Preview Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 21st May 4.40PM (AEST) @ Domain Stadium - Final Team post #778

Status
Not open for further replies.

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Although not a big fan of Boekhorst , was interested in seeing him play at Subiaco with some northern blues form under his belt. On the wide open spaces of Subiaco he may have shown something.

Will be keen to see what Cunningham can do.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Certainly hopeful that Cuningham brings his stoppage busting to the game. It's Dangerfield stuff when he's on.

As for Boekhorst
There's room to run but It's not wide or open. It's cigar shaped and the most easily defended ground in the country if you've got your s**t together.

But most teams don't but I think we can defend effectively, scoring will be the issue. For Boek to impact he'd have to be able to run and carry the ball, often under pressure.

I was a fan until some of his work last year and the JLT , then he lost me,. Looks like the MC are the same and want to see his work under pressure before promoting.

Or if Boek could somehow develop a Brad Hill type tank then he really could do some damage. I think teams will look at the work Hill is doing and see it as s game changer, a combination of speed and endurance that any be tagged.

Last edited:
Barass70 intimated he will play back this week so we may yet get our wish

So, if Weitering did go back, what happens?
Disrupt the continuity of the back 6?

Wouldn't we be way too tall? Send Marchbank forward because Weitering didn't cut it?
.............................Docherty Rowe Plowman
.........................Weitering ASilvagni Marchbank......??????

I don't know. When the crunch comes, I think Weitering stays where he is, unless he's just finding it too hard.
Weitering freed up on the wing? I'd like to see that.. :)

Benaly28

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
For the old schoolies out there:

"Richie bursts from the pack handballs to potsy who gives to Ralph malph he switches play and kicks to the fat side and finds the fonz he bounces once,twice dummies around kicks inside 50 to CHACHI!!!,quick handball back to Richie who fires for goal......cunnnnniiiggghhhammmmmmm.Magnificent transference of the air conveyance.Blues on the board great play Richie.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
So, if Weitering did go back, what happens?
Disrupt the continuity of the back 6?

Wouldn't we be way too tall? Send Marchbank forward because Weitering didn't cut it?
.............................Docherty Rowe Plowman
.........................Weitering ASilvagni Marchbank......??????

I don't know. When the crunch comes, I think Weitering stays where he is, unless he's just finding it too hard.
Weitering freed up on the wing? I'd like to see that.. :)

Not sure what will happen but obviously one tall will need to go forward? Then again it may be why White was dropped? Height and run doesn't seem to matter at the moment as we are playing a very controlled possession game. Not a lot of run and attack at the moment.

As Bolts said it's about development for Weitering so he can play both ends. He's now had 8 games forward and in our side that isn't easy. I'd just like to see him go back and get a few touches and play with a bit of freedom again.

You mentioned continuity and fair enough but I would love to see Weitering Marchbank Plowman Docherty all play together for an extended period. IMO that is the basis for our defence for the next 8-10 years and it could be our best ever.

Last edited:

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
If Weitering kicks a goal a game and adds structure to our forward line and it creates space for Charlie and SOS to add value up forward - I am okay with Weitering forward. Might be a stretch but is Casboult playing better because of Weits?

Not sure why he shouldn't be forward - which is it:
- we have another KPF in the magoos who could do better right now? McKay not yet, Jones maybe (that's a big maybe that's probably not likely), Jaksch (who knows really why he hasn't been given a chance but the MC must have a reason)
- we don't have another KPD who can intercept? Marchy seems to be doing just as well as Weitering did last year - I personally prefer the Marchy (CHB) and Weits (CHF) combo then last years version that involved a second ruck as our KPF.
- Weitering and Marchbank could both play in the backline together? Sure they could but that means either ASOS or Rowe would be out but why do that, can't see the upside in that if it means we bring in Jones, McKay not yet) or Jaksch

So based on my half arsed analysis, Weitering has averaged as many goals after 6 games forward then Jones and surely has more upside. McKay has massive potential but not there yet as decided by the MC and Jaksch has done a Dean Jones to the someone on the MC or maybe the goals he gets are just VFL goals and not going to translate.
On that basis we now Weitering can dominate down back, we ain't playing finals this year so why not get 20 games up forward into him if the backline is settled.

Not having a go FBI but keen to understand the reasoning
Not a stretch at all. Levi also played better when Jones was in the side.

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton

"Richie bursts from the pack handballs to potsy who gives to Ralph malph he switches play and kicks to the fat side and finds the fonz he bounces once,twice dummies around kicks inside 50 to CHACHI!!!,quick handball back to Richie who fires for goal......cunnnnniiiggghhhammmmmmm.Magnificent transference of the air conveyance.Blues on the board great play Richie.
Mork from the planet Ork umpiring and the Tuscadero sisters in the stands?

