2017 International Footy Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting comments on this topic.
However the fact remains the AFL is tinkering around the edges with the International Game in all areas. Nothing to date it seems will shift that attitude.
The locals and expats will continue to drive the overseas expansion well into the future.
There is one possible exception to that scenario however tenuous at the moment - It appears that AFL Port Adelaide are prepared to forgo a Womens Team for now and instead focus on development in China.
Most AFL fans probably think that is crazy because of the tangible benefits of having a Womens team and intangible benefits of having Chinese running around playing the game.
Port are playing the "Long Game" so as to speak and are thinking/hoping that it will bring the financial and development gains.
Would really like to see their budget and master plan for the next 5 years, which they have stated is the future period they are looking at.

However the fact remains the AFL is tinkering around the edges with the International Game in all areas.

To have a meaning discussion about Australian Football overseas you first have to recognize that different regions have different approaches.
Significant investment in the southern hemisphere w.r.t. the RSA, PNG and NZ.
AFL Combines in North america and England.
Modest investment in the South Pacific. Some help with organic football in Europe, North America and Asia.

It appears that AFL Port Adelaide are prepared to forgo a Womens Team for now and instead focus on development in China.

IMO the and tangible benefits of having Chinese investment are much better than intangible benefits of having a Womens team.
The AFLW has been fantastic for football but the next AFLW teams should be in Tasmania and Gold Coast first and possibly Canberra, Newcastle etc.
The Port Adelaide/AFL assisted push into China is not primarily about getting the Chinese to play Australian Football.
Primarily it's about invest in P.A. AFC. Secondly it's about increasing television coverage. Ultimately participation will increase.

To have a meaning discussion about Australian Football overseas you first have to recognize that different regions have different approaches.
Significant investment in the southern hemisphere w.r.t. the RSA, PNG and NZ.
AFL Combines in North america and England.
Modest investment in the South Pacific. Some help with organic football in Europe, North America and Asia.

IMO the and tangible benefits of having Chinese investment are much better than intangible benefits of having a Womens team.
The AFLW has been fantastic for football but the next AFLW teams should be in Tasmania and Gold Coast first and possibly Canberra, Newcastle etc.
The Port Adelaide/AFL assisted push into China is not primarily about getting the Chinese to play Australian Football.
Primarily it's about invest in P.A. AFC. Secondly it's about increasing television coverage. Ultimately participation will increase.

To the average AFL fan he can now see the benefits of a Womens AFL team in front of him IE Tangible.
However talk about his club getting a benefit down the track from investing in China and he will say what benefit, because he cannot see it and would probably say -Good luck with that. IE Intangible.
Anyway we all hope Port are happy with what transpires and we award them the Golden Boot and Football for developing International Footy.

To the average AFL fan he can now see the benefits of a Womens AFL team in front of him IE

And the average person can make the distinction between the AFLW and an enlarged AFLW.
New teams in new areas are easily more beneficial to the AFLW, AFL and football than already serviced cities.

talk about his club getting a benefit down the track .

The benefit is already locked in. It paid for the exhibition game and P.A. are already half-way to underwriting next year's game.
People talk about "investment in China" but in reality it is more like a portal for Chinese to invest in Australia.
In many people's eyes, football is secondary to the business, hardly intangible.

Anyway we all hope Port are happy with what transpires and we award them the Golden Boot and Football for developing International Footy.

Port Adelaide AFC are already happy with what has transpired but it will be some time until international grassroots football feels the benefit.

about 120,000 according to last figures.
That is significant as a playing base.

So, you understand that bit.

And the I.C. is already streamed in part. Add it to your list.

You don't seem to have much grasp of cost/benefit analysis.
The benefits can be seen in the organisational side of things like when AFL Europe was created.
The benefit of one provider over the current add-hoc arrangement is significant.
Overseas interests can watch multiple games at ease not just their local feed.
The more exposure football receives overseas then the greater the chance to attract newbies.
Domestically and internationally, an official feed could be promoted with a simple link.

