Robbo and his insensitive tweet, or "Poor choice of words"

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Fasolo or Collingwood over the last couple days say he would be back in a couple weeks? Because I remember hearing that during the Perth Channel 7 news segment and my Mum said 'I didn't know depression could be cured in two weeks.'

I had the same reaction

Ignorance obviously runs in your family then. What does curing depression have anything to do with Fasolo continuing to train/play?

I don't get why they need to publicise it to the world. Why not just say X player is having back issues or something and leave it at that.
it's called raising awareness, to lessen the stigma of what has been historically a massively under-recognised condition

Exercise is good for someone battling depression.
That's the point.

Just because someone says they are suffering doesn't mean they have to not be seen in public... What does having depression have to do with not being allowed in public, or train, or kick a footy, or anything?

What's Robbo even trying to get at?

Did Fasolo or Collingwood over the last couple days say he would be back in a couple weeks? Because I remember hearing that during the Perth Channel 7 news segment and my Mum said 'I didn't know depression could be cured in two weeks.'

I had the same reaction
can't you or you mum or Robbo appreciate that sometimes the best thing for depression is to be keeping things as normal as possible?

Therefore, whilst he may be in no condition to play, what the heck is wrong with him doing what he normally does, which given it is physical exercise and can only be good for him, surrounded by those that care about him?

A number of former AFL players - including Scott Cummings - have slammed Mark Robinson over his "insensitive" tweet about Alex Fasolo.

The Herald Sun's chief footy writer captioned an image of Fasolo at Collingwood training: “Good drugs - Clinical depression on Tuesday, training Thursday.”

Robinson has since apologised for the tweet which he said was a "wrong choice of words"

"Insenstive tweet about Alex Fasolo. Apologies to Alex and the fans. Wrong choice of words."

Cummings, along with Bradd Dalziell‏, Jacob Brennan‏, Ben Ross and James Magner have voiced their concern over Robinson's Tweet.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/former-afl-players-slam-mark-robinson

Don't know Fasolo, nor am i doctor.
I would think for any innuendo to be spread about him faking, you'd require at least one of those two...preferably both

Great to see him at training though.
May have had a short rough spot and the pressure of gearing up for a game of football was unnecessary at the moment.

Given i take a day or two off for man flu, he's well entitled to a game off.

I had the same reaction
You can cure mental illness? Well s**t sign me up!

I don't get why they need to publicise it to the world. Why not just say X player is having back issues or something and leave it at that.
"Publicise it to the world" ?

Being open and honest about mental health is a battle. Good on the club for not hiding it.

it's called raising awareness, to lessen the stigma of what has been historically a massively under-recognised condition

I think society is aware enough these days we don't need to put the spotlight on every single person who gets diagnosed. Give them their privacy and let them deal with it in private, not splashed all over the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on. Doubt gerald will push him very hard either.

Meanwhile he was absolutely giving it to the pies and Buckley in person last year over an apparent illicit drug use within the playing list.

The way Robbo got personal on the show earlier this week that the time, if any, Gerald would do anything.

I find the social media witch hunt a bit much.

People bemoan ignorance and claim how little understanding there is of depression yet prefer to perform character assassinations rather than educate those that display that level of ignorance.

Should Robbo know better?

Arguable. He's a public figure in a highly lucrative position and should be more careful about what he says. He's also a football journalist and mental illness is not his area of expertise.

The point is if you want to help the perception and misunderstanding of the illness do something constructive.

A number of former AFL players - including Scott Cummings - have slammed Mark Robinson over his "insensitive" tweet about Alex Fasolo.

The Herald Sun's chief footy writer captioned an image of Fasolo at Collingwood training: “Good drugs - Clinical depression on Tuesday, training Thursday.”

Robinson has since apologised for the tweet which he said was a "wrong choice of words"

"Insenstive tweet about Alex Fasolo. Apologies to Alex and the fans. Wrong choice of words."

Cummings, along with Bradd Dalziell‏, Jacob Brennan‏, Ben Ross and James Magner have voiced their concern over Robinson's Tweet.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/former-afl-players-slam-mark-robinson
poor choice of words or not, it was a poor sentiment.
a simple "good to see you back" would have sufficed
Either he was being a low life prick insinuating Fasolo was faking, or he was being a boorish prick trying to be funny in covering his return.

"Publicise it to the world" ?

Being open and honest about mental health is a battle. Good on the club for not hiding it.

It's dead easy for the club, they don't have it. This thread is a perfect example of why keeping it private isn't such a bad idea.

Does your work broadcast all your medical diagnosis to the world?

It's dead easy for the club, they don't have it. This thread is a perfect example of why keeping it private isn't such a bad idea.

Does your work broadcast all your medical diagnosis to the world?
Many members of BigFooty are always quick to point out my deficiencies.

I was at work 2 days after a suicide attempt because I couldn't afford to get fired. Sometimes you just find a way to push yourself through despite every inch of you wanting it to run away. Fasolo is doing great by getting out of bed and going for a run with his mates despite what is going on in his head and he should be proud of it.

So Robbo **** you apology not accepted you ignorant old moron.

Hope you're in a better place now mate. :)

I think society is aware enough these days we don't need to put the spotlight on every single person who gets diagnosed. Give them their privacy and let them deal with it in private, not splashed all over the media.
Pretty sure Robbo's tweet clearly shows that society is not aware enough after making a comment like that...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back