Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

I realise now I got too invested in our current crop of players haha. I don't want any of them to go as I think we were building something pretty special.

Having said that, Harris is great compensation. Just hope we don't rob Peta to pay Pauline.

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
All Blacks, Darebin Falcons
I realise now I got too invested in our current crop of players haha. I don't want any of them to go as I think we were building something pretty special.

Having said that, Harris is great compensation. Just hope we don't rob Peta to pay Pauline.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Went to all their matches in Melbourne, had chats with several of them after the games - a really special bunch of women.

Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
She snapped her achilles in the last training session before our first game, have you ever even seen her play? She's a fearless ball getting mid who tackles like a machine, I'd be keeping her on the list.

No, obv. haven't seen her play and I'd keep the whole list if it was a possibility. An injury like that is awful luck and it has cruelled a number of careers. Timing (and a dreadful AFL imposed list policy) is everything. Who would you delist?

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
If we get Tayla I suspect Mel will lose her marquee status.

I was wondering if Mel would lose it to Paxy anyway. I'm not saying she should, I love Mel, but Paxy was runner up in both our and the competition's B&F and the club might think that deserves a reward.

But apparently they aren't going to be called "marquee" players anymore. There will be two "Tier One" players ($17,946 per player, I guess the equivalent of the old marquee level), four "Tier Two" ($12,846), and the rest "Tier Three" ($9276), plus three rookies (no idea what, or if, they get paid if they aren't promoted to the main list). Each club also has a maximum of $40,000 "ambassador fund" it can pay out to the players for performing promotional duties, etc., with no more than $10,000 being able to be paid to any one individual.

So that raises the question, who will be at level one and two? For now let's assume no Harris or Jakobsson and working with the current crop of players, obviously Daisy will be a Tier One and then I guess either Mel or, as I said before, Paxy. Elise would also be a chance, I guess. As for Tier Two that leaves two of Mel, Paxy and Elise along with..........that's where it gets interesting, with only two more spots available. Cat? Deanna? Katherine? Lily? Jasmine? Laura? Alyssa? And that's without considering Harris or Jakobsson who you would assume are strong contenders for Tier Two.

One more thought. The Tier level brings with it another factor. Putting all the players on known pay scales is making a public statement about the relative assessed worth of each player to the club. This is something we don't have in the men's game, as their salaries are private, I'd guess even to each other. In the first season of the women's game I doubt such matters really entered into anyone's mind, I'm sure nobody begrudged Daisy and Mel getting paid more. However as the competition settles I think you might start seeing some resentments, it's human nature. Not at the Dees, of course, with our wonderful collection of women, only at those other more unsavory type of clubs. ;)

Apparently we're in the hunt for Bianca Jakobssen now that Carlton have offered her up.
A three-way deal between Melbourne, Carlton and Brisbane could finally see Lions forward Tayla Harris land at the Blues.

It’s believed the AFL has rejected two deals put to the Lions for Harris, but Harris and the Blues still haven’t given up.

The AFLW exchange period is expected to heat up from noon today.

Carlton forward Bianca Jakobsson was originally part of the exchange for Harris, but it’s now believed Jakobsson wants to join Melbourne.

This change of heart could see the Demons trade a player and a pick to Carlton for Jakobsson.

The Blues could then deal with Brisbane for Harris.

Collingwood vice captain Alicia Eva is expected to join GWS, but the deal hasn’t been officially signed off.

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Apparently Carlton are really going hard after Deanna Berry......meanwhile......

Three-way trade sees Pies sign Jaimee Lambert, GWS nab Alicia Eva, Dogs secure pick 1

http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...icia-eva-dogs-secure-pick-1-tayla-harris.html

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
So what can you guys tell me about Randall? I noticed a post above saying she should be delisted (but then I saw another post dumping on that one about another player on that delist list, so I'm not sure)

BTW, liked Ashleigh's work last year, thought she was pretty good. Treat her nice and I'll be happy:)

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
So what can you guys tell me about Randall? I noticed a post above saying she should be delisted (but then I saw another post dumping on that one about another player on that delist list, so I'm not sure)

BTW, liked Ashleigh's work last year, thought she was pretty good. Treat her nice and I'll be happy:)

Unfortunately for Peppa she injured her ankle early and didn't play a game. I think she originally came from an athletics background, certainly her pace was talked up when she was drafted (at #121).

Ashleigh played for us in the exhibition match against the Doggies in 2016 so let's just say she's returning home. :)

Apparently Carlton are really going hard after Deanna Berry......meanwhile......

Three-way trade sees Pies sign Jaimee Lambert, GWS nab Alicia Eva, Dogs secure pick 1

http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...icia-eva-dogs-secure-pick-1-tayla-harris.html

Would be devastated if we lost Berry. Up there with our most important players to keep. Think she'll be very very good.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Would be devastated if we lost Berry. Up there with our most important players to keep. Think she'll be very very good.
I would like to keep her. She was epic in her last couple of games.

Back