You mentioned continuity and fair enough but I would love to see Weitering Marchbank Plowman Docherty all play together for an extended period. IMO that is the basis for our defence for the next 8-10 years and it could be our best ever.

Who knows, as others may make their way into the back-line.
That does look to be a very expensive starting point for a back-line, though.

No matter what the TPP may be, it will always be a squeeze fitting in all the talent you may want across the squad and I'm not sure it should be weighted into the back half of the ground.

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Joanie died a couple weeks back

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Who knows, as others may make their way into the back-line.
That does look to be a very expensive starting point for a back-line, though.

No matter what the TPP may be, it will always be a squeeze fitting in all the talent you may want across the squad and I'm not sure it should be weighted into the back half of the ground.

I have no idea on that stuff. I am just a believer that great defences win flags. That defence with a strong midfield will be hard to beat especially in big games. What I like is that defence is also very attacking. All find their own ball and use it well. Add Byrne & Macreadie (I forgot Williamson) and its one talented back six with depth, possibly as good as Carlton has ever had. Whichever way Bolts works it we have that area well covered. :)

I have no idea on that stuff. I am just a believer that great defences win flags. That defence with a strong midfield will be hard to beat especially in big games. What I like is that defence is also very attacking. All find their own ball and use it well. Add Byrne & Macreadie (I forgot Williamson) and its one talented back six with depth, possibly as good as Carlton has ever had. Whichever way Bolts works it we have that area well covered. :)

Great midfields win flags too.......as does a great forward line.
Generally speaking though, great teams win premierships.

The point is that if your back-line is costing you more than your midfield or your forward line, something may not be quite right.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

The point is that if your back-line is costing you more than your midfield or your forward line, something may not be quite right.

Agree. Probably my poor wording but I believe you build a great side with the defence and mid as the focus. Get that right and anything can happen. Amazing how any forward line can function if you get that right. Been a long while since a really top level looking forward line has won a flag.

Benaly28

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Ba

Backlines win flags,granted a good midfield helps but ultimately it's the backline that determines results especially in finals.Look at hawthorns recruiting with lake,Gibson,Burgoyne,Birchall etc then Geelong with Scarlett,Kelly,Taylor, etc I'm not saying all the time but your defence is the first line of attack.If you were to look at every side you'll see a trend of what's now called the quarterback rebound of half back.
Tuohy,Docherty,Zjones,Johansen,murphybob,Yeo,Polec,roberton etc.just to name a few.If you were to pick our most IMPORTANT player(not best) in our side,who would you pick?

Smegger

Club Legend
May 19, 2016
place without a postcard
AFL Club
Carlton
Ba

Backlines win flags,granted a good midfield helps but ultimately it's the backline that determines results especially in finals.Look at hawthorns recruiting with lake,Gibson,Burgoyne,Birchall etc then Geelong with Scarlett,Kelly,Taylor, etc I'm not saying all the time but your defence is the first line of attack.If you were to look at every side you'll see a trend of what's now called the quarterback rebound of half back.
Tuohy,Docherty,Zjones,Johansen,murphybob,Yeo,Polec,roberton etc.just to name a few.If you were to pick our most IMPORTANT player(not best) in our side,who would you pick?
Kreuzer

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Ba

At this stage, Doc, he is our designated quarterback you speak of and has all the attributes to set up our first line of attack. As we progress as a side, he will be unleashed to become a more offensive force

Where are the Hooper triplets?

Bulldogs won a flag with discard KPDs and one genuine gun rebounding defender.
Backlines don't win flags.
Team defence and elite ball movement do.

The Carlton teams of old were blessed with great back-lines and that's what we remember, but we can forget that the attacks weren't shabby either.

The back-line has to be good but it doesn't have to be 'rich' to do its job.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The Carlton teams of old were blessed with great back-lines and that's what we remember, but we can forget that the attacks weren't shabby either.

Ya reckon! I remember having Rod Galt & Peter Brown along with Percy Jones as our key forward targets in Premiership years. Ross Ditchburn looked good but got knocked out early in a GF. ;)

Games changed so much in last 5-10 years. Run and create from defence and through the midfield is now the key both with and without the ball.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
At this stage, Doc, he is our designated quarterback you speak of and has all the attributes to set up our first line of attack. As we progress as a side, he will be unleashed to become a more offensive force

Agree plus Weitering & Williamson are elite ball users and Byrne will add even more. Nice to have options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back