Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight, probably should have played harder ball. Richmond always seemed like they were only going to invest time into the Prestia trade. Did they consider Tom Mitchell? Already had 2 solid seasons 2 years prior that you could have considered as good as anything Prestia had produced and was cheaper.

Must be dropped/rested this week if the club is fair dinkum. In a poor team performance, Prestia's was the poorest. Miles can provide what Prestia does now, and more.

Looked good R1 but struggled since, which is not too surprising given he is hardly able to train during the week. Some suggestion that Gold Coast flogged their players early on hard grounds which is why Prestia, O'Meara and others have problems.

Only 24 so rest him and get him right, even if he needs the year off.

Guy McKenna assures everyone that he knows nothing about this ...
Or anything else that happened at Gold Coast
Or West Coast
And probably even essendon ...

it doesn't sound like Lewis wanted to leave
Mitchell appears to be a move for a future position as a coach. Get out of the system you've known for 15 odd years and broaden the knowledge.
Lewis has been pretty magnanimous about the whole thing, but you get the feeling he left on principle for being asked to potentially look elsewhere.

Yes, I think Lewis wanted to stay, but I think he wanted to stay with a contract extension that we were not willing to offer him in advance. He may well have been given another one year contract at the end of this year, but it seems we were not willing to do so. He probably asked his manager to see what else was out there after that, and Melbourne were offering 3 years which was an offer too good to refuse given we were not offering more than his existing 1 with any certainty. I think Hawthorn wanted him to stay after Mitchell was going, so I don't think he was pushed, and I think we were generous to allow him to go and break his contract. He probably wanted to stay a one club player, but not at the expense of potentially two years of income, which is fair enough.

Losing both has hurt the hawks. Undermined your midfield setup and essentially robbed you of your main weapon. Clean clearances and effective kicking from stoppages.

We've been getting increasingly bad in generating clearances with Lewis and Mitchell in the team, where we've dropped from first, to 5th to 10th in the previous 3 years. This is partly because we've also gotten worse and worse in contested possession, 6th in 2014, 13th in 2015, last in 2016. We'd done well in previous years despite not being top ranking in this area, but clearly this started to fall apart last year. Teams were finding ways to move the ball on after being tackled which made it more important to win the contested possession or get killed on clearances. Of course removing our two most consistent ball winners, and #1 and #2 in our B&F hasn't helped, but neither were they the solution to this issue, rather they appear to have been part of the problem.

Not so bad when you still hold your 1st and 2nd rd picks and a slide down the ladder can fast track a rebuild.

We've turned those picks into players we can use right now, and hopefully for the next 7+ years. Mitchell is a very able replacement for Lewis, Sam Mitchell is effectively irreplaceable, but hopefully once he has some more footy behind him JOM will be a much better immediate replacement than even a good first round pick would have been in the short term, and potentially in the long term.

In any case, this is no longer on topic for the thread now.

As for the Tiges and Prestia. I would say no. Pick 6 likely nets them Brodie, who is the closest you get to Prestia from the draft. Prestia came ready made and the Tigers have a solid enough list now.
They really only lack another quality tall defender & forward before they can push for a flag.

I would say pick 6 is probably disappointing given his output so far, but like Hawks with JOM, Tigers fans will be hoping they haven't seen his best yet - although he definitely has less excuses than JOM does so far.

In hindsight, probably should have played harder ball. Richmond always seemed like they were only going to invest time into the Prestia trade. Did they consider Tom Mitchell? Already had 2 solid seasons 2 years prior that you could have considered as good as anything Prestia had produced and was cheaper.

That's a great question although there was a lot of talk that Tom Mitchell was overated and was Sydney's fifth best midfielder and Richmond's mind was already set anyway.

However if Tom Mitchell was in last years draft he would have definitely been a top five pick and since coming across has really proven himself to be a gun player and we got him at a bargain basement price.

I'm surprised that Carlton didn't have a crack at landing him but then again, he was from Sydney not Greater Western Sydney ;)

How much did they offer Prestia?
I read somewhere that they put more on the table for him than what they did for Treloar in the previous off-season.

Regardless, this will forever be a questionable move to make from the club.
im pretty sure hes on $700 for 5 years.. cost us 1 first rounder, trelor cost coll 2 first rounders.

im pretty sure hes on $700 for 5 years.. cost us 1 first rounder, trelor cost coll 2 first rounders.

I was referring to money offered, not what picks were traded.

I heard somewhere they only offered Treloar $600k over 3 or 4 years. If that contract info you given is true, then it so far looks like a major kick in the guts for the tigers.

I was referring to money offered, not what picks were traded.

I heard somewhere they only offered Treloar $600k over 3 or 4 years. If that contract info you given is true, then it so far looks like a major kick in the guts for the tigers.
Not sure what trelor is on, would have to be over $700..

OP had to wait 6 rounds until we lost one so he could post this, seems a silly comment and very premature after so few games.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Dion_Prestia.html

He is averaging 21 possessions a game with 5 tackles a game and playing a lot of time off the half back line, he is playing a role for us and doing fine.

He's better than what he's shown so far. I reckon pick 6 was a fair price for an established player of that quality and age. Its possible they may have gotten a better player with pick 6 but there is every chance they wouldn't have. Certainly he will be better in the next 3 years than basically anyone they could have drafted and I'd suggest that if Richmond have a window it would probably be in that kind of time period.

