List Mgmt. AFC Player Contracts - Updates Please

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be interesting to see who doesn't get a new contract especially if we are looking for salary cap funds. I can see Scott Thompson and Andy Otten being released and maybe Menzel.

But its players like Dean Gore, Harrison Wigg, and Tom Doedee that I am not sure about. These guys were brought to the AFC but so far none have been good enough to break into the team or are being ignored or held back by the club. Our more recent draft selections like Milera, Gallucci are now ahead of them. Even Poholke appears to be in front of them. Greenwood was drafted in the same year as Gore and Doedee but he has passed Wigg who was drafted in 2014. Perhaps they will leave because they are not getting a chance but whatever the reason these guys may not be at the club next year.

I guess the next question is who try and bring in.

Give you Wigg and Gore as they have had 3 years in the system with relatively no injuries to slow them down.
But Doedee has not completed a full preseason and suffer injuries, more so this year when he was on the cusp of being selected for Kelly role. until his injury.

Reckon that Thompson, CEY, Gore and Hunter are in the barrel at the moment. Would be surprised if more than one is still at the club next year.
Thompson will surely be retired and I think CEY will be delisted. Not sure about Hunter or Gore.

You'd expect that Greenwood will get an upgrade to the main list. Keath could potentially get an upgrade, but maybe not with Hartigan re-signing. It could depend on whether Lever re-signs or not.

Reckon that Thompson, CEY, Gore and Hunter are in the barrel at the moment. Would be surprised if more than one is still at the club next year.

Believe it will be a 44 list next year. no cat A rookie, Crows are 45 at this time. As I personally believe both Greenwood and Keath will be signed based on form and needs.
And yes Thommo a given but you are forgetting Shaw who is also a given.

Hearing rumours Crows will sign CEY for another year depending on how he goes in recovery, and I have no source just a feel good rumour from clubland over a few beers.

Currently I have us delisting Thompson, CEY, Gore, Wigg and Hunter while upgrading Greenwood permanently. Beech either demoted to the rookie list or possibly delisted. That'd leave us with 4 or 5 selections at the main draft, and 2 selections at the rookie draft (if it still exists)

Eddie, Milera, Hartigan, Brown.

Is it a worry that we are signing up these blokes that we arent really worried about leaving to medium term deals?

Wouldnt you do Lever and McGovern first?
Sign the people you want to keep when they want to sign. Don't leave them hanging.
But keep in mind the $$$ you need for the others.

Eddie, Milera, Hartigan, Brown.

Is it a worry that we are signing up these blokes that we arent really worried about leaving to medium term deals?

Wouldnt you do Lever and McGovern first?

Naturally we are all worried about signing Lever and McGovern. The sooner we have them signed the better. But is it possible we are getting those players that are not elite signed up so we can see what money we have left in the cap. Actually having an extra $100-200K available might be enough to keep both these guys. If we do it the other way round and spend all our funds on Lever and McGov that we might sacrifice the likes of Brown and Hartigan who are also important.

Anyway all the speculation is bullshit because we have no idea of what the club is up against. Are others offering more or significantly more. Do we have the funds not only for these players but for getting in a Rockliff or who ever. So much detail that we don't have.

Naturally we are all worried about signing Lever and McGovern. The sooner we have them signed the better. But is it possible we are getting those players that are not elite signed up so we can see what money we have left in the cap. Actually having an extra $100-200K available might be enough to keep both these guys. If we do it the other way round and spend all our funds on Lever and McGov that we might sacrifice the likes of Brown and Hartigan who are also important.

Anyway all the speculation is bullshit because we have no idea of what the club is up against. Are others offering more or significantly more. Do we have the funds not only for these players but for getting in a Rockliff or who ever. So much detail that we don't have.
Brown and Hartigan are important but if you had to cut one to sign the other two you'd do it all day long.

Believe it will be a 44 list next year. no cat A rookie, Crows are 45 at this time. As I personally believe both Greenwood and Keath will be signed based on form and needs.
And yes Thommo a given but you are forgetting Shaw who is also a given.

