Balic granted indefinite leave [Traded to Melbourne for pick 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

if homesickness is true then piss off back to mummy's apron string's sooky lala soft utensil
and have a good think about what being a grown up is all about before you nominate for the draft
give jeff white a call and catch up for coffee so you can catch up and compare notes on how nice it is to be able to have mum come around and pick up after you

play him at peel reserves for the rest of the year
Speculation is OK , but this kind of tougher up post is not easy to digest to be honest, especially to a young men like balic.

Speculation is OK , but this kind of tougher up post is not easy to digest to be honest, especially to a young men like balic.
I agree. We have no idea what the problem is. Is this same poster telling Cam Mac to toughen up ya blouse or Brad Hill that he is soft. It goes both ways.

Whatever is happening with Balic he needs to be with family at the moment. Fine with me. I hope he is back soon. If he wants a trade back to Vic so be it. We work on getting a decent pick. Marcus Drum who was crapola netted us a 3rd round pick. Robert Warnock got us a 2nd round pick.

But let's worry about that at the end of the season. The media are just making stuff up

I agree. We have no idea what the problem is. Is this same poster telling Cam Mac to toughen up ya blouse or Brad Hill that he is soft. It goes both ways.

Whatever is happening with Balic he needs to be with family at the moment. Fine with me. I hope he is back soon. If he wants a trade back to Vic so be it. We work on getting a decent pick. Marcus Drum who was crapola netted us a 3rd round pick. Robert Warnock got us a 2nd round pick.

But let's worry about that at the end of the season. The media are just making stuff up
In my opinion pick is secondary, of course I will like a better pick if other club willing. I don't mind terming a certain player soft on field as we all have different opinion or perception. But homesickness, mental health ,slagging players family members discussion is not in our position to judge.

Last edited:
Generally, most people who go off on a working holiday have some boundaries. Very often it's a mere 2 year thing which is easy to come to terms with, whereas we are asking 18 year olds to live on the other side of the country indefinitely, how long did Pav play for us, 16 years?

It's a way different thing to FIFO. FIFO you are home often and for a while, even with a regular return home some people find that difficult, suicide and other issues aren't unheard of. But for these young footie players, they don't get to fly home regularly and if any of these youngsters had a girlfriend left behind - that could be for a decade unless they uprooted their lives as well.

I'll try another tact. So what are the options re trade etc... should a player be out of contract and not want to resign with the current club?

I'll try another tact. So what are the options re trade etc... should a player be out of contract and not want to resign with the current club?
If a contract is offered and they don't sign, they need the club to agree to a trade. Otherwise, it's off to the draft. I think they can put a price on their head though.

if homesickness is true then piss off back to mummy's apron string's sooky lala soft utensil
and have a good think about what being a grown up is all about before you nominate for the draft
give jeff white a call and catch up for coffee so you can catch up and compare notes on how nice it is to be able to have mum come around and pick up after you

play him at peel reserves for the rest of the year
Jeez this is embarrassing and narrow-minded. Do you feel like more of a "man" writing this type of stuff?

How can you say this when we recently acquired Cam McCarthy due to homesickness?

Balic looks like a real talent and I hope he stays. As alluded to by others on this forum we have benefited from varying degrees of homesickness over many years and especially last year with Hill, McCarthy, Kersten and Hamill.
So happy to let this one play out and hope for reasonable compensation if it comes to that.

However, by the club being understanding to his very real concerns/feelings has, in my view, given the club a small opportunity to work through the issue with Balic. Unlike GWS's approach which was hurtful to the player and leading to an inevitable result

Balic looks like a real talent and I hope he stays. As alluded to by others on this forum we have benefited from varying degrees of homesickness over many years and especially last year with Hill, McCarthy, Kersten and Hamill.
So happy to let this one play out and hope for reasonable compensation if it comes to that.

However, by the club being understanding to his very real concerns/feelings has, in my view, given the club a small opportunity to work through the issue with Balic. Unlike GWS's approach which was hurtful to the player and leading to an inevitable result
Probably shouldn't confuse choosing to return home (Hill, Kersten, Hamling) with homesickness. Totally different. I'll back Freo in to do best by the player, first and foremost, and then worry about looking after the clubs best interest should the need arise.

Probably shouldn't confuse choosing to return home (Hill, Kersten, Hamling) with homesickness. Totally different. I'll back Freo in to do best by the player, first and foremost, and then worry about looking after the clubs best interest should the need arise.

Yep agree, that was why I said varying degrees as it all gets very grey. McCarthy was clearly a very significant issue and B Hill also got to a stage where he felt he needed to come home (during a season) and had to make that clear to his team (this might end up similar to Balic) the others no idea how much or if it impacted them at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally, most people who go off on a working holiday have some boundaries. Very often it's a mere 2 year thing which is easy to come to terms with, whereas we are asking 18 year olds to live on the other side of the country indefinitely, how long did Pav play for us, 16 years?

It's a way different thing to FIFO. FIFO you are home often and for a while, even with a regular return home some people find that difficult, suicide and other issues aren't unheard of. But for these young footie players, they don't get to fly home regularly and if any of these youngsters had a girlfriend left behind - that could be for a decade unless they uprooted their lives as well.
It may be rare that a former player such as Pav chose to stay, as he didn't feel right about leaving his role with Freo. At least in part to what Freo had offered him and invested in him with regards to his AFL career. And what Freo were aspiring to achieve. No thanks Port Adelaide or Adelaide.

100% homesickness and nothing wrong with his dad which is good.. Will be back in Perth in a couple of weeks and I'd say it's too early to know how he will be feeling at the end of the season.
The indefinite period as far as the club believe is expected to be about 4 weeks.

The dees were very understanding with Hogan, his homesickness, and his old man. That turned out well for them, hopefully does for us.

Only thing is that we're not offering him a $1m+ contract.

There is no incentive to stay if another AFL club wants him.

Only thing is that we're not offering him a $1m+ contract.

There is no incentive to stay if another AFL club wants him.

That's because he's not a million dollar player (at least not yet). He'll be offered a good deal by us, comparable to what he's going to get elsewhere, then it's just a matter of whether he wants to play at Freo or some where else.

My guess is that he's not decided yet.

I thought we'd learnt our lesson with Vic metro kids, generally ends the same way. The positive is there should be a few clubs looking to give him a contract, so we should get fairly compensated.

He was a flight risk from day one, so it won't exactly be a surprise if he wants a trade.

I thought we'd learnt our lesson with Vic metro kids, generally ends the same way. The positive is there should be a few clubs looking to give him a contract, so we should get fairly compensated.

He was a flight risk from day one, so it won't exactly be a surprise if he wants a trade.
Besides Jeff White and Roberton, who are you thinking of in the last 30 years?

It's really a non-issue. Our retention rate is first class, our culture is healthy. Nobody has indicated that they're unhappy or want to leave. Storm in a teacup re: all these names wanting to leave based off baseless perpetuating of other posters rumours - so that nobody knows where it started.

If any of them choose to leave at the end of the year, the club deals with these things pretty well these days - and by the sounds of it, plenty of players want to come to WA. So it's really not a problem now, or in the future potentially come trade week.

Personally, I think Langdon signs on, Tucker signs on and Balic is probably 50/50. It's a long season and anything can happen.

Besides Jeff White and Roberton, who are you thinking of in the last 30 years?

Quiet SA will come in to tell us how good Viv could've been.

We've been lucky, we've traded a few but in general I think they all would've stayed. Even Roberton would've stayed had he not impregnated his gf.

Reckon we're one of the best clubs at retention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back