2nds Swans Reserves 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not as bare as you make out. Cameron played a lot last year in the WAFL as a forward and if Naismith was fit you could play Tippett/Sinclair as a forward in the same side as well

Dunno where this "lack of depth" arguement is coming from lately. We're stocked up with some bloody handy cover IMO. It all stems from the fact our first/second year players have been able to step up to seniors the last few years - Paps, Mills, Heenz, Newy, Hewy, O-Flo, Hazy, Foxy... All have been able to hold their own early in their careers. The real depth is guys like BJ, Towers, Cunners, Laids IMO. You pay them more (assumingly) for what seems to be a similar output in some cases.

Sam Fisher, I think he was in the GWS Academy, has had a couple of/several good NEAFL games, ressie watchers, is he a likely keeper?
For my 5 cents. Yes. Good skills, good decision making and will tackle. Has only been in the Swans system for 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I didn't see the game but Florent must have worked really hard up and down the ground with 7 inside 50s and 6 rebounds

He did. It was a breakout game for Florent in that respect. If I was to be a prick, I'd say that given the conditions, the ball movement was a bit slower so he didn't have to run quite as hard as normal to get to his spots, but really, he was tremendous.

Nope. Not at all.
Buddy, Reid, Dawson, Towers, Tippet, Cameron can all play forward.
We need defenders more. AA will get a spot when warranted.
What does warranted mean? He got 21 possessions at CHB in the wet, wasn't named in the best six and Fox playing in the midfield got 18 and was.

What does warranted mean? He got 21 possessions at CHB in the wet, wasn't named in the best six and Fox playing in the midfield got 18 and was.

As you know, I'm on Aliir's bandwagon. He wasn't in the best 6 on Friday night though. He wasn't bad, he was good, but only good.

For me though, warranted means when Melican makes space for him. And Melican is doggedly hanging on to his spot and won't let go. As you said last week, he's like a young Grundy. Aliir is like a young, but far more talented, Leo Barry. I wouldn't be messing with Aliir. I wouldn't be playing him up forward or in the ruck. And if we were playing finals tomorrow, I'd be selecting him ahead of Melican. But it's bloody hard for selectors when Melican keeps doing precisely what he's told especially in circumstances where Aliir might have chosen the arms of some sweet young thing ahead of training a couple of weeks ago.

As you know, I'm on Aliir's bandwagon. He wasn't in the best 6 on Friday night though. He wasn't bad, he was good, but only good.

For me though, warranted means when Melican makes space for him. And Melican is doggedly hanging on to his spot and won't let go. As you said last week, he's like a young Grundy. Aliir is like a young, but far more talented, Leo Barry. I wouldn't be messing with Aliir. I wouldn't be playing him up forward or in the ruck. And if we were playing finals tomorrow, I'd be selecting him ahead of Melican. But it's bloody hard for selectors when Melican keeps doing precisely what he's told especially in circumstances where Aliir might have chosen the arms of some sweet young thing ahead of training a couple of weeks ago.
I agree he is not forward. If the kid was shagging and was late for training put him in the firsts immediately. Good on him. I put the cue in the rack some years ago Bruce

Agreed. Aliir should continue in defence and keep banging the door down to be in the side without needing to switch to the forward line or ruck - although part of me wants to see what he does as a forward at some stage of his career. Melican has done everything asked of him so far and deserves his place right now though.

Long-term it's excellent that in less than 12 months months we've gone from having no young key defenders to be excited about to having two in Melican and Aliir.

Agreed. Aliir should continue in defence and keep banging the door down to be in the side without needing to switch to the forward line or ruck - although part of me wants to see what he does as a forward at some stage of his career. Melican has done everything asked of him so far and deserves his place right now though.

Long-term it's excellent that in less than 12 months months we've gone from having no young key defenders to be excited about to having two in Melican and Aliir.

And Maibaum isn't too shabby either. With a years development he will be a keeper too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did. It was a breakout game for Florent in that respect. If I was to be a prick, I'd say that given the conditions, the ball movement was a bit slower so he didn't have to run quite as hard as normal to get to his spots, but really, he was tremendous.
in fairness its harder to run on wet ground so that evens it out.

I think a decent part of Aliir struggling to get in is we want to give the young Key backs time alongside the expereince of Grundy and Smith before they both go, which shouldn't be more than a year or two scarily.

Sam Fisher will be a star for our footy club. Was so excited when we got him. He's one of those players that gets overlooked because of athletic ability and size. Kicks the ball beautifully, the only criticism I had of him was his low possession numbers but he's put some really good ones up this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back