Opinion The Shield and Ribbon: Updating the Sacred

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
Going through some recent St Kilda paraphernalia I noticed irregularities and oversights of the current design and implementation of the St Kilda shield. It unfortunately creates a sense of amateurishness when looking up and seeing information about the club.

A few examples include the poorly rendered shield and ribbons on the official website and Instagram:
1.png

2.png

Notice the illegibility of the fortius que fidelius, the fragile shield outlines and the use of multiple red colours.
3.png

Even the social media department of the club seem to have a dislike in using the shield for the score updates on Instagram, resorting to the tricolour instead:
4.png

The (almost one pixel) thin lines also create a problem with embroidery, giving off a cheap look:
5.png

It also seems logical that the club refresh the crest given the move back to Moorabin.

Now that my (admittedly anal) distaste for the current crest is known, I decided to have a crack and try and fix its drawbacks. I looked at logos from a few soccer leagues, including the Paris Saint Germain logo update:
6.gif

A couple notable design principles stood out, keep it simple and thickening the lines.

So without further to blabber on about, I give you the my proposal for an updated crest.
STK Simple.png

STK GIF.gif

Also of note with my logo is that the ribbon now 'fits' the shield, as it goes along with the curvature of the shield.
Stk logo BLK.png

Here's an update of the STK you see on the recent hats sold by the club.
STK Cap.png

Feel free to criticise, comment and share.

Last edited:

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
I'm sure I've seen you post about this before?
Yeah. It was just a post, not a thread. Sorry if i'm being repetitive, the nitpicky side of me screams every time I see the logo.
I'm also looking for avenues to get this to the club, so feel free to pass it on if possible guys.

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I like that new design. I've been against clubs changing their logos in the past, notably Richmond, Bulldogs and North in particular but I do feel like we need a fresh look. I feel like if the club were to do such a thing it would be a more dramatic change than you've proposed, but I would like to see some sort of update to the current shield

theprospect

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
My personal feel is while I can see your point re: bolder lines, they make the shield feel a little too black.

I do believe there have been quite a few attempts at modernising the shield over on the FJGD board, some of which I thought were quite good.
What's the FJGD board?

theprospect

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
I feel like if the club were to do such a thing it would be a more dramatic change than you've proposed, but I would like to see some sort of update to the current shield

I feel the opposite. I think the club is very conservative toward the shield, so much so that it has been disregarded and ignored as the norm for the past 100 years (probably).

My personal feel is while I can see your point re: bolder lines, they make the shield feel a little too black.

I do believe there have been quite a few attempts at modernising the shield over on the FJGD board, some of which I thought were quite good.

'Tis one of our colours you see. I get your point though. I can't really avoid that unfortunately if you thicken everything up.

I recall seeing one done by Costa? I think, but I felt it was a little too grandiose for our humble bayside club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I love this SFgiant well done!

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
Someone please propose this to the club.
Great job SFgiant
Thus lies the hurdle. I tried the reception Saints email and they gave the electronic equivalent of ruffling my hair and telling me "thanks, but nah"
Is there anybody here that has (or knows somebody that has) inside doings with the club? Even a quick tweet off to one of our board members might get the ball rolling.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
I feel the opposite. I think the club is very conservative toward the shield, so much so that it has been disregarded and ignored as the norm for the past 100 years (probably).
I think its this exact reason why we shouldn't be changing the shield. No other club can boast their logo as being truly part of their heritage. There is so little chance for true tradition these days I think we should do everything we can to maintain the greatest and most iconic logo/crest in the the entire competition.

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
I think its this exact reason why we shouldn't be changing the shield. No other club can boast their logo as being truly part of their heritage. There is so little chance for true tradition these days I think we should do everything we can to maintain the greatest and most iconic logo/crest in the the entire competition.
I wholeheartedly agree. Like many soccer clubs who share that value, they update old club crests in order to take the best of both mindsets. The recent updates from Paris SG, Manchester City and Queen's Park Rangers were so successful, I doubt most fans noticed the changes. Much like my aim here with the Saints shield. Honestly, would your diehard Saints fan even notice if we went to my shield without publicity?

Btw, I classify this as an update, not a change.

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here are a few more examples of clubs updating their already popular looks for those who are still a bit hesitant to come around to the idea of a Saint's logo update:
View attachment 377105
View attachment 377106
View attachment 377107

I get where you're coming from but the only one of those updates I actually like is the Blue Jays one. I preferred City and Villa's old logos, although some elements on the new Villa logo are cleaner, I'll give it that.

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
I get where you're coming from but the only one of those updates I actually like is the Blue Jays one. I preferred City and Villa's old logos, although some elements on the new Villa logo are cleaner, I'll give it that.

Agree to disagree on MC and AV.
Would have you prefered if they kept the club motto for AVFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back