Currently overseas, w.r.t. to the pricing arrangement AFL subscriptions are held by a few people who commonly share the coverage at their local club. The AFL needs to look at it's pricing policy as to achieve the optimum pricing. IMO you could get higher nett returns by lowering the price.
Back to the I.C.. if the AFL actively promoted I.C. streaming as an added extra that would be a significant boost to football overseas generally.

The attraction of international football doesn't have to be stated.
An integrated professional coverage allows overseas clubs to promote their involvement.
I have watched all the streamed video of the international cups to date.
I have posted video of the international cups to BF.
I think that the overseas growth of the game is imperative and should be a priority of the AFL.
They are not doing nearly enough in this area
However, sorry, but your post is borderline delusional.

120 000 is the latest figures is it.
There is about 30 countries with organised Aussie rules. Thats an average of 4000 participants per country. The USAFL (generally regarded as in the top 3 participation wise) has a bit over 1000 participants, call it 1500. They have no juniors to speak off.
England have no participation numbers I can find, but have something like half the teams the US does, so call it 750. they have no juniors to speak of. They have some people going into schools, if you want to call a school kid kicking a footy during Wednesday sport for a few weeks a participant.
Ireland has fewer teams than England, call it 500
Then we have Europe
Andorra, clubs 0
Austria, clubs 1
Belgium 0
Croatia 7
Czech 1
Denmark 7 (not sure all 7 are in Denmark, so they may be double counted)
Estonia 0
Finland, not sure, maybe a couple?
France 10
Germany 8

I would continue, but we have already covered the biggest comps in Europe, all the rest would be less than what I have already listed, which is 34, lets make it 60 in total. If each club had 30 participants (some leagues do not play 18 a side, so thats generous), that would be 1800 participants in Europe.

So US + England, + Ireland + Europe = 4500 approx.
Canada, better organised but a bit smaller than US, call it 1000.
NZ, adult participants, call it 1000 (my understanding is its more like 700).
SA, well thats interesting. It was being trumpeted a few years back, but their websites haven't had an update in several years. When it was posting, it was still a lot smaller than footy in England or the US, but lets be generous, and call it 1000.

Thats 7500.

You see my problem.

We can add PNG, and if you include all the junior programs, you are looking at 4 - 5000. lets call it 5K

Thats 12.5K

Now if we are really generous, and include the kiwikick program which does reach a lot of kids, and ignore the fact that almost none of them go on to junior footy (or even have a junior comp to go onto), you can add maybe 20000 participants, and 20000 or so promotional. Secondary school prgrammes reached about 7.5k in 2015, allow for growth, call it 10k.

So, if we add NZ preschoolers, and kids doing footy in NZ school programs, and promotional programs (not sure what that is, do they get a brochure?), we can add 50K

Thats 62k.

Then there is Nauru (10 teams) call it 1000 (the 10 is senior teams, they would have junior comps underneath).
The pacific islands, call it 500 again (really generous).

Thats 64k (including preschoolers and school kids doing basic sport).

The number of adult playing participants worldwide is 12 - 15 k MAX.

Add club participants that do not play (coaches, umps, volunteers etc) you can maybe argue for 20k (but not very realistically).

I am sure there are sports that involve pocking yourself in the eye with a stick that have higher international participation than that. It makes Rugby league look like a global sporting titan.

120k would be fantastic for international participation for footy, if only it wasn't like a tenth of that, spread all over the world. I would rather have 1 country have 10k adult participants than 20k spread over 30 countries.

Streaming the IC to them is like an AFL club posting promotional material to its membership list. Yes, you need to do it, yes, it comes under the heading marketing, but the contribution to actually marketing the club to prospective members is zero, and this is what the whole argument was over, promoting footy overseas. Is the IC a vehicle to do it, no.

