News Cats possibly off to Shanghai.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not about trying to get a team in China it's about spreading interest in the game. Generating international interest could bring a lot of sponsorship and possibility to sell TV rights.
I'd say it's a long shot that Geelong is involved in the game. But if they do end up playing we can be sure Cook will get Geelong a good deal.

Also 'Port would consider Geelong as it's opponent'

Go and get f***ed Koch/Port... unless you give up a home game yourself IMO you get no say who plays
They can't. They're well and truly locked into their AO/SANFL deal.
Otherwise they would.

They can't. They're well and truly locked into their AO/SANFL deal.
Otherwise they would.
I know that... but they also would have no intention of doing it if they could

I know that... but they also would have no intention of doing it if they could
I reckon they would for sure. Even though the AO is full most weeks both SA teams don't make much from the stadium deal.
If they could sell a home to China they'd make far more money and would have more choice of an opponent.
Personally I don't think Shanghai is a great idea but I think Hong Kong wouldn't be a bad idea to grow the game.

I reckon they would for sure. Even though the AO is full most weeks both SA teams don't make much from the stadium deal.
If they could sell a home to China they'd make far more money and would have more choice of an opponent.
Personally I don't think Shanghai is a great idea but I think Hong Kong wouldn't be a bad idea to grow the game.
They aren't trying to grow the game.
It's not what it's about.
Well, except for sucking dollars out of China and into our system.

I suppose I just assumed they had a good deal at AO.
Would the Port fans cop losing an AO game though?

I do agree with Tony Barber in that Koch has manipulated a great deal for them... they get a big financial kick from an away game!

Also 'Port would consider Geelong as it's opponent'

Go and get f***ed Koch/Port... unless you give up a home game yourself IMO you get no say who plays
This. Port can rot in their own bathwater.

I suppose I just assumed they had a good deal at AO.
Would the Port fans cop losing an AO game though?

I do agree with Tony Barber in that Koch has manipulated a great deal for them... they get a big financial kick from an away game!
Dunno about the Port fans. They do seem to love throwing fruit at the AO.
Yeah not bad from Kochey. He ain't bad with money that's for sure.

This. Port can rot in their own bathwater.
It's an excuse for a China trip.
"Hey honey, let's head to China". 'Sure, sounds cool'.

8 months later. "Hun, look! The cats are playing. Wish I'd known"
'Maybe we can get tickets hun'

*sfellow

I've actually done the exact same thing for later this year. I've booked interstate tickets to an event and the family don't even know.
On the night we will walk past the stadium and I'll say "oh wow, look who's playing"

Ha ha ha

They aren't trying to grow the game.
It's not what it's about.
Well, except for sucking dollars out of China and into our system.
Yeah I agree. I get the idea though. If they could just get 1 Chinese sponsor too they could potentially make a fair bit of money.
If the AFL we're trying to grow the game os I could see Honk Kong working. I know the HK racing club has an AFL team and they've got people from a lot of different nationalities interested a bit.
+ there's a lot of $ floating around there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People also have to think about how well off we'd be from this.
9 KP games, 1 Easter Monday home game at the G every 2nd year, Hosting the pies there every other year and 1million dollars from a China game + the potential to attract a Chinese sponsor.
We'd be doing quite well financially.
Cook ain't the best CEO in the game for nothing. He'd be very strongly considering it.

To paraphrase Spazz cat - I'm sure the only reason we would do this is if the guaranteed $$$$$$'s would be more than the moved 'home' game (plus expenses...flights, accommodation etc.)...plus the possibility of a chinese sponsor (unlikely though it would be).
Yeah preety much. I think we might've lost $ at a G game against Richmond a couple of years ago. So there's a preety good chance we'd make more from China.

To paraphrase Spazz cat - I'm sure the only reason we would do this is if the guaranteed $$$$$$'s would be more than the moved 'home' game (plus expenses...flights, accommodation etc.)...plus the possibility of a chinese sponsor (unlikely though it would be).

Great Ocean Road, Apollo Bay, The 12 Apostles :thumbsu:

Now there is an opportunity.

Has anyone been to Apollo Bay or the 12 blokes recently ?

Hoping this doesn't happen because it's a s**t deal for the members - if Port want to play games in China then surely it should beer up to them to renegotiate their current AO contract rather than forcing opposition clubs to sell a home game and screw over their members.

One thing that would frustrate me about the deal if it went ahead is that as a home and away member (all Vic games), if the compensation for home members was GA entry to a Melbourne away match there is no benefit - I know that's the deal that teams like the Hawks have set up with members to compensate for the Tassie home games.

Instead, I propose that teams should include a cause in any contract that's around selling home games to benefit the opposition - that the opposition also has to cover the cost of travel expenses for the members who will now miss out on an expected home game to ensure that the team and members are not disadvantaged.

You must admit, it's genius by Koch.

You reckon? I think its a bit of a waste of time until they build a bigger local interest which they are doing via constant broadcasts and as someone else posted teach them how to gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wonder what the point of doing it is? Why are we do we feel the need to try and grow the game in other countries? It's our indigenous game and let's just be happy to leave it that way.
Think this is purely about building sponsorships rather than the game.

Anyway it's a bad idea for the club but the house of my partner's great-great-great grandfather is supposedly preserved as a museum in Shanghai so wouldn't mind an excuse to go have a squiz.

There's no way Port can sell one of their home games. They are contractually bound to play 11 home games at AO and that won't change for a very long time.

The only reason why Geelong would even consider playing in China is for a big payday. Etihad deals suck, even with AFL ownership, compared to what Geelong could make in China.

Do I want to see us play in China? No! Would I object if it was highly beneficial to the club's bottom line? It'd have to be a very, very juicy offer - but money buys anything in the right quantities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back