List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if talkback radio in Adelaide is cause for concern . From what ive heard his manager is just waiting on clarification on TPP before signing.
Fair call although i would love it if afl was talked about on the radio in brisbane as much as adelaide. I was guessing that the TPP was what was holding it up because as far as ive seen he bleeds red and gold but i will admit to having a moment of doubt and panic. My bad...i am ashamed:pensive:

Good to see ASwallow has been picked this week. Interested to see how he responds to being dropped and if he would be worth recruiting next season.

Maybe 3 sets of brothers, Swallow, Kolodjashnij & Ah Chee...

Plus Rockets big Fyfe... I mean fish...

Plus Rockets big Fyfe... I mean fish...
I know it has been posted here before but I feel like this should be getting more of a run :D

rcWXleg.jpg

This is one of the biggest issue facing the Suns when it comes to landing a big fish. The Gold Coast is a small market (just under 600k), which means less opportunities for players to make money through third party agreements. Gary Ablett basically sucked all those third party deals dry in Queensland when he moved north. He became the QAFL community ambassador and had other deals along the journey like speaking on local radio station GOLD FM as well as writing opinion pieces for the Gold Coast Bulletin/Courier Mail. It may not seem like a big deal to the general public but there's a reason why you would often see Chris Judd on The Footy Show back in the day and why you now see guys like Patrick Dangerfield and Alex Rance making regular appearances. To further ram home this point, Tayla Harris didn't request a trade to Carlton because she loves the city of Melbourne or because they offered her ridiculous money. She was already on marquee money with the Lions. Her request most probably had to do with how much she stood to make off the field in a big market that has an appetite for Aussie rules.

So how does a small market team like the Suns land a big fish? Well, you have to pay overs in their salary to compensate for the money they won't be getting in third party agreements. However, there is still a league salary cap so you have to try your best to put together third party deals as well, hence the reason a guy like Jarryd Hayne did some work with Norton last year. I'm sure Dayne Beams is in a similar boat with the Lions and Johnathan Thurston likewise with the Cowboys. In fact, I think the Brisbane Broncos are the only team in Queensland that don't have these issues. The reason they don't have these issues is because they have a complete monopoly of the third largest market in Australia and that market happens to be VERY interested in their product (rugby league). Not having another rugby league team in Brisbane allows the Broncos to keep their lion share of the market and the NRL are very aware of that.

Unfortunately, your market size (and your product's share in said market) often dictates the recruitment strategies and the overall appeal. If Gary Ablett does end up leaving the Suns at the end of this year then that opens the door for a big fish to suck up those third party endorsements left behind so it's not out of the realms of possibility that there is an opportunity there BUT with Steven May currently off contract and Tom Lynch becoming a free agent next year, the club has to be really careful with how they proceed from here. Club loyalty is quickly diminishing in this league and players are really starting to value setting themselves up for life after footy more than they value the idea of staying loyal. Was this a factor in Jaeger O'Meara and/or Dion Prestia leaving the club? Have a look at some of Prestia's latest social media posts and you be the judge:

Zmmqf2z.jpg

pVIcaeu.jpg

z8tc3vF.jpg

I know it has been posted here before but I feel like this should be getting more of a run :D

rcWXleg.jpg
Finally this picture makes some sense to me. Rocket seen as a big fish at the time of hire I'm guessing.

Hope we throw some money at Harrison Himmelberg

Draft best available player with our first round - as long as they arent a small forward or rebounding defender

Hope we throw some money at Harrison Himmelberg

Draft best available player with our first round - as long as they arent a small forward or rebounding defender
This years draft seem to either be KP players or inside mids..

This years draft seem to either be KP players or inside mids..

If we were to draft around 4-7 you would have a choice of

big bodied inside mids: Cerra, LDU
3rd tall fwd / mid: Fogarty, Stephenson
powerful half forward flanker/inside mid: Rayner
Ruck/Key Forward: Hayes
Outside wing: O'Brien
Rebounding Centre Half Back: Brander

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were to draft around 4-7 you would have a choice of

big bodied inside mids: Cerra, LDU
3rd tall fwd / mid: Fogarty, Stephenson
powerful half forward flanker/inside mid: Rayner
Ruck/Key Forward: Hayes
Outside wing: O'Brien
Rebounding Centre Half Back: Brander
few of those are wrong, LDU is an more of an outside midfielder, can be both but at this stage is more outside,'
Brander is a key forward, and a bloody good one at that and Cerra isnt top 10, he is to slow in my opinion.

few of those are wrong, LDU is an more of an outside midfielder, can be both but at this stage is more outside,'
Brander is a key forward, and a bloody good one at that and Cerra isnt top 10, he is to slow in my opinion.

