Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

I replied to a post that said that this years rising star was a 2 horse race between McGrath and Burton. My point was that I dont think Burton's performances are at the level of McGrath (who is Gallucci/Hayward's draft marty36). Burton is playing well and I would be very happy if he was a Crow, but I can't see how he is anywhere close to winning the rising star based on the first 10 rounds.
But he has had some great games and has been very consistent. He's currently second on the betting at $4. He didn't just get there by accident, it's based on what he's achieved to date. Have you actually watched him much?

But he has had some great games and has been very consistent. He's currently second on the betting at $4. He didn't just get there by accident, it's based on what he's achieved to date. Have you actually watched him much?

Well that was actually my initial point. I am not seeing what everybody else is seeing. I see a good player that is doing the basics very well. He is doing a role well. But I haven't seen anything too exciting. Not the X-factor that he was supposed to bring, that everyone is obviously seeing. I am not saying everyone is wrong, I am just saying I am not seeing it. Would still love him at the crows mind you.

I have seen more to excite me from Hayward and Taranto than I have seen from Burton.

Well that was actually my initial point. I am not seeing what everybody else is seeing. I see a good player that is doing the basics very well. He is doing a role well. But I haven't seen anything too exciting. Not the X-factor that he was supposed to bring, that everyone is obviously seeing. I am not saying everyone is wrong, I am just saying I am not seeing it. Would still love him at the crows mind you.

I have seen more to excite me from Hayward and Taranto than I have seen from Burton.
If Burton's knee/leg gives him no more complications throughout his career I'd be very confident you'll be proven very wrong. You're forgetting from how far back he's coming from when compared to the likes of McGrath and Taranto.

If Burton's knee/leg gives him no more complications throughout his career I'd be very confident you'll be proven very wrong. You're forgetting from how far back he's coming from when compared to the likes of McGrath and Taranto.

How can I possibly be proven wrong by what he does in the future. I have only commented on what he has done up until now. He is tracking very well and I think he is going to be one of the best players to come out of his draft year.

Every thread I come in to there's ******* discussion about Burton. Dude retired in 2010, move on and focus on Jnr.

That interview is hilarious. Campo looks like he's been on a bender. Great quote about not wanting to mess with his offensive game too much, just helping him learn running patterns, defensive mindset and building an AFL body. Should hopefully see some really special stuff from Jnr over the coming years.

Has Milera ever played as an inside mid? Watching the Freo game and he's a decent size for a second year player and looks to have the physique to put on some bulk.

He's a good height and he could have the body to compete in there and become a good clearance player.

Throw in his evasiness, speed and disposal, if he could add contested ball and clearances he could be a gun inside mid.

If Seedsman becomes injury free, wings of Rat and Seeds would free him up.

Lever was only 12 games into his career when the opportunity to pick Burton came along.
So what's your point? that Lever still had a question mark on him?

It was plain to see that Lever was quality and over his knee after that first year with us. To play 12 AFL games in his first season against men was a great effort and way beyond expectation, especially coming off 12 months out. He helped us into the finals in his first year, not a bad effort. No question mark on him.
Lever should've been the example we followed in drafting Burton. But no, we go for a roughy from interstate that was not rated to go in the top 50, who hasn't looked close to getting a game yet, while Burton is clocking up games for fun and is a rising star favourite. go figure. Crows stuffed up this one big time. It's a shame as being a Rooster fan I'd taken an interest in Burtons rise up through the ranks at North, would've loved to see him going around as a Crow.

From the interview it seems Mitch Grigg is still good mates with a few of the guys - was around Eddie's the other night

Mitch thinks he is one of the mob ;) The guys are still really close with so many of our ex players. There really is a family feel that even if they have left/been moved on, they are still considered part of the family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Milera ever played as an inside mid? Watching the Freo game and he's a decent size for a second year player and looks to have the physique to put on some bulk.

He's a good height and he could have the body to compete in there and become a good clearance player.

Throw in his evasiness, speed and disposal, if he could add contested ball and clearances he could be a gun inside mid.

If Seedsman becomes injury free, wings of Rat and Seeds would free him up.

Geez, we've come a long way since this thread was started.

It was plain to see that Lever was quality and over his knee after that first year with us. To play 12 AFL games in his first season against men was a great effort and way beyond expectation, especially coming off 12 months out. He helped us into the finals in his first year, not a bad effort. No question mark on him.
Lever should've been the example we followed in drafting Burton. But no, we go for a roughy from interstate that was not rated to go in the top 50, who hasn't looked close to getting a game yet, while Burton is clocking up games for fun and is a rising star favourite. go figure. Crows stuffed up this one big time. It's a shame as being a Rooster fan I'd taken an interest in Burtons rise up through the ranks at North, would've loved to see him going around as a Crow.

You don't think there's a slight difference between a stock standard ACL and what Burton's injury was reported as being. Doedee is looking bloody good off his limited preps and I'm sure him and Burton would be compared heavily while paying SANFL together.

Lever is obviously quality, but there is certainly risk involved in picking up players who have done ACL's at a young age.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150328102428.htm
http://www.aaos.org/AAOSNow/2013/Aug/clinical/clinical1/?ssopc=1

the first study found that 1 in 3 young athletes experience re-injury and the second study found that athletes are 15 times more likely to do their ACL again in the first 12 months after recovery than those that have never done it.

still a decent chance Lever and Burton could both suffer Otten-like misfortune, and when we're coming out of a period of not having first or second round draft picks, if Burton's physical didn't go so well its probably fair to not take the risk. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but there's still plenty of water to go under the bridge in Burton's career so lets just wait and see shall we (and Doedee's for that matter).

Now we have to frame our criticism the right way..........interesting.

And yes good for me, stand by what I said at the time. The RS nomination doesn't change that.
No you've just got to use some common sense and realise that young players are in development mode and need to be judged accordingly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back