Opinion Round 9 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A lot of the board's selection criticism focuses on player A v player B and I doubt it's ever that simple.
I know we've got to trim it to 22 but there's a lot they consider.

I'm actually more annoyed that we didn't take a chance with another youngster in the back line given we didn't drop Danyle. Ibbo's been really out of touch (I'd say bottom half a dozen players since rd 3) so I just don't get why we wouldn't give someone like Luke Ryan a shot given we are playing Carlton? Thought "rebuild" mode meant we'd maintain the number of youngsters in the team.

I'm actually more annoyed that we didn't take a chance with another youngster in the back line given we didn't drop Danyle. Ibbo's been really out of touch (I'd say bottom half a dozen players since rd 3) so I just don't get why we wouldn't give someone like Luke Ryan a shot given we are playing Carlton? Thought "rebuild" mode meant we'd maintain the number of youngsters in the team.

I think they're just really loath to make unforced changes to a winning team. Hopefully we see someone like Ryan next week even if we beat Carlton.

Umm not surprising tucker out , somebody suggest he is homesick too :rolleyes:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Hill was quite crook yesterday. Apparently only a small chance of playing today. Could be why sheridan was on limited minutes at Peel

Pearce had 22 possessions, 4 tackles and a goal. Tucker had 13 and 2 tackles. You need to have some kind of selection integrity.

This is absolutely bang on.

Don't wanna be gifting Tucker a game when he has 13 touches and 50% game time when others in the team contributed more. Doesn't send a great message to other players and Tucker. When he knows his spot isn't guaranteed he's gonna work a lot harder for it.

Plus, why make whole sale changes if not needed? Hill needed to come in as he's a top 5 player.

Good chance that if a Sutcliffe or Ibbotosn has a shocker today that Ryan will come in next week

Ibbotson makes one mistake and people call it a shocker. Once you get scapegoat status no game is ever goid enough.
Yeah nah, he's basically gifted the opposition a goal or two (or at least a shot on goal) almost every game this season. He doesnt attack the ball hard enough at ground level and it's as if he can't think and move at the same time.

I'm actually more annoyed that we didn't take a chance with another youngster in the back line given we didn't drop Danyle. Ibbo's been really out of touch (I'd say bottom half a dozen players since rd 3) so I just don't get why we wouldn't give someone like Luke Ryan a shot given we are playing Carlton? Thought "rebuild" mode meant we'd maintain the number of youngsters in the team.[/QUOTE
Carlton should really be up for this, and our team has looked better when we are looking to the future, bringing something
different, to an otherwise typical Ross Lyon line up.
The youth has ignited the team, never conceded defeat, sure they make rookie mistakes, but the enthusiasm is infectious.
We are winning by small margins, but could we be better, room for improvement? My opinion is yes, there is so much
more to our team looking forward, than reaching back into our past.

Ibbotson makes one mistake and people call it a shocker. Once you get scapegoat status no game is ever goid enough.
I was a fairly vocal supporter of Ibbo in 2016 but this year I'm finding t pretty hard to defend him. It's not just him making mistakes and doing very little in attack, he's just not as good defensively or from an intercepting p.o.v. either as he was in the past. I feel a bit the same with Spurr although at least with him he'll put his body on the line and he's also had a couple of decent games this season. Of course there is a risk bringing in inexperienced players over seasoned stalwarts like these guys but isn't the first year of a rebuild the ideal time to take those risks? I also think the performance of our back line has directly correlated to how our midfield is doing at the time. And I think our midfield is building nicely so the sooner we can inject more skills and speed the better as I don't think we'll collapse defensively by doing so (eg taking Dawson out didn't make us weaker defensively as a whole team).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back