LDU I will wait to the champs to see how he plays
Cerra - some people rate him high, some people rate him low 1st rd
Brander - Played forward in the All-Star game last year and in School footy but Mick Ablett on the AFL Road to Draft podcast last week thinks CHB is his best position and would like to see him played there for the Allies in the Championships. Can do both but from what I saw more suited to backline with his agility and clean hands

I'm personally a big fan of Toby Wooller as our first pick. 193cm inside mid/forward.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

LDU I will wait to the champs to see how he plays
Cerra - some people rate him high, some people rate him low 1st rd
Brander - Played forward in the All-Star game last year and in School footy but Mick Ablett on the AFL Road to Draft podcast last week thinks CHB is his best position and would like to see him played there for the Allies in the Championships. Can do both but from what I saw more suited to backline with his agility and clean hands
LDU could be anything but he needs to add some consistency to his inside work, but i agree that after the Championships his position will become clearer,
I lke Cerra but i just dont think he will be anything more then a inside workhorse,
But Brander for me is 100% a forward, he just has the knack for it i think, look i could be completely wrong but that's my opinion on it

LDU could be anything but he needs to add some consistency to his inside work, but i agree that after the Championships his position will become clearer,
I lke Cerra but i just dont think he will be anything more then a inside workhorse,
But Brander for me is 100% a forward, he just has the knack for it i think, look i could be completely wrong but that's my opinion on it

I haven't seen any of Cerra or LDU (well 20 seconds of highlights from recent academy series but that doesn't really count), so just going on third hand info of what I've read and heard.

All I've seen of Brander is the All-Star game on GF day. Based on what you've seen could he play as a 3rd tall forward with Lynch and 2MP in our forward line? Seems to project be much more agile and better at ground level than Day is.

A Brander could be started down back to play 2nd or 3rd tall back during his early AFL development and swung forward at times. Would be a mouth watering prospect to be able swing Day and Brander around during games. Brander is definitely more a natural forward than what Sam Day is

I'm personally a big fan of Toby Wooller as our first pick. 193cm inside mid/forward.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Never seen him play but from what I've read would meet a need that we have for a 3rd tall forward.

Given our 1st pick looks like being in the top 8 of the draft this year it might be a bit of a reach according to the so called draft experts with that pick and he may still be available early in the 2nd rd (Hawks or GC pick).

Never seen him play but from what I've read would meet a need that we have for a 3rd tall forward.

Given our 1st pick looks like being in the top 8 of the draft this year it might be a bit of a reach according to the so called draft experts with that pick and he may still be available early in the 2nd rd (Hawks or GC pick).
I'd have a sizeable bet that he'll be a bolter come year's end.

I haven't seen any of Cerra or LDU (well 20 seconds of highlights from recent academy series but that doesn't really count), so just going on third hand info of what I've read and heard.

All I've seen of Brander is the All-Star game on GF day. Based on what you've seen could he play as a 3rd tall forward with Lynch and 2MP in our forward line? Seems to project be much more agile and better at ground level than Day is.

A Brander could be started down back to play 2nd or 3rd tall back during his early AFL development and swung forward at times. Would be a mouth watering prospect to be able swing Day and Brander around during games. Brander is definitely more a natural forward than what Sam Day is
Brander is 2nd or 1st choice, would be wasted as a third tall, he is agile but not enough to keep enough forward pressure on. Day is more of an athletic beast so he can work as 3rd tall due to him being able to chase and tackle.

LDU could honestly be the best player from this draft but he just needs to show it more consistently

Brander is 2nd or 1st choice, would be wasted as a third tall, he is agile but not enough to keep enough forward pressure on. Day is more of an athletic beast so he can work as 3rd tall due to him being able to chase and tackle.

LDU could honestly be the best player from this draft but he just needs to show it more consistently

Good to see someone who has an interest in the draft with a GC perspective

What are your thoughts on the kids we could get with our early 2nd rd picks? Do you like any of Worpel, Coffield, Higgins, Hunter Clarke, Paddy Gow, Noah Bolta for us?

Good to see someone who has an interest in the draft with a GC perspective

What are your thoughts on the kids we could get with our early 2nd rd picks? Do you like any of Worpel, Coffield, Higgins, Hunter Clarke, Paddy Gow, Noah Bolta for us?
Higgins reminds me of Touk Miller, so i would happily go with him,
Worpel is an intresting one, was looking like a top 10 pick start of the year but hasnt really moved to the next level, dispoasl can be an issue with him as well.
I really like Lachie Pasoce, would take our 3rd tall defender spot, that would be my first choice if im purely looking at list needs

Higgins reminds me of Touk Miller, so i would happily go with him,
Worpel is an intresting one, was looking like a top 10 pick start of the year but hasnt really moved to the next level, dispoasl can be an issue with him as well.
I really like Lachie Pasoce, would take our 3rd tall defender spot, that would be my first choice if im purely looking at list needs

Thanks for that - be exciting to see what we do with the 2nd rd picks come trade and draft period. You would think that with 2nd rd picks we can select with one eye for talent and an eye for need

Remove this Banner Ad

Back