round Selection and four Second Round Selections which could then be used to draft more young talent.
We on the other hand would be landing some much needed (and hopefully) elite youth to assist in our much needed rebuild and while the loss of both these players will hurt us, given the fact we have no draft picks we don't really have a choice.
I know that there is some bad feelings between the supporters of both our clubs given last years trade period however if we look past that this trade would be a win for both clubs.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Yeah I definetely get what your saying mate however to be honest wouldn't you in fact be better off landing two established players in Jack Gunston and James Frawley in exchange for two players who have yet to play a game?
Imagine a forward line consisting of Lynch, Wright and Gunston causing opposition defenders nightmares. It would undoubtedly be the best forward line in the league.
Also with the addition of Frawley your backline would be greatly improved and alongside May and Lynch there wouldn't be a forward line that you couldn't tackle.
This would not only make you a better side but would also make your club more appealing to other potential recruits and help you land those "big fish".
You could then use one of your many picks - I believe you have one First Round Selection and four Second Round Selections which could then be used to draft more young talent.
We on the other hand would be landing some much needed (and hopefully) elite youth to assist in our much needed rebuild and while the loss of both these players will hurt us, given the fact we have no draft picks we don't really have a choice.
I know that there is some bad feelings between the supporters of both our clubs given last years trade period however if we look past that this trade would be a win for both clubs.
Which car dealership do you work for mate?

LynchysMob

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wasting your time discussing this. Will never happen. Also Frawley isn't worth the coin he's on. Would rather keep Scrimshaw who has great potential.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
So, 2 x top 10 picks (but they havent played a game yet so...) for ol' Jimmy Frawley and Gunston? Where do I sign?! :straining:/s

Seriously though, I would take Gunston, but A) He would never want to leave VIC and come here, and B) The Hawks would never trade him to us without asking for like 4 1st round picks and May. Just never gonna happen.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Pretty much every Hawk was asked last year about coming up here.
They said no then.
We say no now.

..........Unless it is Burton. He looks super good.

May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wasting your time discussing this. Will never happen. Also Frawley isn't worth the coin he's on. Would rather keep Scrimshaw who has great potential.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm not entirely sure that is the case, why wouldn't it be a possibility?

I feel that as club the GCS are unfairly portrayed and are doing it tough retaining players and in picking up two players of this calibre it would send a strong message to the rest of the competition that you are a destination club and not a list to there to be plundered and pillaged.

It's undeniable that adding Gunston into your forward line would infact make you the most lethal in the league and also Frawley cops so much unfair and unjustified negativity. The guy has not been played to his strengths since the midway mark of last season because certain other defenders on our list are cooked.

He would make your defensive unit better and it's not like you guys are struggling for coin.

Also if you guys do lose Ablett (which I think would be a disrespectful move on his part) then your defence is going to get peppered with the ball and you'll need that additional strong bodied defender.

I honestly do believe the May and Frawley would make a beast of a combination :)

May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty much every Hawk was asked last year about coming up here.
They said no then.
We say no now.

..........Unless it is Burton. He looks super good.

It wasn't just our players that said no ;)

Seriously though a move such as this would better your list (while only losing draft picks essentially because neither kid has played a game yet) and while yes it would hurt us short term it would hopefully work out long term.

Also I don't feel your list is that bad, if you were to add another elite forward and defender that would definitely push you up into the top eight.

Then all you need to do is use your abundance of picks this year to draft more kids to further complement your list and try to land an elite mid, possibly two if Ablett leaves.

If you did this you would be a strong chance of being a top 4-6 side.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season and enjoy the bye :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Wow
It wasn't just our players that said no ;)

Seriously though a move such as this would better your list (while only losing draft picks essentially because neither kid has played a game yet) and while yes it would hurt us short term it would hopefully work out long term.

Also I don't feel your list is that bad, if you were to add another elite forward and defender that would definitely push you up into the top eight.

Then all you need to do is use your abundance of picks this year to draft more kids to further complement your list and try to land an elite mid, possibly two if Ablett leaves.

If you did this you would be a strong chance of being a top 4-6 side.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season and enjoy the bye :)
it's such a generous deal, we are so lucky. Can we give you Lynch as a show of good faith.

Take it elsewhere mate

He certainly did. Right off the ******* website.

Isn't it too early in the season to be having to deal with this sort of s**t from opposition supporters.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tom Rockliff makes the most sense. A free agent that is already settled in south east QLD with a baby on the way and his best buddy Pearce Hanley is a Sun. He may not be considered a 'big fish' by most but he's often a prolific ball winner on game day (averaging 30 disposals this year) and can hit the scoreboard as well. He'll turn 28 just before the start of the 2018 season and is yet to compete in the finals so far in his career. I heard him on The Footy Show tonight and he's very aware that the Lions are a young team that will take several years to develop before they are ready for finals. He would definitely understand that joining the Suns increases his chances of finals action by a fair bit given the state of the two lists. Also, I doubt this will factor into his decision at all but he was born in Lismore (just over the QLD-NSW border) which is a part of the Suns academy zone.

Being a free agent makes this an easy decision for the Suns because they don't have to give up anything to get him and I'm pretty sure the Lions would be happy to take the compensation instead of matching the offer.

Sassermon

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know at the start of the year May said his re signing was just a formality but im starting to hear rumblings that he will leave. Is that just the typical hysteria that comes with a high level player being out of contract or is tgere some reason to worry?
Ps i think he should be sole captain. Not sure captaincy is doing lynch any favours.

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know at the start of the year May said his re signing was just a formality but im starting to hear rumblings that he will leave. Is that just the typical hysteria that comes with a high level player being out of contract or is tgere some reason to worry?
Ps i think he should be sole captain. Not sure captaincy is doing lynch any favours.
Rumblings from where?

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I dunno, its hard to imagine.
Hes the heart and soul of the club, along with David Swallow.
I cant picture him leaving to be honest.

Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I dunno, its hard to imagine.
Hes the heart and soul of the club, along with David Swallow.
I cant picture him leaving to be honest.
me either, I suspect quite a few signings will happen once the TPP are confirmed. Club doesn't know how much they have in their wallet either so how can you possibly do any long term deals right now, it would extremely foolish to be doing any 4-5 year contracts without knowing how much you have to play with!

Sassermon

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
other bigfooty posts...derrr
Lol no. Was in adelaide recently and listening to some of their footy talkback and its was a bit of a conversation then. I think I'll just be nervous about it until he does sign cos it would be a bit of a body blow to lose him. Just thought id ask if anyone has some intel before i start running round screaming that the sky is falling

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lol no. Was in adelaide recently and listening to some of their footy talkback and its was a bit of a conversation then. I think I'll just be nervous about it until he does sign cos it would be a bit of a body blow to lose him. Just thought id ask if anyone has some intel before i start running round screaming that the sky is falling

Not sure if talkback radio in Adelaide is cause for concern . From what ive heard his manager is just waiting on clarification on TPP before signing.

Back