Balic granted indefinite leave [Traded to Melbourne for pick 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

It occurred to me that Balic would incredibly ungrateful if he did choose to leave. After being touted as a high draft pick he slid big time due to his injury. I remember reading an article where he described worrying he was going to go undrafted as the picks got higher and he was still on the board.
We carried him for the time it took to get him back to playing footy and obviously paid for all his medical and rehab (par for the course), he won a premiership with Peel with the 3 amigos and other Freo players. Surely there are some friendships and bonds of loyalty there?
Neale talks about the loyalty he feels to Freo for taking a chance on him and showing faith, Hogan resigned with the Dees and of course we have the great example of Pav so to walk after your first contract after only playing a handful of games after the huge investment from the club would seem very selfish to me.
Yes I know its all speculation at this point, that there can be extenuating circumstances and that we were the beneficiary of Cam Mac's wanting to come home but I believe he owes us a couple more years of footy at least.
Agreed, and when you nominate for the draft, your basically signing off on the chance you may have to move interstate.

I wondered earlier in the year when McCarthy was talking about how great it was to be home with family and having that balance with footy whether it would get some of the interstate players thinking. Then I thought STFU, Cam. Keep a lid on it FFS. And here we are.

It really is humorous watching this board but particularly the other club boards talk about Balic and his situation, random people who are clueless and desperate to make up stuff for the sake of it.

Generally the AFL cycle of gossip goes like this:

> BigFooty makes up 10 rumors hoping 1 in 10 is true
> Club / AFL announces the facts
> BigFooty disregards all the s**t they made up and cling to the fact and start building on it because they're germs
> Twitter and oxygen thieving Journos read BigFooty to merit their "BREAKING NEWS" claims
> BigFooty then uses these idiots again to back up the rubbish they made up to begin with
> Dirtybanchez comes in with his one line post because he likes to act like he's in the know but he's a nobody
> Then Barrett comes out in a suit at the end of this cycle to announce what he thinks will happen on television
> Then we put up with weeks, months of rubbish and people mimicking each other

If it was homesickness they would have given him a defined week or two. Surely.
Doctor Supercoach on FB just posted:
Channel 7 are reporting that Harley Balic (FRE) has gone back home to Melbourne to deal with a personal issue.

Fremantle are expecting him to return to the club in 2 weeks.

We wish Harley all the best and a speedy recovery.

It really is humorous watching this board but particularly the other club boards talk about Balic and his situation, random people who are clueless and desperate to make up stuff for the sake of it.

> BigFooty disregards all the s**t they made up and cling to the fact and start building on it because they're germs
> Twitter and oxygen thieving Journos read BigFooty to merit their "BREAKING NEWS" claims
> BigFooty then uses these idiots again to back up the rubbish they made up to begin with
> Dirtybanchez comes in with his one line post because he likes to act like he's in the know but he's a nobody
> Then Barrett comes out in a suit at the end of this cycle to announce what he thinks will happen on television

It's not just Balic.

Just look at all the crap spouted in the Hogan thread on our own board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balic has copped the worst of the AFL media in his short career.

Remember when he was drafted and he made a comment about his Dad jokingly offering him $40,000 to stay at home and the media took it as gospel and blew it up?

And now apparently personal leave equates to being undisciplined or methamphetamine.

Poor bastard.

Sam Mclure brought this up again as part of the 'story' yesterday morning. Cited rumours circling on social media as a source. Absolute scumbag

Media are douches we all know that

Hardie - Balic has a meth problem

Barrett - Balic wants a trade

9 news - could be back within a month

7 news - could be back in 2 weeks

Truth be known they don't know s**t, so they give you fake news to keep the clicks coming. Whatever the issue is I hope he deals with it and we all move on. There is a reason why it's cited a personal issue and why the club refuses to make any further comment.

As much as we want to know the reason everyone should respect the guys privacy .

That's what sharing are for
For good times and bad times
Rumours on your side forever more
That's what BF are for

Girlfriend in Melbourne expl
Sam Mclure brought this up again as part of the 'story' yesterday morning. Cited rumours circling on social media as a source. Absolute scumbag
Really? I would have thought it was pretty relevant. Ive kept a close eye on his body language since he has arrived, and theres clearly some struggles going on.

Really? I would have thought it was pretty relevant. Ive kept a close eye on his body language since he has arrived, and theres clearly some struggles going on.

Exactly. Everyones being a little too sensitive I think. These forums are designed to discuss such issues. Too many people getting offended if they hear a version of events that doesnt suit them.

Ross said earlier in the year that Balic was starting to settle in. Something must have happened, but it definitely isn't drugs like Defacto was suggesting.

Exactly. Everyones being a little too sensitive I think. These forums are designed to discuss such issues. Too many people getting offended if they hear a version of events that doesnt suit them.
Was Meima making a point or just doing his best Elton/Stevie Wonder impersonation?

Yes I know its all speculation at this point, that there can be extenuating circumstances and that we were the beneficiary of Cam Mac's wanting to come home but I believe he owes us a couple more years of footy at least.

In my old fashioned mind, I see loyalty to a club, as something like 6 years.

You spend the first 3 years learning your trade ( apprenticeship ), with the club paying you more than you actually produce. The next 3 years are were your production blossoms and the club reaps the reward of the investment. After the 6 years, the player could leave the club with the ledger well balanced.

There is this nasty disease called "homesickness", which at times Freo have taken advantage of, so shouldn't complain too much. Personally I struggle with the "homesickness card". A job is a job, Perth, Harare, Santiago or Anchorage, you uproot yourself and go do a job.

If Balic returns to Vic, ok ......, but it leaves me a bit hollow. Freo will do their best to get a trade, as they don't want a player who doesn't want to be in Freo. Make him happier elsewhere.

If Tucker decides to return, I will ask, what the f.... do they expect with an AFL career.

Last edited:
If someone doesn't want to be here, let him go.

I'd rather a player want to play in purple than someone who just goes through the motions for a pay cheque.

Questioning the bloke's loyalty or hypothetical lack of it, is questioning his attitudes and values or morality.
Suggesting he lacks the integrity to commit to the club is not only assuming more than the evidence indicates but insults someone who may in reality still be deeply committed to our club whilst grappling with some personal difficulty.
Don't know why people bother to speculate given that it entails making assumptions which cannot be verified in any way.
We are supposedly supporters of the club which doesn't do hypotheticals.
Even more so when they insult our own players on the basis of no empirical evidence whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back