The trade was Treloar + pick 32 for Pick 9 (2015), Pick 65 (2015) and Pick 8 (2016). It was definitely a high price to pay (I'd imagine the club expected to finish higher in 2016) but we can't complain really. Treloar is a genuine A grade mid who has Prestia covered in both ability/output and also durability. Treloar's first season was class, finished 5th in the Brownlow and 2nd in the b&f.

Prestia will be fine long term but the injuries have set him back a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trade was Treloar + pick 32 for Pick 9 (2015), Pick 65 (2015) and Pick 8 (2016). It was definitely a high price to pay (I'd imagine the club expected to finish higher in 2016) but we can't complain really. Treloar is a genuine A grade mid who has Prestia covered in both ability/output and also durability. Treloar's first season was class, finished 5th in the Brownlow and 2nd in the b&f.

Prestia will be fine long term but the injuries have set him back a bit.
Hes honestly been worth it though, im glad we paid that much instead of letting him get traded elsewhere.

He's better than what he's shown so far. I reckon pick 6 was a fair price for an established player of that quality and age. Its possible they may have gotten a better player with pick 6 but there is every chance they wouldn't have. Certainly he will be better in the next 3 years than basically anyone they could have drafted and I'd suggest that if Richmond have a window it would probably be in that kind of time period.
Imagine if we had said no to a player like Prestia, who at 22 had two top 4 B&F's before injuries. "I'd like to go to Richmond', 'yeah, no thanks, might jag a better player at pick 6'. Imagine what Cotchin, Martin & co would have thought, 'what are we that far back we have to go for a complete rebuild.' It is no coincidence that those two are playing excellent football because they have gained a bit of confidence just having him there. Prestia and to a lesser extent Caddy, whilst not playing great footy have added structure and confidence and reliability, exactly what has been missing for years.

Hampson for a 2nd, that 2nd traded for Docthery.
Yarran for pick 19
Thanks Richmond

Pick 6 for Prestia, now that's a future Hall of famer
no the second we gave you for hampson you used on everitt so a 0-0 spud draw. then you used the yarran pick on cunningham who is a spud

When he gets a full preseason done for next year and gets back to his 2014 form in which he averaged 27 disposals and polled 13 brownlow votes, he will be a quality player at the Tiger's. This season just have to manage him through it unfortunately, due to his limited fitness.

on what planet can the tigers compete with giants, digs or crows and push for a flag? even with another good tall forward and defender (if drafted at least 3 years wait) they are miles away and have holes everywhere. gws first rounder is pick 18 - 20. rucks are average (nank has been beaten by kreuze, grundy and sauce) no run from defence and only really jack up forward (to be fair rioli looks good). got on a roll at the outset (blues were terrible against them) had a bit of luck (west coast should have nailed them but kicked badly and then the dees had no rucks and tigers got out of jail) now that there bubble has been pricked i suspect that they will come back to the field and finish 9th.
This sounds more like a Carlton supporters wishful thinking, so your saying we got lucky in 5 games in a row and then surprise surprise, you have us finishing ninth:rolleyes:

If you want to compare him to O'Meara - who still hasn't set the world on fire himself - Prestia has been s**t if you consider that Prestia is a year older, has played 4 more seasons than JOM, and doesn't have the excuse that's he has missed all of the last 2 seasons (although he has had his own issues). Gets slightly less of the ball compared to JOM (and that includes the game where JOM spent much of the game rested in a forward line that barely saw the ball after receiving his now infamous 'knee knock', and JOM hasn't played in a winning side yet). Prestia also gets more of his possessions from uncontested sources, and despite that, has lower disposal efficiency compared to JOM. Prestia is at least kicking it more than JOM, which is probably why he gets 1 more inside 50 than JOM per game. They've both been equally s**t with their shots on goal with 1 goals 3 behinds each, although Prestia has played two more games to get his single goal. Of course Tigers paid less for him than we did for JOM, but based on what we've seen so far, I think it is fair to say JOM has much more upside.

Knee soreness could sideline O'Meara for weeks

Ouch.

Its a pity they traded for Prestia we like trading with Richmond too... Hampson and Yarran being two standouts.

Please don't stop trading with us leave all other clubs alone. Remember you always want to rip us a new one and win in all trades.
True you got us the last 2 although hampson was good last year and just can't get on the park this year. Still Grigg for Collins still looks ok.

When he gets a full preseason done for next year and gets back to his 2014 form in which he averaged 27 disposals and polled 13 brownlow votes, he will be a quality player at the Tiger's. This season just have to manage him through it unfortunately, due to his limited fitness.

Absolutely spot on.

No pre season was always going to be average.

Mistake - too early to call.
Overpaid? I'd say so.
Made it pretty clear for weeks before trade period they were going to land a big fish so went through with it along with a bit of chest beating.
Has never been a great user, slightly quicker than average and not tall.
To be arguably the highest paid or very close to it at Richmond seems pretty ridiculous at this stage.
Reckon they'd give him back for SPS!
Sps is the Carlton kid yeah? Didn't he go at Carlton's first pick which was before Richmonds? That being the case he was unattainable anyway.

Yeah, now has two problems, the bone soreness (which the club swears is unrelated to his previous issues), and maintaining match fitness, which will be difficult to do with a leg problem, so sounds like they are saying now he'll have to overcome the soreness and then build match fitness again before he'll be picked again. Disappointing, but doesn't make Prestia any less s**t :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back