Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Nationals aren't far off and some of us will be looking at what may be on offer at years end.

At this stage we have a pick that looks as though it may be a top 4 but with no second rounder available.

This thread is not to cut across List Management, but just to discuss potential draftees. Youtube videos welcome.

Cameron Rayner, please.

Knightmare:

1. Cameron Rayner (VIC)
Best position: General forward
Height, weight: 187cm, 88kg
Recruited from: Western Jets
Projected draft range: Top 10
Similar to: Dustin Martin
April Ranking: 8
Rationale: Rayner's 23 disposals and three goals in the AFL Academy MCG curtain-raiser sees Rayner rise in draft calculations. Winning 68 percent of the ball in contested situations through his first two TAC Cup games and being as prolific as he is forward of centre is a winning combination.
Strengths:
- Contested ball
- Scoreboard impact
- Contested marking
- Strong hands overhead
- Marking threat on the lead
- Powerful and damaging kick
- Vision
- Decision making
- Damaging both as a forward and midfielder
- Clearances
- Evasiveness
- Strength
- Powerful fend-off
- Stands up through tackles
- Clean at ground level
- Production
- Big-game performances
Weaknesses:
- Endurance

Rayner or Fogerty. You'd have to assume that we'll end up with pick two,and either of these two seem like a perfect addition to our midfield.

Adam Cerra.
Knightmare May power rankings profile:
Adam Cerra (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfielder
Height, weight: 186cm, 85kg
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Similar to: Jobe Watson
April Ranking: Not ranked
Rationale: In his first three games for Eastern, has featured in the bests. One of this year's most advanced midfielders.
Strengths:
- Contested ball winning
- Stoppage work
- Clearances
- Strong build
- Production
- Strong mark overhead
- Clean ball user
- Decision making
- Vision
- Production
Weaknesses:
- No clear second position; athleticism

Last edited:
I think a lot will depend on what Brisbane do. Will they risk the best available leaving or look to trade down? Daniel Brander is another name that we would have to look at if we were after a key forward.

Adam Cerra.
Knightmare May power rankings profile:
Adam Cerra (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfielder
Height, weight: 186cm, 85kg
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Similar to: Jobe Watson
April Ranking: Not ranked
Rationale: In his first three games for Eastern, has featured in the bests. One of this year's most advanced midfielders.
Strengths:
- Contested ball winning
- Stoppage work
- Clearances
- Strong build
- Production
- Strong mark overhead
- Clean ball user
- Decision making
- Vision
- Production
Weaknesses:
- No clear second position; athleticism

Think he is more a Blake Acres type, will really come into contention, depending on carnival and draft camp results

Plenty to choose from. At this stage not as impressive range of mids as last couple of years. Some good big boys to be considered.
Would love to trade in Hopper and/or Kennedy, as the crop of inside types at this stage are more forward than midfielders. A
couple of semi mature bulls with an elite distributor such as O'Brien might be the shot.

Keeping a close eye on Petrucelle, who I see as a good chance to climb the rankings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still are far too reliant on Cripps for our inside work and nor did we draft anyone last year as a another option. If he gets injured for any period of time we are so ****ed. The sooner we replace Gibbs & Murphy with some hard nuts that run both ways, find the best option in the heat of battle, can spread from the contest, have good disposal and can run all day the better. Would love two of the following:
  1. Luke Davies-Uniacke - an absolute beast who wins clearances, runs like the wind, kicks goals and is AFL ready. Where the * do I sign.
  2. Adam Cerra - was a standout at the Vic Metro trials. Yes please.
  3. Joel Garner - inside/outside lefty with X-Factor. Noice.
I'll pass on Higgins as we acquired enough inside/outside fluff last year and the defensive side to his game is meh.
Don't mind Rayner, but an 11.10 beep test is a big concern. Having said that Oliver & Hayward are living proof that if they're willing to put in the work that can be turned around. U18 Nats will be the best guide, but I'd be suss if he doesn't test at the Draft Combine.

Last edited:
I doubt Brisbane with take a key forward again at pick 1.

Can we afford to ignore a top key forward again?

It'll probably be: Pick 2- Carlton: Jarrod Brander

You could be right there. Brissy will have a look at Ballenden through their academy who is a forward/ruck, so they may want to take a midfielder first up. Reckon they'd be more likely to go for Fogarty there as he's an SA lad and would therefore have a harder time "going home" than a kid with 10 Victorian clubs up his sleeve.