What will it take to get an american who has never heard of Australian football to take an interest in the game, an awful lot, and none of it will involve streaming the IC.

Which we should do (and will do),anyway.

I have watched all the streamed video of the international cups to date.

And what streams were those ?

I have ......

little comprehsion.
The post stated "participants" for starters and you changed that to your version of registered players.
You conveniently list the small countries then skip over the large countries.
You seem to have no idea of numbers despite your supposed widespread knowledge of the situation.

What will it take to get an american who has never heard of Australian football to take an interest in the game, an awful lot, and none of it will involve streaming the IC.

That doesn't make sense. Americans like other people have picked up AFL in a variety of ways, some of which is quite casual.
You don't seem to have an imagination what so ever or how to promote the game or the reality of an amateur club.
American clubs, arguably use the most diverse approach to promotion and development.
They have G.F. parties, Australia Day, ANZAC day, Fetes, Gaelic challenges and educational visitations etc.
It doesn't take much imagination for clubs to have an I.C. promotion.
The pull of patriotism is very strong in the U.S.A. and the most widely used device and effective device in organic club development
- bring-a-friend is ideal for this promotion.

Countries Playing Regular Australian Football Competition.

IC = International Cup, ECP = European Championship, Eu = Euro Cup

Abu Dhabi, AFLME

Argentina, AFLA

Australia, AFL

Austria, AFLA, EU

Bahrain, AFLME

Brunei, BAFL/AFLA

Cambodia, AFLA

Canada, AFLC, IC, ECP(AC), 49thP

China, AFLA, IC

Croatia, CAAF, ECP, EU

Czech Rebublic, CAFL, EU

Denmark, DAFL, ECP, IC

Dubai, AFLME

East Timor (Timor-Leste), AFLTL, IC

England, AFLE, IC, ECP, EU

Fiji, AFLF, IC

Finland, FAFL, IC, ECP, EU

France, CNFA, IC, EU

Germany, AFLG, ECP, EU

Hong Kong, AFLA

Iceland, AFLI, ECP, EU

India, AFLI, IC

Indonesia, AFLI, IC

Ireland, ARLI, IC, ECP

Italy, AFLI

Japan,JAFL, IC

Kuwait, AFLME

Laos, AFLA

Macau, AFLA

Malaysia, AFLA

Myanmar, AFLA

Nauru, NAFA, IC

Netherlands, DAFA, EU

New Zealand, AFLNZ, IC

Norway, NAFL

Oman, AFLME

Pakistan, PAFL, IC

Papua New Guinea, AFLPNG, IC

Philippines, PAFL

Qatar, AFLME

Russia, AFLR, EU

Samoa, SAFA, IC

Scotland, AFLS, EU

Singapore, AFLA

Solomon Islands, SIAFL

South Africa, AFLSA, IC

Sweden, SAFL, IC, ECP

Switzerland, AFLS

Thailand, AFLA

Tonga, AFLT, IC

United States America, USAFL, IC, ECP(AC), 49thP

Vanuatu, AFLV

Vietnam, AFLA

Wales, WARFL

Irregular Competition

Andorra, Andorra Crows, CAFL

Belgium, AFLB, EU

Catalonia, LFAC, IC, EU

Chile, Santiago Saints

Colombia, Bogota Bulldogs

Portugal, AFLP

Spain, AFLS, IC

Israel, IC

Palestine, IC

Informal Competition

Bermuda, Bermuda Lions

Botswana, FootyWild

Brazil, Brazil Carnaval

Georgia, EU

Ghana, Wiki

Kenya, FootyWild, Kenya Vs Tanzania

Lebanon, Lebanon Falcons

Malta, Auskick

Montenegro, IC

Poland, Pozan Bisons

Senegal, IAFC

Sri Lanka, AFSL

Tanzania, FootyWild, Kenya Vs Tanzania

Uganda, Wiki

Zimbabwe, FootyWild

P.S. The figure of 120,000 was NOT my figure it was an official figure.

