QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Toots,

You should have just had the Div 1 side take on the QWAFL side in a battle to decide which team should be considered the senior team at the club.

Get yours thirds to actually play the game an humiliate them, so they are treated as they should be as a sideshow to the real stuff.

Couple of girls are fly in, fly out... Seriously.. Is crapola at mens level, quite amazingly stupid at womens level. Yes I know it is the #1 comp in Qld but still...

Toots,

You should have just had the Div 1 side take on the QWAFL side in a battle to decide which team should be considered the senior team at the club.

Get yours thirds to actually play the game an humiliate them, so they are treated as they should be as a sideshow to the real stuff.

They had there chance as the number 1 team and were terrible and now they've dropped down and are a chance of relegation. Girls playing there have more of a chance of playing professionally than any of the blokes (combined loss of 200 points to kings in seniors reserves last weekend) don't think anyone getting drafted there.

If i were the committee i would put more resources into athletes that can make a career. not blokes who are just having a kick. (if they can get the ball)

Really interesting round of footy with all matches close and a couple of upsets. Only one team looks really off the pace and that's bond right now. Could not tell you who would be favourite but Noosa looks strong with a well balanced side and to knock Mayne over who fielded a very strong team and a big day with housegos game record being made shows their resilience. Maroochy have a few good uns to come back in including Paul bevan who reportedly is pulling the boots back on this week. Yeronga are travelling okay and the Pumas and blues will no doubt bounce back. Good comp.

smy1305, The next two weeks will be extraordinary for this Division. To my knowledge, locally, it is unprecedented with clubs to play each other in fixture games in consecutive weeks.
And all games will go a long way towards setting some clubs up for finals. Each team can treat the next two weeks like a Test series.
Based on ladder positions, you'd expect Noosa (1) will defeat UQ (9) in both games. Same for Maroochydore (2) over Bond Uni (10). It will strengthen their position at the top of the ladder. But then again, you never know...
Caloundra (7) and Burleigh (8) - two wins to either club will keep a mathematical chance of finals alive. But split the games, 1 each, and the rest of the year becomes very tough for both.
Mayne (5) and Coorparoo (4) represents a magnificent match-up as both teams stake their claim for a double chance at the end of the year.
And from a Devils' perspective, Yeronga (6) needs at least one victory over Springwood (3), perhaps two, to challenge the Top Five.
All up, it makes for an intriguing fortnight in Division One.
Bring on the Test Series!

Not everyone plays back to back toucan. For some reason maroochy v bond then Caloundra v bond and Caloundra v Burleigh then maroochy v Burleigh.
But yeah really strange for those ther clubs meeting 2 weeks in a row. Think next few weeks will be crucial as you said. Good comp though bc I wouldn't want to be predicting results after last weekend!

Last edited:
Really? What a shame. I made an assumption, & it turned out wrong. Ha!
Would've been fascinating.
There is an evenness across the comp - but a few more "upsets" like this week will certainly add to the intrigue.

Seems odd to be playing back to games. The wet Weather make up round was scheduled for the weekend of July 22/23, that's when other divisions will be playing their round 1 wash outs. If someone like say a Yeronga loses both matches against Springwood it could put them right behind the 8 ball and playing catch up for the rest of the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It must be embarrassing for both aflq and uni regarding there current situation. Put into the top comp a couple yrs ago with no sustained success where they were was, as mentioned at the time, a flawed decision. The administrators at Uni are to take blame as on what basis did they think they could be highly competitive on field. Someone might correct me if im wrong but there only method of recruiting seems to be through the University and scholarships. This ultimately means your only going to get a 19/20 yr old and i would love to know there retention rate once they finish uni. My experience with regional uni sides is they rarely have success in a reasonable comp. In holidays they are decimated by students returning home and at exam time and rightly so, hurt by players absence. Hard to build continuity and consistency. From my info they were simply uncompetitive yesterday and seems has been the case all yr. As mentioned in previous posts it seems they have placed a priority on there womens side, well and good but it seems to be at significant detriment to the mens.

Yes must be hard as a coach when the side is so unpredictable from week to week let alone year to year. Was a stupid decision back in 2015 to put them up 2 divs and my nail us that the scholarships are the only offering made to players..
Both university teams sitting at the bottom of div 1. Saying this they are invariably good blokes that bust an arse each week.
Div 1 getting interesting at half way mark. IMO only Noosa and maroochy can guarantee finals action at this stage.

It must be embarrassing for both aflq and uni regarding there current situation. Put into the top comp a couple yrs ago with no sustained success where they were was, as mentioned at the time, a flawed decision. The administrators at Uni are to take blame as on what basis did they think they could be highly competitive on field. Someone might correct me if im wrong but there only method of recruiting seems to be through the University and scholarships. This ultimately means your only going to get a 19/20 yr old and i would love to know there retention rate once they finish uni. My experience with regional uni sides is they rarely have success in a reasonable comp. In holidays they are decimated by students returning home and at exam time and rightly so, hurt by players absence. Hard to build continuity and consistency. From my info they were simply uncompetitive yesterday and seems has been the case all yr. As mentioned in previous posts it seems they have placed a priority on there womens side, well and good but it seems to be at significant detriment to the mens.

Sydney Uni go ok in the NEAFL....

But yes, it was a poor decision to ever have them in the QAFL - and now the QAFL is compromised by only having 9 sides. Realistically the top Div 1 sides would all probably be stronger than Sandgate as well - the promo/relegation isn't automatic between QAFL and Div 1.

From what I hear though, when Toots got gunned - a few players weren't too happy and probably packed their bags too, as the pre-season probably suggested they would be far more competitive.

Yeah I didn't hear that doddsy re players leaving UQ. The guy who took over pretty well respected bloke so not sure it created a mutiny. No doubt a UQ person could be more accurate.
Good point re sydney Uni.

Not aware of any players leaving, but obviously something isn't right. Looked competitive in pre-season and early in the year and now they are effectively the bye.

If they still have the same team, morale must be low or injuries have hit hard. Probably the latter

Injuries in the middle if exam block would hurt.

Though one would think the uni would try to work with the club and not schedule exams for players on a Saturday.

We had senior QAFL players st the Magpies miss games due to exams earlier in the year and i couldn't believe it. Surely QAFL is considered a high enough level for a player to ask for thru exam to be sat another day?

Many moons ago i played Premier Rugby at UQ and if there was any sort of clash with exams or assessment, the club would quickly sort it out on my behalf and extensions were granted and exams rescheduled no problem.

It was just a given. The aussie rules blokes should get the same concessions

UQ reserves had 4 players that were in the squad the weekend before the Noosa game, the rest were made up of coaches and 3's players. Full squad out due to exams, surely something has to be done about this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sydney Uni go ok in the NEAFL....

But yes, it was a poor decision to ever have them in the QAFL - and now the QAFL is compromised by only having 9 sides. Realistically the top Div 1 sides would all probably be stronger than Sandgate as well - the promo/relegation isn't automatic between QAFL and Div 1.

From what I hear though, when Toots got gunned - a few players weren't too happy and probably packed their bags too, as the pre-season probably suggested they would be far more competitive.

Yep Sydney Uni are going well , but im sure they are in a position to pay players outside the uni to recruit, Jed Turner a few yrs ago comes to mind. What im saying is if you only have a couple of scholarships to offer and no ability to recruit through remuneration, then your in trouble. Its sounds nice and fluffy blokes will just come in and play for nothing, but it doesnt happen, not the very very good ones anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back