Where is roughy at?

Remove this Banner Ad

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Take away the last twelve months and i think a discussion needs to be had. He's played one good game this season and just seemingly lacks the grunt and passion that is needed for not only a player but a captain. Tonight saw him rarely try to break packs let alone get up for contests and just hasn't been a player that has been the 'I'm not letting us lose this or get out too much'. It's potentially harsh to lay the blame at one player when there are numerous that can be potted but for the team to do well he needs to lift 20-30% minimum.

Lets not debate what rough's been through and try to discuss how he should improve/ return to the mongrel aggressive player he once was.

He looked fine on TV. 18 touches and 6 marks.

Just didn't hit the scoreboard tonight, it was Sicily and Breust's turn.

Not in our best 22 but what can you do? The club would look ridiculous if they dropped him and there would be uproar. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place unfortunately.

Lol *edit* definitely an overreaction on my behalf. Still in our best 22 but there's no one there knocking down the door for his spot either.

Last edited:

Are you for real?????????
He's leading our goalkicking this year.

Knee-jerk crap from some drunk supporters. Get some rest guys.

With 16 goals at almost the halfway mark. It's not saying much. I'm not drunk at all, but I honestly think he has been very ordinary this year with maybe 1 good game? He's been through a lot and I think the captaincy is wearing him down so I give him a pass, but I don't think he's been much better than Gibbo this year and everyone is calling for his head.

*edit* definitely an overreaction on my behalf though...

The captaincy was a lovely gesture but I do worry we asked a bit much of the bloke with it.
No changing things now so gotta just get around the legend even more and even louder.

With 16 goals at almost the halfway mark. It's not saying much. I'm not drunk at all, but I honestly think he has been very ordinary this year with maybe 1 good game? He's been through a lot and I think the captaincy is wearing him down so I give him a pass, but I don't think he's been much better than Gibbo this year and everyone is calling for his head.

There have been plenty playing worse footy than Roughie. I'd continue to play him to get confidence in his body and match conditioning so that he's ready to hit 2018 in peak condition. Same for O'Meara when he's ready to return

All of our forwards have been down this year due to less opportunity and worse clearances from our underpowered midfield. What do you expect after losing champions like S Mitchell and Lewis?

Jeez I'm just so happy that he is well enough to be out there playing this year....he hasn't been great but hell I never thought he'd play again at some point last year. There's a lot going wrong with our team this year and him being made captain may be part of that, maybe it's not the role for him. Would love to see him clunk a few of those marks in F50 though.

Agreed. Mentioned this a few weeks ago in another thread. Too much too soon for the big man. Should have let him concentrate on getting back to 100% on the field before the captaincy.

As I was reading this thread I was watching the replay and saw him not be able to gather a loose ball and run into goal. Couldn't grab it, then didn't have the awareness just to soccer it through. Lacking touch. Needs to play through it though - not alone. Just unfortunate he can't focus on footy alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Mentioned this a few weeks ago in another thread. Too much too soon for the big man. Should have let him concentrate on getting back to 100% on the field before the captaincy.

As I was reading this thread I was watching the replay and saw him not be able to gather a loose ball and run into goal. Couldn't grab it, then didn't have the awareness just to soccer it through. Lacking touch. Needs to play through it though - not alone. Just unfortunate he can't focus on footy alone.
In my eyes he looks very slow as well and isn't giving enough presence in the contest both applying pressure and presence. Seems to play really well when they teams going well, but great players and captains help lift their team out no matter what.

I love roughy as much as any other big footy poster but can't see him going on past this year.

If Roughy is struggling then its up to other players to pick up the slack and support him. He's coming back from cancer, they ought to be inspired by his mere presence on a football field.

Maybe Clarko needs to change Roughy's role in the team if he isn't coping with the physical demands in the one he's been given. Perhaps fewer midfield minutes and more time closer to goal or something like that.

Firstly, these comments are rediculous..

.. And unlikely to have much future impact as a result.

.. but can't see him going on past this year.

He isn't dominating games like in past years but for a guy getting his game fitness back after 12 months out (and treatment that reversed his previous fitness levels) the guy is doing an amazing job. You could pick more than half the comp who is playing worse in a similar position.