And what streams were those ?

little comprehsion.
The post stated "participants" for starters and you changed that to your version of registered players.
You conveniently list the small countries then skip over the large countries.
You seem to have no idea of numbers despite your supposed widespread knowledge of the situation.

That doesn't make sense. Americans like other people have picked up AFL in a variety of ways, some of which is quite casual.
You don't seem to have an imagination what so ever or how to promote the game or the reality of an amateur club.
American clubs, arguably use the most diverse approach to promotion and development.
They have G.F. parties, Australia Day, ANZAC day, Fetes, Gaelic challenges and educational visitations etc.
It doesn't take much imagination for clubs to have an I.C. promotion.
The pull of patriotism is very strong in the U.S.A. and the most widely used device and effective device in organic club development
- bring-a-friend is ideal for this promotion.

Countries Playing Regular Australian Football Competition.

IC = International Cup, ECP = European Championship, Eu = Euro Cup

Abu Dhabi, AFLME

Argentina, AFLA

Australia, AFL

Austria, AFLA, EU

Bahrain, AFLME

Brunei, BAFL/AFLA

Cambodia, AFLA

Canada, AFLC, IC, ECP(AC), 49thP

China, AFLA, IC

Croatia, CAAF, ECP, EU

Czech Rebublic, CAFL, EU

Denmark, DAFL, ECP, IC

Dubai, AFLME

East Timor (Timor-Leste), AFLTL, IC

England, AFLE, IC, ECP, EU

Fiji, AFLF, IC

Finland, FAFL, IC, ECP, EU

France, CNFA, IC, EU

Germany, AFLG, ECP, EU

Hong Kong, AFLA

Iceland, AFLI, ECP, EU

India, AFLI, IC

Indonesia, AFLI, IC

Ireland, ARLI, IC, ECP

Italy, AFLI

Japan,JAFL, IC

Kuwait, AFLME

Laos, AFLA

Macau, AFLA

Malaysia, AFLA

Myanmar, AFLA

Nauru, NAFA, IC

Netherlands, DAFA, EU

New Zealand, AFLNZ, IC

Norway, NAFL

Oman, AFLME

Pakistan, PAFL, IC

Papua New Guinea, AFLPNG, IC

Philippines, PAFL

Qatar, AFLME

Russia, AFLR, EU

Samoa, SAFA, IC

Scotland, AFLS, EU

Singapore, AFLA

Solomon Islands, SIAFL

South Africa, AFLSA, IC

Sweden, SAFL, IC, ECP

Switzerland, AFLS

Thailand, AFLA

Tonga, AFLT, IC

United States America, USAFL, IC, ECP(AC), 49thP

Vanuatu, AFLV

Vietnam, AFLA

Wales, WARFL

Irregular Competition

Andorra, Andorra Crows, CAFL

Belgium, AFLB, EU

Catalonia, LFAC, IC, EU

Chile, Santiago Saints

Colombia, Bogota Bulldogs

Portugal, AFLP

Spain, AFLS, IC

Israel, IC

Palestine, IC

Informal Competition

Bermuda, Bermuda Lions

Botswana, FootyWild

Brazil, Brazil Carnaval

Georgia, EU

Ghana, Wiki

Kenya, FootyWild, Kenya Vs Tanzania

Lebanon, Lebanon Falcons

Malta, Auskick

Montenegro, IC

Poland, Pozan Bisons

Senegal, IAFC

Sri Lanka, AFSL

Tanzania, FootyWild, Kenya Vs Tanzania

Uganda, Wiki

Zimbabwe, FootyWild

P.S. The figure of 120,000 was NOT my figure it was an official figure.
The finals were streamed. There are Videos and links posted in BigFooty, womensfooty.com and the final at least was posted on afl.com.au

I believe the US and possibly Canada streamed some of their games, or maybe they just recorded and posted the video without live streaming, I cannot recall.

