Throwing not being picked up by umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
In the first quarter of the game last night there were 5 or 6 instances where the ball was clearly thrown or simply handed to a teammate. To be fair, there was not much of it in the next 3 quarters but it seems to be a developing trend and the line between handball and throw is becoming increasingly blurred, particularly in tight. There are a couple of teams going around at the moment that really push the boundaries.

The AFL is committed to fast, free flowing footy. Is this something they are just letting go in the interest of attaining that? Because I cannot believe that the umpires are not seeing what is going on. Should the AFL simply rule that throwing is legitimate and be done with it?

AFL may want fast and flowing footy but that can still happen with legitimate handballs. If the umpires start calling them the players will fall into line. It needs to happen because it's not the game I know.

My theory on this is not that there is any more or less throwing that in the past, it's just now we have 65 inch 1080p HD TV's and camera's from every angle and endless replays. The simple fact is we - as viewers - just see the throws more often.

My theory on this is not that there is any more or less throwing that in the past, it's just now we have 65 inch 1080p HD TV's and camera's from every angle and endless replays. The simple fact is we - as viewers - just see the throws more often.
* no. Ch 7 is SD with 80% ads. The game is so different from 20 years ago

Happening in all games atm, throwing is a new art. Might as well just start calling this game Rugby X.

People need to realise the umps don't have the luxury of 8 different camera angles in slo mo. They are at ground level in a fast and tough game with multiple players blocking their view. They simply don't see most throws, we don't want them guessing do we? On Friday night at the ground I saw SJ throw it near the boundary from my seat but the ump was on the other side and didn't see it. The only thing that can really be done is to shame the regular offenders.

People need to realise the umps don't have the luxury of 8 different camera angles in slo mo. They are at ground level in a fast and tough game with multiple players blocking their view. They simply don't see most throws, we don't want them guessing do we? On Friday night at the ground I saw SJ throw it near the boundary from my seat but the ump was on the other side and didn't see it. The only thing that can really be done is to shame the regular offenders.

This is basically it. When blindsided they just can't see. Simple as that.

Handballing has evolved, you used to (a long time ago) have to have the holding hand stationary. Easier to call iffy handpasses then.

Stop making excuses. They occasionally award free kicks from 50m away. They see them but ignore them as long as the ball keeps moving.

We get 1 free kick in an entire quarter of football and are way behind in the count despite leading the tackles.

They just dont reward it anymore.

Yep, much greater issue than the 30 seconds time to kick but this thread won't be making 31 pages in a couple of days. Has to be addressed -throwing changes the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The irony of the 2 throws called last night, one was 50/50 that rarely is paid, the other one was a creative handball - nothing says you must punch the ball with the outside of the fist, nor does it say it must travel forwards

They might as well make throwing (with 2 hands) legal. That's essentially what a lot of handballs are now anyway. It just so happens that one of the hands used to throw is a clenched fist.

Yep, much greater issue than the 30 seconds time to kick but this thread won't be making 31 pages in a couple of days. Has to be addressed -throwing changes the game.
Yep too right
But a couple of flags won with large bodies who dropped the ball whenever tackled adds to your call
Retrospective

They might as well make throwing (with 2 hands) legal. That's essentially what a lot of handballs are now anyway. It just so happens that one of the hands used to throw is a clenched fist.
Have we recently seen a player handball with the non preferred hand? Ball just gets thrown across a near stationary fist

The irony of the 2 throws called last night, one was 50/50 that rarely is paid, the other one was a creative handball - nothing says you must punch the ball with the outside of the fist, nor does it say it must travel forwards

If you're talking about Puopolo, it was the most obvious throw since the days of the flick pass

Stop making excuses. They occasionally award free kicks from 50m away. They see them but ignore them as long as the ball keeps moving.

We get 1 free kick in an entire quarter of football and are way behind in the count despite leading the tackles.

They just dont reward it anymore.
I have umpired sport in a number of different levels and types
The similarity of top grade officiating is this
Does it advantage / dis advantage
If it does you pay it
Otherwise let the umpires get directions off field ( think fisher gets this) to eliminate mistakes
IMO 15 to 20 games each year are directly resulted due to umpiring
This year it's more
Maybe all those hawthorn blokes running the show have de railed the competition in their quest for glory
Money is being gambled and therefore it canbe corrupted
Has before

If you're talking about Puopolo, it was the most obvious throw since the days of the flick pass
Watch the replay.
Ball is clearly stationary in one hand, and punched out with the other.
Even Ling (who had spent the entire night trying to restart #freekickhawthorn) questioned whether it actually was a throw

Watch the replay.
Ball is clearly stationary in one hand, and punched out with the other.
Even Ling (who had spent the entire night trying to restart #freekickhawthorn) questioned whether it actually was a throw

Only seen one replay but it didn't look like a clenched fist, looked like a palm. But would have to see it again to go over it

I saw about 50 obvious throws last night. Only 2 were called.

It's the same every week unfortunately. People used to think it was only the Bulldogs that did it, so we cop more throwing the ball calls than the average I reckon (even if it turns out it was a legal handball). That started when salty coaches go to the media about it, but EVERY team does it.
I don't think anybody wants to see the game littered with free kicks if they called them all, but at the end of the day the umpires can be blindsided & not see them. With so much congestion around the contests it's just as hard, but any clear & obvious ones need to be called. Handballing is a skill, the most skilful players in the country should be able to do it legally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back