Biggest knock on Brander seems to be conversion rate - is that something we should be concerned about? Recent media speculation indicates that we're very happy with how McKay and Kerr are tracking in the VFL, and as such are leaning more towards a midfielder with our first.

You could be right there. Brissy will have a look at Ballenden through their academy who is a forward/ruck, so they may want to take a midfielder first up. Reckon they'd be more likely to go for Fogarty there as he's an SA lad and would therefore have a harder time "going home" than a kid with 10 Victorian clubs up his sleeve.

Biggest knock on Brander seems to be conversion rate - is that something we should be concerned about? Recent media speculation indicates that we're very happy with how McKay and Kerr are tracking in the VFL, and as such are leaning more towards a midfielder with our first.
GWS were pretty cluey when drafting. They usually drafted Vic kids precisely because there are a lot of potential trading partners if one of your players ends up wanting to go home. If I was Brisbane I'd avoid SA and WA kids unless the talent was just too good to ignore.

There's been media speculation about McKay and Kerr? I thought that most media had forgotten that McKay even exists.

As for Brander, we need a key forward and you rarely find them outside of the top 10. As long as he's not a McCartin style reach I'm happy with him at this early stage.

Last edited:
We still are far too reliant on Cripps for our inside work and nor did we draft anyone last year as a another option. If he gets injured for any period of time we are so ******. The sooner we replace Gibbs & Murphy with some hard nuts that run both ways, find the best option in the heat of battle, can spread from the contest, have good disposal and can run all day the better. Would love two of the following:
  1. Luke Davies-Uniacke - an absolute beast who wins clearances, runs like the wind, kicks goals and is AFL ready. Where the **** do I sign.
  2. Adam Cerra - was a standout at the Vic Metro trials. Yes please.
  3. Joel Garner - inside/outside lefty with X-Factor. Noice.
I'll pass on Higgins as we acquired enough inside/outside fluff last year and the defensive side to his game is meh.
Don't mind Rayner, but an 11.10 beep test is a big concern. Having said that Oliver & Hayward are living proof that if they're willing to put in the work that can be turned around. U18 Nats will be the best guide, but I'd be suss if he doesn't test at the Draft Combine.

I'm keen on Rayner or Davies-Uniacke.

will be interested to see if Rayner can improve his beep & get a reasonable 3km time at the combine.

Rayner was missing from jets training a bit, due to AIS & he trained at bulldogs. In theory you would think he worked harder whilst in those environments, but it could've been the opposite leading up to that testing a few months ago.

Jets also managed his game time in practice matches.

GWS were pretty cluey when drafting. They usually drafted Vic kids precisely because there are a lot of potential trading partners if one of your players ends up wanting to go home. If I was Brisbane I'd avoid SA and WA kids unless the talent was just too good to ignore.

There's been media speculation about McKay and Kerr? I thought that most media had forgotten that McKay even exists.

As for Brander, we need a key forward and you rarely find them outside of the top 10. As long as he's not a McCartin style reach I'm happy with him at this early stage.

Had to have a think about where I saw it. Just a little mention in today's HUN, page 55, our entry on the Superladder.

They haven't yet been linked with a big-name out-of-contract player. They will be because they have room. And not necessarily a forward given they are pleased with Kerr and McKay in the VFL.

No source or anything, so hard to validate it - however as you said, McKay has been pretty much forgotten about and I would have thought Kerr would be a mile off most media pundits radars. For them to be mentioned at all makes me think that something has been said to someone.

We'll probably finish with pick 2 so it's between
1) Midfielders: O'Brien
2) Talls: Sam Hayes or Jarrod Brander ( 2meter and over by draft time)
3) Versatility; Half forwards / Midfielders, Darcy Fogarty or Jaidyn Stephenson.
Any of these lads would be an amazing addition to the team.

We'll probably finish with pick 2 so it's between
1) Midfielders: O'Brien
2) Talls: Sam Hayes or Jarrod Brander ( 2meter and over by draft time)
3) Versatility; Half forwards / Midfielders, Darcy Fogarty or Jaidyn Stephenson.
Any of these lads would be an amazing addition to the team.
Pick 2 lol

Pick 2 lol

We're sitting 16th at the moment, and Hawthorn are below us on percentage only (and not much of it). We've also just lost one of our best one-on-one defensive players for the rest of the year. Oh, and we're playing a heap of kids who will, whether we like it or not, start to get tired as the end of the season approaches.

Still expecting us to snaffle another couple of wins somewhere, but Hawthorn will do the same.

Pick 2 or 3 seems likely.

Back