I watched on delay anyway because I was usually at work.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Andorra, clubs 0
Austria, clubs 1
Belgium 0
Croatia 7
Czech 1
Denmark 7 (not sure all 7 are in Denmark, so they may be double counted)
Estonia 0
Finland, not sure, maybe a couple?
France 10
Germany 8

I don't know why you focussed on these clubs but

Andorra, 1 club plays irregularly.
Austria, 1 clubs now has metro league.
Belgium 1 club plays irregularly.
Croatia 7 clubs and might be coming to I.C.
Czech 1 club regular plus metro league.
Denmark multiple clubs responsible for spreading AFL across Scandanavia, notably Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland.
Estonia like Bulgaria and others have interest only a.t.m.
Finland 4 teams.
France 10 clubs
Germany 8 clubs half with metro leagues.

They have no juniors to speak off.

Again you seem to have to grasp of the real situation.
Due to some fantastic work by a handful of volunteers school programs and junior leagues are becoming more evident.
Try Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, London, USA, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia
and various nations across the South Pacific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can add PNG, and if you include all the junior programs, you are looking at 4 - 5000.
lets call it 5K

"General Manager
AFL PNG
November 2012 – January 2014 (1 year 3 months)

AFLPNG administers Australian Rules football in Papua New Guinea.

The sport has a long tradition in PNG, and currently boasts 30,000 participants around the nation. There is a 10 team senior competition in Port Moresby underpinned by 10 under 18 teams and over 25 junior club teams.

Club and school competitions are conducted in Lae, West New Britain, Kavieng, Lihir Island, Mt. Hagen, and Kokopo/Rabaul.

Niukick (PNG version of Auskick) centres are also run in many other parts of the nation.

The Coca-Cola Under 14 PNG Binatangs won the Queensland State Academy Grand Final by 9 goals in 2013.

The Coca-Cola Under 16 PNG Binatangs won the inaugural South Pacific Cup by 10 goals in 2013.

9 PNG players are currently playing with Australian clubs on scholarships. "

Let's call it 30,000 as of January 2014.

Canada, better organised but a bit smaller than US, call it 1000.

2013 USAFL President's Report

"Participation numbers have continued to grow at a local level with metro and co-ed leagues across the country. Golden Gate, Portland, Baltimore-Washington, and Chicago are examples of strong metro communities and recently, co-ed leagues have formed in Sacramento, Denver, and Columbus. The National Tournament continues to be the marquee event of the USAFL season with close to 1,000 participants over the two-day period. Full 18-a-side matches are now being played in three men’s and one women’s division. The Masters v. Legends Alumni game at Nationals, in its second year, is proving to be a popular event and looks towards future expansion. The introduction of the League Management System (LMS) helps track the participation and provides transparency for all teams and players."

It is to be noted that USAFL had 1,000 participants just at their nationals !
It is also to be noted that generally only 18-a-side players officially register with the USAFL.

Would be to good to see breakdown Country by Country but of course those figures will be "Confidential" for Commercial reasons.

2016 AFL Canada President's Report.

"Our TV commercial was aired during nearly every AFL game played on TSN during the year, helping grow the exposure of the sport.

There were 300 WatchAFL live passes sold into Canada, but only 20 utilised our discount code. We encourage every club to promote that opportunity to your players in 2017 to provide a discount to AFL Canada registrants, and help generate some revenue for AFL Canada (approx. $300 in revenue was earned in 2016, but could’ve been $2,000+ if everyone had utilised our discount code)."

120 000 is the latest figures is it.