However, I actually think the original question is an interesting one..

Lets not debate what rough's been through and try to discuss how he should improve/ return to the mongrel aggressive player he once was.

Thinking forward to next year we will likely lose at least Gibson and Hodge.

We also need to fit talls O'Brien, Gunston, Sicily and Vickery (maybe Shoey) into the same forward line as Rough.

My thought is to replace Gibson/Hodge with Roughead and use his skills to play that 3rd man up / general role. I've never been a fan of him playing a 1-on-1 defensive role but his skills could suit the sweeper.

He reads the flight of the ball very well, jumps better from the side to mark or punch, clean below his knees to mop up or win a contested ball, a huge tackler (Hannebery says hi), the kicking skills to setup running/spreading defenders or fwds leading up the wing, and just enough mongrel to help the younger backline stand a bit taller (ala Hodge). He knows the game plan inside-out and I always like captains better in the back half. When we don't play a spare man in defence he can have bursts in the midfield or throw him fwd for impact when required.

The change might be good for the team but might also be the challenge Rough needs to get that spark back, that many here think he's lacking this year.

There's still a few very good years left in Rough yet!

Firstly, these comments are rediculous..

He isn't dominating games like in past years but for a guy getting his game fitness back after 12 months out (and treatment that reversed his previous fitness levels) the guy is doing an amazing job. You could pick more than half the comp who is playing worse in a similar position.

However, I actually think the original question is an interesting one..

Thinking forward to next year we will likely lose at least Gibson and Hodge.

We also need to fit talls O'Brien, Gunston, Sicily and Vickery (maybe Shoey) into the same forward line as Rough.

My thought is to replace Gibson/Hodge with Roughead and use his skills to play that 3rd man up / general role. I've never been a fan of him playing a 1-on-1 defensive role but his skills could suit the sweeper.

He reads the flight of the ball very well, jumps better from the side to mark or punch, clean below his knees to mop up or win a contested ball, a huge tackler (Hannebery says hi), the kicking skills to setup running/spreading defenders or fwds leading up the wing, and just enough mongrel to help the younger backline stand a bit taller (ala Hodge). He knows the game plan inside-out and I always like captains better in the back half. When we don't play a spare man in defence he can have bursts in the midfield or throw him fwd for impact when required.

The change might be good for the team but might also be the challenge Rough needs to get that spark back, that many here think he's lacking this year.

There's still a few very good years left in Rough yet!
Gunston is a runner not a tall. I doubt Sicily (poor attitute will be traded) or Shoe (finished) will be at our club next year.
Rough will likely play out his career at FF.

Gunston is a runner not a tall. I doubt Sicily (poor attitute will be traded) or Shoe (finished) will be at our club next year.
Rough will likely play out his career at FF.

So at 193cm is Gunston a small or tall runner? Point is you can't fit to many 'talls' in a fwd line, need a balance of crumbers, which he is not.

Sicily and Shoe may not be there next year, but leaving Rough in the goal square with our midfield makes him worse off.

Think you missed the point of the thread.

Expecting Roughead to return from a year off with life-threatening cancer at the age of 30 and step back to career-best form is just wishful thinking.

Not many players play their best footy at his age. Even fewer do it after a year off and nobody has ever done it having gone through what he has.

We can't expect the Roughead of 2013-2015. He's contributing. He's not a star at the moment and probably won't be again. He can't take a mark and doesn't have the engine to play the midfield role he used to. He needs to focus on what he can do - lay heavy tackles and compete. I'd consider playing him at CHB and basing the forward line around TOB, Sicily and Gunston as the talls (get rid of Vickery).

Ultimately let's just be happy the big fella is out there. The enormity of his story is being lost in our shitty season.

So at 193cm is Gunston a small or tall runner? Point is you can't fit to many 'talls' in a fwd line, need a balance of crumbers, which he is not.

Sicily and Shoe may not be there next year, but leaving Rough in the goal square with our midfield makes him worse off.

Think you missed the point of the thread.
No, my answer to the OP is that he will probably never return to his aggressive, dynamic former self. His best game was when he parked himself at FF and kicked 4.
At FF has can use his smarts and goal sense and offers more than Sicily, whose best spot is also FF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back