Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know that a lot of people love to pot the Boss, and he has idiosyncrasies that probably rub people the wrong way, but you can't watch that On the Couch interview and not be grateful that we have someone like him at the helm. He's a really clear communicator, he is likely good at simplifying things and setting clear targets, and has an aura that demands respect and belief. He has his shortcomings as a coach, but I cannot imagine that there are many qualified for a head coaching job that would be capable of filling his shoes - at least right now - that would be a significant upgrade. We're lucky to have him.

Grandstan

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

Crippa

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you think they really have the same signals, as Dal says. Holding the ball over the head etc. If so, might explain Saints doing well against us under Lyon.

Don't think he made that up. Didn't help the Saints the first two times we played them under Ross so I doubt it's been a factor in their wins.

Grandstan

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
So, just came across a shorter clip of the post match presser, and RTB says all this weird s**t that I missed cos it was cut from the club Q&A transcript.
Apart from the litmus thing, which was also odd, when he was asked about Crozier he says:
"Yeah, look I haven't driven into individual stats, I think there were some good performances, I remember some specific moments like if you look at, you know in the game, the St Kilda game, I think it was Newnes and Mills, there was those sort of things, and I think there was Aish and whoever it was, and I thought Brady Grey was in a big 50/50 ball and I thought Walters' chase down..."
The St Kilda game? WTF is he talking about?

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
So, just came across a shorter clip of the post match presser, and RTB says all this weird s**t that I missed cos it was cut from the club Q&A transcript.
Apart from the litmus thing, which was also odd, when he was asked about Crozier he says:
"Yeah, look I haven't driven into individual stats, I think there were some good performances, I remember some specific moments like if you look at, you know in the game, the St Kilda game, I think it was Newnes and Mills, there was those sort of things, and I think there was Aish and whoever it was, and I thought Brady Grey was in a big 50/50 ball and I thought Walters' chase down..."

Thought it was strange when I heard it.

WeaselWJ

All Australian
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

He was referencing the two large clashes when Newnes and Mills (in StK vs Sydney), and Aish and a Hawthorn player (in Collingwood vs Hawthorn), both went hard for a 50/50 ball at risk to personal safety. Newnes ended up concussed, and Aish got a broken jaw. But they were inspiring acts and the commentators lauded the courage of both players in both incidents. Both happened last weekend in the same round as the Freo/Carlton game, so those incidents were obviously in Ross's mind as examples of hardness and 1%ers that make the difference.

Grandstan

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was referencing the two large clashes when Newnes and Mills (in StK vs Sydney), and Aish and a Hawthorn player (in Collingwood vs Hawthorn), both went hard for a 50/50 ball at risk to personal safety. Newnes ended up concussed, and Aish got a broken jaw. But they were inspiring acts and the commentators lauded the courage of both players in both incidents. Both happened last weekend in the same round as the Freo/Carlton game, so those incidents were obviously in Ross's mind as examples of hardness and 1%ers that make the difference.

Those comments in a response to a question about Crozier's 3 goals reminds me of Mayne saying he'd rather have 10 tackles than 10 goals. Very Ross.
I like his desire to highlight process over "superficial" results (like goals!) but he does frequently tie himself up in knots to avoid agreeing with any praise of his players from the media.

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
Those comments in a response to a question about Crozier's 3 goals reminds me of Mayne saying he'd rather have 10 tackles than 10 goals. Very Ross.
I like his desire to highlight process over "superficial" results (like goals!) but he does frequently tie himself up in knots to avoid agreeing with any praise of his players from the media.
It was clear he had the shits with the media after last week's game. The previous midweek presser the guys were pretty disrespectful to RTB re Bennell. He just had the shits. If you've watched this week's midweek presser he is back to being expansive in his answers again. He even pulls the piss out of himself by saying "and they say I'm not media friendly".
Agree that the Blues post game presser was a s**t showing tho.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
My recollection is he prefaced it all by saying he hadn't 'drilled into' individual stats or performance and had only a broad brush impression of the game's momentum shifts and they proceeded to ask a procession of Q's about individual performances.
Part of the issue is preprepared Q's which they stick to regardless of what is said.

Journo 1 'So Harley Balic's on indefinite leave for drug issue?'
Lyon 'That is not, and never has been close to the truth.The club has issued....'
Journo 2 'Did Balic's parents know about the drug problem??'
Lyon 'Look I feel as though I've answered..'
Journo 1 'Was the club concerned that two Harleys with known drug issues shared a house and....?'
Lyon 'I'm aware it's your job to speculate but the club has defined the issue with sufficient clarity...drugs have never been part of this scenario or explanation...'
Journo 2 'When did Harley's parents become aware of the drug problems associated with the house sharing hell the club forced him to endure?'

Doghorn's Monday Headline :

BALIC'S SNOW-DOME DRUG HOUSE HELL;DOCKERS NEGLIGENCE!!
INDEFINITE VICTORIAN REHAB;BENNELL UNAPOLOGETIC!!

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was clear he had the shits with the media after last week's game. The previous midweek presser the guys were pretty disrespectful to RTB re Bennell. He just had the shits. If you've watched this week's midweek presser he is back to being expansive in his answers again. He even pulls the piss out of himself by saying "and they say I'm not media friendly".
Agree that the Blues post game presser was a s**t showing tho.
Ross hates the media, I'm sure that's obvious to all. Straight from the mans mouth himself. Can't say I blame him. Some of the questions and lack of respect they give the coaches, trying to get a rise out of them.

Back