2016 AFL Annual report.

"The number of people playing Australian Football increased to record levels in 2016, with total participation growing by 12.5 per cent, reaching 1,404,176. Positive growth across every State and Territory saw participation grow nationally, up from 1,247,575 in 2015. An additional 2,348,872 people were engaged through school or community-based clinics and promotions, while total international participation reached 132,890. Women’s and youth girls football was again a standout for growth in 2016, with 354 new community club teams taking to the field, increasing the total number of female-only community club teams to 983. Women and girls represent 27 per cent of total football participation across all competitions and programs. The number of males playing our game also rose in 2016, as did total community football participation (up 7.3 per cent). The growth resulted in a five per cent increase in the total number of football teams across all competitions. The AFL would like to acknowledge the Austral"

I was wrong . It seems it would be 132,890.

Last edited:
Streaming the IC17 as a marketing exercise for the international game is an exercise with no value.

It should be streamed, but because it deserves to be streamed, not because it will help grow the game overseas (it will not).

Disagree. We're going to hyping the heck out of this tournament, including having all ten games broadcast live in some form. We'll be taking out social media adds and using our club networks to spread these broadcasts that way.

Will it change things overnight? No. But don't doubt the power of social media and advertisement. We just put on a tournament in Little Rock, Arkansas, a city of 200,000 with a club that just started in August. We had about 100 locals come up, and a few said that they were either interested in playing, organizing, or knew people who were interested in helping out. It may be small, but it's something.

That's all we can do. Sometimes when you talk, people will listen. But you have to talk in order to be heard.

Disagree. We're going to hyping the heck out of this tournament, including having all ten games broadcast live in some form. We'll be taking out social media adds and using our club networks to spread these broadcasts that way.

Great stuff.

We just put on a tournament in Little Rock, Arkansas, a city of 200,000 with a club that just started in August. We had about 100 locals come up, and a few said that they were either interested in playing, organizing, or knew people who were interested in helping out. It may be small, but it's something.

Slightly offtrack, but do you agree with the business sentiment that it's easier to become a big pod in a little city than a little pod in a big city?
It is possible to get some media coverage in a town rather than a city. I see many examples of this.

2016 AFL Annual report.

"The number of people playing Australian Football increased to record levels in 2016, with total participation growing by 12.5 per cent, reaching 1,404,176. Positive growth across every State and Territory saw participation grow nationally, up from 1,247,575 in 2015. An additional 2,348,872 people were engaged through school or community-based clinics and promotions, while total international participation reached 132,890. Women’s and youth girls football was again a standout for growth in 2016, with 354 new community club teams taking to the field, increasing the total number of female-only community club teams to 983. Women and girls represent 27 per cent of total football participation across all competitions and programs. The number of males playing our game also rose in 2016, as did total community football participation (up 7.3 per cent). The growth resulted in a five per cent increase in the total number of football teams across all competitions. The AFL would like to acknowledge the Austral"

I was wrong . It seems it would be 132,890.

Additional stuff in that 2016 AFL report--
International Courses
AFL International affiliates continued to be active in coach development in 2016, with Level 1 courses in Europe, Fiji, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the USA.
Participation totalled more than 130,000 (As above) in programs and competitions, with another 35,000 attending promotional activities.
-
About a decade ago the AFL used to give a Country by Country breakdown on the number of players and the Auskick type programs in their Annual Census, then it ceased with no explanation.
The figure above on total participation INCLUDES Auskick programs as per the main Australian total participation figure. That is AFL policy and is not up for debate.
There is no way there are 132890 people playing our game overseas on a regular structered competition basis, It is fiction.
AFL Europe when Ben McCormack was running it quoted 5,000 official registered players about 3/4 years ago. They were aiming for 10,000, and that Affiliate was the biggest number. No other Affiliate comes close "yet".