Hearing rumours Crows will sign CEY for another year depending on how he goes in recovery, and I have no source just a feel good rumour from clubland over a few beers.

You're absolutely right, had honestly forgotten about Shaw. Would be surprised if CEY was retained but could understand keeping him for depth if we have several other mids on the way out.

Currently I have us delisting Thompson, CEY, Gore, Wigg and Hunter while upgrading Greenwood permanently. Beech either demoted to the rookie list or possibly delisted. That'd leave us with 4 or 5 selections at the main draft, and 2 selections at the rookie draft (if it still exists)

Think Wigg will be retained, as will Keith whom some are suggesting is at risk. Beech will be interesting, think he needs to debut and play a couple of games this year or he will be on the way out.

I must admit that I forgot about Shaw which Ad Victorium pointed out to me. If (hypothetically) we delisted Thommo, CEY and Gore from the Senior List plus Hunter and Shaw from the Rookie (plus our extra list spot we haven't used), I wouldn't expect them to cut much deeper.

Very early days yet, but at this stage I think the following players are all at risk of not being on the list next year:

Thompson
Shaw
CEY
Beech
Gore
Wigg
Dear
Hunter
Keath

Shaw and Thompson are almost certain to not be at the Crows next year, so it's just a case of how many others join them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown and Hartigan are important but if you had to cut one to sign the other two you'd do it all day long.
Understand where you are coming from. Will I or Wont I. But what if you had to cut both Hartigan and Brown to keep Lever. Then what if we had to cut another one or two to keep McGoven. Would we be better off with two good players or one Elite player. The way I read it is we are locking in some of those good players at the best (and fair) price we can while the team is on a high and shows promise.

Understand where you are coming from. Will I or Wont I. But what if you had to cut both Hartigan and Brown to keep Lever. Then what if we had to cut another one or two to keep McGoven. Would we be better off with two good players or one Elite player. The way I read it is we are locking in some of those good players at the best (and fair) price we can while the team is on a high and shows promise.
The elites, they win games.

Though I wouldn't cutting half the team to keep them. I just have visions of an official in an interview, "we'd have liked to have kept Mitch and Jake... but we just didn't have the cap room."

Surely if CEY was retained, it'd only be as a rookie (taking Shaw's spot, who's retired).
CEY would most likely get a 1 year deal and given one more chance to show what he has.

Douglas may end up being the next 'coach' in the 2s

Contracted until end of 2021
Daniel Talia (11yrs)
Josh Jenkins
Taylor Walker

Contracted until end of 2020
Brad Crouch
Eddie Betts
Wayne Milera
Luke Brown
Kyle Hartigan

Contracted until end of 2019
Sam Jacobs (9yrs)
Reilly O'Brein

Contracted until end of 2018

David Mackay (10+ yrs)
Richard Douglas (10+ yrs)
Rory Sloane (10+ yrs)
Rory Laird
Charlie Cameron (5+ years)
Tom Lynch
Matthew Crouch
Brodie Smith (8 years)
Rory Atkins
Harry Dear
Jordan Gallucci
Myles Poholke
Elliot Himmelberg
Matthew Signorello
Ben Davis

Contracted until end 2017

Jake Kelly
Jake Lever
Riley Knight (4+ years)
Andy Otten
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
Tom Doedee
Hugh Greenwood (R)
Dean Gore #(had a contract until the end of 2017 with Geelong before trade)
Mitch McGovern
Scott Thompson
Harrison Wigg
Kyle Cheney
Paul Hunter (R)
Jonathon Beech (R)
Ben Jarman (R)

contract length not confirmed
Paul Seedsman
Curtly Hampton
Troy Menzel
Alex Keath (R)

Very early days yet, but at this stage I think the following players are all at risk of not being on the list next year:

Thompson
Shaw
CEY
Beech
Gore
Wigg
Dear
Hunter
Keath

Shaw and Thompson are almost certain to not be at the Crows next year, so it's just a case of how many others join them.
Dear and Keath are definetly safe. The others need to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back