Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

37 - [PLAYERCARD]Dylan Clarke[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Not offered a contract for 2021
Last Game Played: Round 23, 2021 (omitted)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:
Another 20 touches (3rd highest bomber) and 8 Tackles (Highest Bomber) this week. Good to see him still being consistent and with Ridley coming back soon we should see every player drafted last year playing this week.

Was sort of an invisible game in a way where you did not notice him a lot. Mainly because our outside run was nothing to write home about so the short handballs in close did not have as much effect. Has to work on his ball drop. He has no technical issue with his kicking style it is his ball drop can be all over the place. It is a similar issue to what Colyer had early (and again Sat night)

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
Was sort of an invisible game in a way where you did not notice him a lot. Mainly because our outside run was nothing to write home about so the short handballs in close did not have as much effect. Has to work on his ball drop. He has no technical issue with his kicking style it is his ball drop can be all over the place. It is a similar issue to what Colyer had early (and again Sat night)

How many AFL playing players have this issue? I would dare say more than a handful. Maybe one per side if not more? With the spot where we find the senior side now and its clear lack of ball getting power (i.e. not from the backline), is it really an issue that holds him back? Could the side sacrifice a bit of ball kicking precision for a bit of actually getting your hands on the ball power?

I just think you can have 22 players who can kick a ball into a garbage bin from 50m all day long but if you can't get your hands on the ball, well the then you will die a slow death....a bit like last week.

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
What he needs is to go to school on how to kick right foot. From what I've seen his left is nigh on unfixable.

Ok, so he will turn the ball over on his right (and/or left)foot....no different to many established players from last week!! But if we can get a few games into him now, give him a first hand taste of what it involves at the highest level, then a couple of things may happen - including a realisation that he genuinely needs to improve his right (and/or left) side over the summer.

I just feel if we keep persisting with the same old guard, well we will prob finish 9-14th. But if we take a risk with a few players who could be part of the future, we will still finish 9-14th but the benefits will be seen next year.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

What do you mean by kicking style and how does it differ to ball drop?

Interested to know.

What do you mean by kicking style and how does it differ to ball drop?

Interested to know.

It is not a strange action. He kicks through the ball Ok. He just drops it on odd angles so it can fly off the boot in any direction.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
So could he develop into an inside bull to feed Zerrett/Parish or will the kicking always hinder him?
Absolutely he could, Most good inside bulls aren't the greatest kicks, as long as he works within his limitations he will be very effective. As a ball winning inside mid he was in the best 5 for the whole draft last year. If he was a good kick he would have been a top 20 certainty.

The bio I made on him on the first page sums him up.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Been very impressive has young Dylan. His work rate and tenacity has been the most outstanding aspect of this first years game. He doesn't take a backward step.

He is in the top 5 for contested possessions in the VFL this year, an outstanding result considering some of the warriors who still ply there trade each week at various clubs.

The kicking is a work in progress, limiting that, and the decision making is the two crucial areas of his game to morph him into an AFL level midfielder. He is a ball hunter, not a reactionary player hence my displeasure at the thought of him being a tagger.

He could come good, still lots of water to go under the bridge but I am enjoying seeing his development in the VFL this year.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Been very impressive has young Dylan. His work rate and tenacity has been the most outstanding aspect of this first years game. He doesn't take a backward step.

He is in the top 5 for contested possessions in the VFL this year, an outstanding result considering some of the warriors who still ply there trade each week at various clubs.

The kicking is a work in progress, limiting that, and the decision making is the two crucial areas of his game to morph him into an AFL level midfielder. He is a ball hunter, not a reactionary player hence my displeasure at the thought of him being a tagger.

He could come good, still lots of water to go under the bridge but I am enjoying seeing his development in the VFL this year.
He was a personal favourite of mine last year I knew his drawbacks but I thought his positives far outweighed his negatives. What I saw at TAC level was a contested beast and ball magnet who worked hard both ways and was intelligent with ball in hand. Kicking sometimes was decent last year and some of his worst kicks have been his year but I thought his kicking was fine on the weekend and it can be worked on, he is smart and determined and not a bad overhead mark too boot so I'm very confident he will play alot of AFL level footy for us

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

If I knew Clarke and had a chance of influencing him I'd tell him to spend the 10 weeks off season learning how to kick with his right foot. He has to do something because his kicking is horrid but he is far too good at every other part of the game to risk not making it because he grew up with a bad kicking technique.

All of the most 'natural' dual sided players generally have a story of a period of time during which they had no choice but to learn how to kick with an opposite foot.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
If I knew Clarke and had a chance of influencing him I'd tell him to spend the 10 weeks off season learning how to kick with his right foot. He has to do something because his kicking is horrid but he is far too good at every other part of the game to risk not making it because he grew up with a bad kicking technique.

All of the most 'natural' dual sided players generally have a story of a period of time during which they had no choice but to learn how to kick with an opposite foot.
I had a spur in my foot as a kid and it hurt to kick on my right so I decided to kick on my left and now it's natural. I can 100% vouch for that idea

If he would was a year more advanced he'd be a chance to slot in this week. Seems like he's quite creative and knows what he's doing as a small forward and obviously loves the contested stuff

Back