Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Atleast we can say we did ot the Melbourne way, missed out playing in the GF by losing to the bottom side who only won a single game for the year.

Really cant see why the clubs dont keep their whole list together and have a draft for new girls and players that have been cut, how else do they create a better standard of football of they keep switching players around clubs

Atleast we can say we did ot the Melbourne way, missed out playing in the GF by losing to the bottom side who only won a single game for the year.
Sometimes I feel like everything in football is predetermined by a higher power. Today is one of those days.

6 Melbourne players named in the woman's AA

Looking forward to Daisy in her commentary role this season, from the opening advert looks like shes gonna get a more prominent gig at games

Jeez the media are slow. We were onto this weeks ago.

Lions aren't actually too upset about this. She's very high maintenance and not team oriented. Sulky. Starcevich is after a specific mindset.

She intends to pack it in in a couple of years to pursue boxing professionally so you wouldn't want to give too much away at the trade table.

Lions aren't actually too upset about this. She's very high maintenance and not team oriented. Sulky. Starcevich is after a specific mindset.

She intends to pack it in in a couple of years to pursue boxing professionally so you wouldn't want to give too much away at the trade table.
You drive a hard bargain, but alright. 3rd round pick, throw in SFB too and we're even.

So she's basically lady Aker.

Hot favourites not even mentioned in the article. That being the Western Bulldogs.

For trade to work, you have to convince two or more part-time footballers to move to Queensland.

If you cannot, she goes into the 'Victorian draft pool' (different to AFL men's) where the Doggies have the first pick... and they need another forward!

Hot favourites not even mentioned in the article. That being the Western Bulldogs.

For trade to work, you have to convince two or more part-time footballers to move to Queensland.

If you cannot, she goes into the 'Victorian draft pool' (different to AFL men's) where the Doggies have the first pick... and they need another forward!
Can't we trade a pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't we trade a pick?

Trading picks is only worth something to other Victorian clubs, with four teams picking from the pool.

Trading a pick to the Lions is worth zero for them. They have exclusive access to everyone who nominated for the Queensland draft pool.

Unlike AFL Men's it's not a true national draft. The players nominate what state's draft pool they want to be taken from.

Trading picks is only worth something to other Victorian clubs, with four teams picking from the pool.

Trading a pick to the Lions is worth zero for them. They have exclusive access to everyone who nominated for the Queensland draft pool.

Unlike AFL Men's it's not a true national draft. The players nominate what state's draft pool they want to be taken from.
Can we trade you Jake Melksham?

We need to get izzy huntington in the draft. She is an absolute gun. Was ineligible (due to age) to play vfl last year so played next level down and was clear best on ground in all 4 games (including against Bendigo who had multiple aflw players drafted). Won the club b&f playing only 4 games and was ?2nd or ?3rd in the league b&f too! Tall, fast, great mark and beautiful kick. She will be the best player in the league in a few years. And a dees fan! Only problem is she did her ACL last year but she'll be back soon. Make it happen dees!

Haven't spoken about it much, but the trade period started today.

Rules
2018 list is 27 senior listed + 3 rookies for a total of 30
Clubs may re-sign up to 22 players of their 27 listed in 2017 - thus 5 must be delisted. Players signed from 15-25 May.
Trading is basically per AFL rules.
Future picks cannot be traded.
All contracts must be lodged by May 25 (list lodgement 1).
Free Agency May 29 - June 1 - all players without a contract are eligible.
Father-daughter rule is in play for AFLW draft - father only needs to have played 1 game.

Delistings
Personally think Jolly and Kemp are in trouble. Much harder from there as so many played a role.

Must keeps:
- The trio of Daisy, Pax and Elise
- Mifsud
- Mel Hickey
- Cat Phillips
- Deanna Berry
- Katherine Smith
- Lily Mithen
- Emma Humphries
- Jas Grierson
- Meg Downie
- Lauren Pearce

That's 11 that we absolutely have to keep IMO. Beyond that I'm not really sure where we go.

I'd probably delist De Bortoli, Randall, Jolly, Clifford and one of Boyd/Anderson. Kemp offered a bit - strong hands, clean kick and I think has more upside as a relative youngster.

As for trading, I don't really want to lose anyone from the rest of our list and we probably only need another genuine forward line player (pref. someone like a Harris but who knows where/if she will go) so wouldn't mind if we just trusted in our recruiting team once more. K. Hore seems like a decent pickup.

Thought Clifford did some good shut down roles. Was she on Hope in the Pies game? I know Moana had a slower start to the year though...

Will be interesting to see if we're active in the trade period. FWIW I'd be happy if we play it cool. We're not far off and don't need to do anything to upset what I think seems to be a pretty good team dynamic.

Thought Clifford did some good shut down roles. Was she on Hope in the Pies game? I know Moana had a slower start to the year though...

Will be interesting to see if we're active in the trade period. FWIW I'd be happy if we play it cool. We're not far off and don't need to do anything to upset what I think seems to be a pretty good team dynamic.
I'm happy if we play it cool as long as we also land the biggest target going round in Tayla Harris :p

Any chance we could convince Jess Trengove to switch sports? Would be a great story and I reckon she'd be really good just based on her sheer athleticism.
Think she's having a crack at 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back