Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Two relatively unsung players with some upside by the looks of it. A key forward and a pacey mid. Okay with that.

The system isn't geared up to provide great compensation, and even then we have to rely on players wanting to come here. Our women's side is built on an uncompromising team ethic so I imagine these two must tick the boxes on that. Tayla for all her exceptional raw talent doesn't fit our brand.

Very good chance she'll move on from Carlton within a couple of years. She has bigger ambitions.
IMG_0842.JPG

Last edited:
I think Bates is a pretty obvious choice. Clearly good enough (AA, B&F). Young, presents well, and she's a local (raised, not born), which probably has value from a marketing point of view. I guess the other option would be Ashmore (extra carrot to try and keep her here next year when Victorian expansion clubs inevitably come chasing her), but there's a certainly admirable simplicity in giving the pay rise to the player who won the B&F.

Two relatively unsung players with some upside by the looks of it. A key forward and a pacey mid.

The system isn't geared up to provide great compensation, and even then we have to rely on players wanting to come here. Our women's side is build on an uncompromising team ethic so I imagine these two must tick the boxes on that. Tayla for all her exceptional raw talent doesn't fit our brand.

She'll move on from Carlton within a couple of years. She has bigger ambitions.

Ayre played very well up forward in the back half of the season and Exon was very good for us throughout the season. You guys have the better of this trade IMO

Ayre played very well up forward in the back half of the season and Exon was very good for us throughout the season. You guys have the better of this trade IMO

Could very well be a win-win.

In a different setup and with a little more nous, Tayla can still be the league's best forward. There aren't many who can match her athletically; she just needs to come to grips with how the games are being officiated, and what she is and isn't allowed to do. Delivery should be better with Davey moving into the midfield, and Vescio crumbing at Tayla's feet is a pretty scary prospect.

On the Lions side, if we can make room for Exon alongside McCarthy and Ashmore, we should have speed to burn, so long as Zielke/Bates/SFT and our draftees can get enough inside ball to keep them running.

I actually thought that Tayla's game may have been a better fit at Melbourne. Especially towards the end of the year. They played one of the fastest brands of footy. And might have got the ball in a bit quicker to her.

They should be stoked with Jakobssen though.

Sad to see Bella go, in particular.

Tracked her progress closely as the season progressed, and the player I saw in the final rounds was not the same as the one I saw in the opening game against Collingwood.

Keen to see her to really well. I reckon she'll be a beauty.

BATES AND HUNT RE-SIGN.
No mention of Marquee.

The Brisbane Lions have secured the services of inaugural Women’s Best and Fairest winner Emily Bates for the 2018 AFLW Season.

The 21-year-old midfielder, a product of Yeronga South Brisbane WFC, was selected with pick #2 in the AFL Women’s Draft in 2016.

The Lions finished the home and away season undefeated before succumbing by six-points to Adelaide in a Grand Final nail bitter at Metricon Stadium in March.

Bates said the whole group were motivated to go one better in 2018.

“I’m really excited to re-sign with the Club,” said Bates.

“In just a year we have built something special at this Club and I can’t wait to see what we can achieve together in the 2018 season.

“Coming so close to the ultimate success this year will be a huge motivator to go one better next year.”

Bates’ 2017 season also included selection in the inaugural AFL Women’s All Australian team.

In more good news for the Lions, Megan Hunt signed with the Club yesterday.

Hunt, a hardnosed midfielder, was an integral cog in the Lions’ team – playing all eight matches.

“Megan brings plenty of enthusiasm to the group,” said Brisbane Lions Women’s CEO Breeanna Brock.

“She is super competitive, we can’t wait to see what 2018 brings for her.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exon is a handy outside mid, but she doesn't mind crashing in and getting amongst it either.

Ayre is still at school in Bendigo this year, so obviously at her age there will be great scope for improvement on an already handy forward.

Good trade!

My initial reaction to Tayla's defection was a combination of rant and tantrum, but now it's finalized, I find that I'm more 'meh' than angry. See ya later Tay! I'm 100% behind my other faves - the re-signed Batesy and Katie Mac!
And Seb and Kashy and Virgo etc etc etc

Status check, then, updated after a busy day:

Announced as re-signed: Anderson, Ashmore, Ayre (new), Bates, Campbell, Exon (new), Frederick-Traub, Gibson, Hildebrand, Hunt, Kaslar, Koenen, Lutkins, McCarthy, Randall, Stanton, Virgo, Webb, Wuetschner, Zielke (20, of a possible 22)

Not announced: Collins, Deegan, Goodman, Kimmince, Law, Membrey, Ransfield, Wallace

Status check, then, updated after a busy day:

Announced as re-signed: Anderson, Ashmore, Ayre (new), Bates, Campbell, Exon (new), Frederick-Traub, Gibson, Hildebrand, Hunt, Kaslar, Koenen, Lutkins, McCarthy, Randall, Stanton, Virgo, Webb, Wuetschner, Zielke (20, of a possible 22)

Not announced: Collins, Deegan, Goodman, Kimmince, Law, Membrey, Ransfield, Wallace
I noticed Deegan was named in the QLD Under-23 squad... could mean she won't be re-signed

I don't see how losing Harris is a big deal. I felt she was our most over-rated player. Definitely a good player, but really only had a handful of good quarters of footy in the AFLW. Just happy we got some players in return.

She did save our ass a couple of times though. With taking some absolute pearler marks, late in games when we were being pressed. We will miss that. She didn't kick to many goals. But she can certainly take a mark.

The Freo game in the last quarter was all her, sadly that was about it for the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back