Community hub for Lathlain

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Got a set of plans for this today. It looks a top notch facility but hard to call it a community hub when compared with Freo's facility (which is my new gym). In any case it looks to be really well kitted out as a training and coaching facility.

Got a set of plans for this today. It looks a top notch facility but hard to call it a community hub when compared with Freo's facility (which is my new gym). In any case it looks to be really well kitted out as a training and coaching facility.
City of Cockburn chipped in the majority of the funding for the dockers facility I believe or a very significant portion at least and certainly far more than what the town of Victoria park are putting in. They aren't doing much more than allowing West Coast to use the land as the Eagles are paying for most of it.

The lathlain facility is ~half the cost of ********** if my memory is right which goes a long way to explaining why one is a genuine community hub and the other is not

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
City of Cockburn chipped in the majority of the funding for the dockers facility I believe or a very significant portion at least and certainly far more than what the town of Victoria park are putting in. They aren't doing much more than allowing West Coast to use the land as the Eagles are paying for most of it.

The lathlain facility is ~half the cost of ********** if my memory is right which goes a long way to explaining why one is a genuine community hub and the other is not

Yep Cockburn coughed up a lot of coin and the facility has been immensely popular so far.

I can't comment too much on the comparisons between the training facilities themselves but as a community hub the Cockburn one shadows it undoubtedly - and that's where a lot of the coin has gone.

This looks worlds better than the videos of the WCE setup at Subi, though. Reckon the players would be stoked to train there and have access to the space and equipment.

Yep Cockburn coughed up a lot of coin and the facility has been immensely popular so far.

I can't comment too much on the comparisons between the training facilities themselves but as a community hub the Cockburn one shadows it undoubtedly - and that's where a lot of the coin has gone.

This looks worlds better than the videos of the WCE setup at Subi, though. Reckon the players would be stoked to train there and have access to the space and equipment.
The Subiaco facilities were pretty impressive at the time they were built but that's about 20 years ago and most, if not all clubs, would have surpassed them by now and by some margin

Can't be built soon enough

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Some of the guys in our office are working on this project. It might not seem as grand as the cockburn one but the facilities are top notch and a 1000 times better than what they are working with currently.
So long as the football facilities are the best in the league I don't give a rats ass about the community aspect of Freos nor ours.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Might be the first time we've put football ahead of "community" for a while then.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
When is Lathlain due to be complete?

Ideally it would have been complete by the end of this year, which iirc was the original plan, so that it was done by the time Perth Stadium was open.

Lathlain

Draftee
Jan 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
When is Lathlain due to be complete?

Ideally it would have been complete by the end of this year, which iirc was the original plan, so that it was done by the time Perth Stadium was open.
Construction starts next month - due for completion early 2019

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Construction starts next month - due for completion early 2019

Should be able to knock it out faster than that if they want to. Don't have to do much digging down and at 3 levels tall you'd imagine it'll go up reasonably fast.

If we could get in there for the entirety of the 2019 preseason that should be the aim.

Lathlain

Draftee
Jan 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Should be able to knock it out faster than that if they want to. Don't have to do much digging down and at 3 levels tall you'd imagine it'll go up reasonably fast.

If we could get in there for the entirety of the 2019 preseason that should be the aim.
Given that the main oval (currently being used by Perth) is the dimensions of Perth Stadium I would hope / expect that they will do all pre-season running and skill training for 2018 at Lathlain.

Given that the main oval (currently being used by Perth) is the dimensions of Perth Stadium I would hope / expect that they will do all pre-season running and skill training for 2018 at Lathlain.

Potential stumbling block for that is the distance to travel from Subiaco oval to lathlain which is about 15 minutes rather than the 5 minutes it takes to get from subi to Wembley where they did this years preseason training

Lathlain

Draftee
Jan 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Potential stumbling block for that is the distance to travel from Subiaco oval to lathlain which is about 15 minutes rather than the 5 minutes it takes to get from subi to Wembley where they did this years preseason training
Nah - drive out of Subiaco, through the tunnel, swing past the Stadium, one right turn and you are at Lathlain.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Victoria Park chief executive Anthony Vuleta said there were no concerns for the Demons and Eagles operating side-by-side.
http://www.communitynews.com.au/wes...ootball-clubs-goal-with-lathlain-park-revamp/

Mr Vuleta said Zone 3 for the Eagles – the construction of two ovals, oval fencing, goal posts and netting – was near completion while the construction of the main administration, training and community facility was scheduled to start in August.

West Coast Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett said the club would stay at Subiaco Oval in 2018 before moving to Lathlain in 2019.

“We have narrowed it down to four tenders for the building and hopefully we will have a result by the end of August,” he said.

“We want to make sure we are entrenched in the community and we also have the Wirrpanda Foundation based out here.”

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
As far as I can tell the project was only pushed out to four Builders at all. BGC, EMCO, Cooper & Oxley, Perkins. So that's not really narrowing anything down.

If they hope to let the project go by late August they won't be turning dirt next month.

Back