News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh, and once you understand wind and tacking, you won't want to miss a second of the Sydney to Hobart coverage.
must be hard to explain why so many people still love test cricket then

Is there a method to our madness? I have clearly stated i have no idea about e-sports, do you think its a worthwhile enterprise or a waste of time, or just plain clueless like myself?

My prediction is that the league owners will be rolling in the dough, but team owners getting their fair share may not eventuate. For every pro gaming team player, there's a thousand gamers ready to take their place. They might not be as good, but then again, individually they might, but haven't been paired with a strong grouping.

My prediction is that the league owners will be rolling in the dough, but team owners getting their fair share may not eventuate. For every pro gaming team player, there's a thousand gamers ready to take their place. They might not be as good, but then again, individually they might, but haven't been paired with a strong grouping.
Maybe we should concentrate on winning flags instead of wasting 6 figure sums on e-games teams (as they should be known)

must be hard to explain why so many people still love test cricket then

Haven't watched cricket of any type for more than a few minutes in over a decade. Boring as bat s**t, I couldn't care less if we win or lose. Interesting that the value of the rights has recently been slashed though. But really, when you look a little deeper, patriotism is a very important driver of that interest. No different to club level support and this is why there's many failed examples of the, "build it and they will come" methodology for creating elite level sporting teams out of thin air. This might shock, I'm not a gamer, but from the outside, I can't yet see how these teams will end up with a legion of fans that will buy branded merchandise, pay $50 for a yearly membership to receive email updates or generate even reasonable promotional revenue. And obviously a percentage of gate and catering receipts will be out of the question.

I will say this about cricket though, I was lucky enough to be flicking through channels and happened to watch Punter sing the Waugh sledge song during the 20:20. That was the most entertaining piece of cricket I'd seen in over 2 decades.

There's a rather large contingent of 'old man yells at cloud' in this thread.

To be fair, there's yet to be made an argument as to how this translates exactly to us making a surplus from this department or transitioning eFans across to our AFL teams. There's a bit of the dot com bust belief though. There's money to be made, not sure how it's actually done, but we gotta get or money in there. I have no doubt it's an enormous industry and there's money to be made, but on the surface it appears as though that's in control of league owners.

I'm not here to criticise the club and I haven't. I tend to trust Fagan, I'm just asking those in the know how this will actually assist us in achieving our core mission. Obviously it will relate to greater resourcing, but a detailed explanation is yet to come forth. I think there's a lot of belief, but not a lot of understanding into the actual revenue structures or realistic opportunities.

To be fair, there's yet to be made an argument as to how this translates exactly to us making a surplus from this department or transitioning eFans across to our AFL teams. There's a bit of the dot com bust belief though. There's money to be made, not sure how it's actually done, but we gotta get or money in there. I have no doubt it's an enormous industry and there's money to be made, but on the surface it appears as though that's in control of league owners.

I'm not here to criticise the club and I haven't. I tend to trust Fagan, I'm just asking those in the know how this will actually assist us in achieving our core mission. Obviously it will relate to greater resourcing, but a detailed explanation is yet to come forth. I think there's a lot of belief, but not a lot of understanding into the actual revenue structures or realistic opportunities.
Agree. I just want to know how this will make us better as a club. Plus gauging from those with knowledge on the subject helps form your own opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh FFS buy a clue

In 2 years no one will remember we even did this

Ah good morning Mr Sanders

https://dotesports.com/general/the-biggest-investments-esports-3871

Philadelphia 76ers acquire Team Dignitas and Apex

Immortals acquire Team 8 LCS spot, backed by venture capital funding;

Sacramento Kings co-owners buy Team Coast LCS spot, start NRG eSports; Shaq, A-Rod, and Jimmy Rollins invest in NRG eSports

Russia's richest man invests into Virtus.pro

FC Schalke 04 acquire Elements LCS spot

Controlling interest of Team Liquid sold to NBA owners, Magic Johnson

Rick Fox acquires Gravity Gaming LCS spot, founds Echo Fox

Celtics player Jonas Jerebko buys out Renegades

Maybe you're right, and no one will remember... but i'd rather us fail at the cutting edge, rather than fail at the back of the pack. This list has a couple of professional sports teams, a few pro sport players, venture capitalists and "Russia's richest man". If it was one group, i'd think maybe it's silly. But people from differing fields are looking into it, so it has more weight with me.

http://fusion.kinja.com/why-nba-team-owners-are-buying-esports-teams-1793862405

Like how rucci has a shot at AFC over this linking it being anti kids in active sports... The level this guy goes to troll us. I'm sure if powa did this s it would be innovating world leader. First ever in the world's...Wank wank.
Unfortunately we don't have two licenced venues full of pokies that don't generate about 7mill of revenue for us a year.

And yes I am pro pokies as a revenue source. But wont deny they are not exactly socially responsible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Haven't watched cricket of any type for more than a few minutes in over a decade. Boring as bat s**t, I couldn't care less if we win or lose. Interesting that the value of the rights has recently been slashed though. But really, when you look a little deeper, patriotism is a very important driver of that interest. No different to club level support and this is why there's many failed examples of the, "build it and they will come" methodology for creating elite level sporting teams out of thin air. This might shock, I'm not a gamer, but from the outside, I can't yet see how these teams will end up with a legion of fans that will buy branded merchandise, pay $50 for a yearly membership to receive email updates or generate even reasonable promotional revenue. And obviously a percentage of gate and catering receipts will be out of the question.

I will say this about cricket though, I was lucky enough to be flicking through channels and happened to watch Punter sing the Waugh sledge song during the 20:20. That was the most entertaining piece of cricket I'd seen in over 2 decades.

I don't know my kids pretty much only watch pimply * sticks play computer games on U tube like for * sake they don't even play the games themselves.
They sit there both watching different videos with this excited voices crapping on it is ******* excruciating.
Then I turn the wifi off. Drives me insane.
Rant over.

Oh FFS buy a clue

In 2 years no one will remember we even did this
Do you mean... Because it will be main stream and no one will remember we were first? If so, I agree.

That doesn't mean it's not a good move.

What we are doing is extending our elite processes to another sport. Esports is just entering the professional era, and all the stuff we are knowledgeable in applies.

No doubt we will get some knowledge coming back the other way too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I don't know my kids pretty much only watch pimply **** sticks play computer games on U tube like for **** sake they don't even play the games themselves.
They sit there both watching different videos with this excited voices crapping on it is ******* excruciating.
Rant over.
uhh, wrong

I see this as a way of using the stuff we know about running a sports team, online/content, managing corporate partners. Little if anything to do with extending our brand to the eSports market and attracting new supporters.

These are all areas we can afford to stretch ourselves in, we can boost these departments without AFL taxes and there would be plenty of talent out there to hire if required.

What we aren't doing is stretching our football resources, no ones flying to China mid season for example.

I don't know if it will take off here like it will elsewhere, but for it to be worthwhile to us it doesn't have to reach the heights it has in other countries because it costs a fraction of what it costs to run an NBA club to run an AFL one.

With all the money being invested it must have a good chance, I'd rather we were early and fail with a few hundred thousand, than it be a success and we're too late or not at all.

Do you mean... Because it will be main stream and no one will remember we were first? If so, I agree.

That doesn't mean it's not a good move.

What we are doing is extending our elite processes to another sport. Esports is just entering the professional era, and all the stuff we are knowledgeable in applies.

No doubt we will get some knowledge coming back the other way too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I reckon Sanders uses a typewriter to post here.....ding

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't know my kids pretty much only watch pimply **** sticks play computer games on U tube like for **** sake they don't even play the games themselves.
Rant over.
you sound like my wife:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back