Who is the most overrated person in football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We laud our players, coaches, administrators and support staff. But who in their career has tugged on the coat tails of others? Who has forged a career out of a moment, or a season?

I vote Scott Clayton. Had one draft at the Dogs where (admittedly) he picked up 4 good players however it could be argued he was awful outside of that, with a raft of high end picks turning out to be rubbish.

He then got offered the golden goose at Gold Coast, given enormous amounts of picks and concessions - and has produced absolute crap from it.

I vote for Scott.

paging chef

Scotty Clayton is a good shout. Too many flashy types not enough grunt when they started. Their players recruited from other clubs were too old as they were cooked mostly by the time GC were ready to rise. GWS have done both far better.

Always thought David Buttifant was overrated. The media made out like he was some sort of genius when the Pies won the flag in 2010. Fitness was definitely a part of why they won but the media seemed to overlook that the likes of Pendlebury, Swan, Sidebottom, Beams etc had all come on as footballers and were the reason they improved on the failures of past seasons.

He came to Carlton with Malthouse and didn't do much for us at all.

I just want to get in before someone says Paul Roos. He did so much to get Melbourne into the position it is now. People forget how bad we were around 2012-13 era before he came along. He practically saved our club and did more for our club in his 3 years than say Damian Hardwick has done for his in 7 or Nathan Buckley has done in his time for Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always wondered with Ross Lyon how much say he has had on the recruitment at St Kilda and Fremantle.
You'd hope in this day and age he isn't the one with necessarily the most say. At Freo we have Lloyd and Bond seemingly outranking him for recruiting, and you'd think similar at the Saints

I watched Steve Kernahan during the 80s and thought he has been rated highly in retirement when CHF's are considered. He was a great player.
I might be missing something because there are players I think are underrated.

I think Chris Judd was sublime, at his best. He was good enough to carry a midfield.

I think because of the great heights he reached his career legacy is a tad overrated.

He didn't kick near 500 goals, win multiple premierships, astound us with his brilliance years after years, be player MVP year after year deservedly, but that is the kind of REP he has.

His best years were in one of the BEST midfields ever of Cousins Kerr, Cox, and I forget the 4th and 5th but they were guns.

At Carlton it was his toughness that impressed me, his inside play, and whenever he did anything on the outside the commentators yelled Judd!!!! too cheaply...

Sadly, many players careers are pumped up because of commentators who want to commentate genius.

Ross Lyon. Has been bastardising Australian rules football, losing finals and putting spectators to sleep for 11 years and the media talk him up like a multiple premiership coach.

Greg Miller lived off the Carey pick up for over a decade.

Ross Lyon is currently into his 11th season and still no flag.

I think true judgement of Lyon should rest until we've seen him rebuild and take a list up.

It's not his fault he hasn't had the chance yet. St Kilda wasn't his list but he was given the full go ahead for a flag so he did the best he could, before Fremantle offered him an offer he couldn't refuse with the window open.

Now, he's got the chance to do what the truly genuine gun coaches did (Thompson/Clarkson/Matthews) have done and take a list of his own up. He should be involved at some level in the drafting etc. He also should have been at St Kilda but obviously his priority was not developing draftees.

And lastly I'd probably agree he is somewhat overrated by flogs like Barrett who somehow think he won 4 games on purpose last year, but when the majority of the footy public shouts out about Lyon can't build a list (when he's never had the chance to) I'd say he's not overrated on that note

Remove this Banner Ad

Back