Additional stuff in that 2016 AFL report--
International Courses
AFL International affiliates continued to be active in coach development in 2016, with Level 1 courses in Europe, Fiji, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the USA.
Participation totalled more than 130,000 (As above) in programs and competitions, with another 35,000 attending promotional activities.
-
About a decade ago the AFL used to give a Country by Country breakdown on the number of players and the Auskick type programs in their Annual Census, then it ceased with no explanation.
The figure above on total participation INCLUDES Auskick programs as per the main Australian total participation figure. That is AFL policy and is not up for debate.
There is no way there are 132890 people playing our game overseas on a regular structered competition basis, It is fiction.
AFL Europe when Ben McCormack was running it quoted 5,000 official registered players about 3/4 years ago. They were aiming for 10,000, and that Affiliate was the biggest number. No other Affiliate comes close "yet".
Which is where my 12k or 10% of 'official' figures comes from.

Auskick and school program participants are not marketing targets of the IC.

The pool of those with a likely interest in the IC are adult participants, family and friends.

The only realistic measure of overseas growth is adult participants, and organised regular club based junior competition, which is why these figures are hard to come by, as the answer is a lot less impressive than total participation.

AFL Europe when Ben McCormack was running it quoted 5,000 official registered players about 3/4 years ago. They were aiming for 10,000, and that Affiliate was the biggest number.

The outgoing president PNG was hoping for 50,000 participants after reaching 30,000 in 2014.

As I repeatedly state you cannot cherrypick any region as being representative.
If you want a logical discussion you must look at each region in isolation.

Which is where my 12k or 10% of 'official' figures comes from.

So what's the figure for PNG ?

The pool of those with a likely interest in the IC are adult participants, family and friends.

And BigBrainUSA has posted on plans to leverage the I.C. coverage to attract new interest.
So in this case "adult participants" = registered players + metro league players + Austag etc.
"Family and friends" has just INCREASED the pool.
I don't know why you'd want to exclude juniors. I'd imagine a lot of them would be interested because of the personal connection.

And BigBrainUSA has posted on plans to leverage the I.C. coverage to attract new interest.
So in this case "adult participants" = registered players + metro league players + Austag etc.
I don't know why you'd want to exclude juniors. I'd imagine a lot of them would be interested because of the personal connection.
I will give you PNG, that is a decent size, and has a real junior's comp. Hopefully it is a model for what NZ becomes (they are not there yet) and SA. Although footywild could have collapsed all together for all you hear of it.

Some of the Asian countries should be disregarded totally when looking at overseas growth, as they are close to 100% expats. Though some countries are starting to change that.

For me, growth is shown when you have self sustaining clubs and comps, preferably with attached junior's.

Self sustaining is when the bulk of the club, and the bulk of the organising behind the club are local, not expat. If the prospect of a handful of key Aussies leaving leaves the club at the verge of collapse, it doesn't represent growth, it was just a bunch of footy deprived Aussies abroad.

Junior's is independent junior clubs with kids who are there to play football. It isn't a few week promo comp, or Auskick like program because a school sees it as a cheap way of getting some new sport into kids.

NZ has 10s of thousands of kiwikickers, but lots of them don't have a junior club to play at at even if they wanted to.

Teaching 6 year old future Rugby union players how to kick is not growing the game.

For adults, the US is getting there, but it has to have real junior's to advance much further, and there is no real action there. Canada similar, junior's might be a little better.

UK has a lot of expats, making it look better than it is. It has some activity on the junior front, but calling this a success indicates how low expectations are.

The reality is, in most of the countries in which footy is played, most of the people in those countries have never heard of or seen footy, let alone know it's played locally, and participation rates could increase 10x, and this would still be true.

Quoting figures of 130k for participation disguises the hill to climb and how little is being done.

Yes the IC will be used as marketing by individual countries, but that marketing will be to people they can already reach. It does not extend their reach. People not into or aware of footy are not going to take it up because of the IC. It may keep some already in the sport to stay in longer, or help persuade the unsure to give it a try.

Needs to be done, it will help, but we are talking dozens of new people at best, not thousands which is what the game needs.

I will give you PNG, that is a decent size, and has a real junior's comp.

Yes, but what size. Do you have any idea of the numbers ? Obviously not.

Hopefully it is a model for what NZ becomes (they are not there yet) and SA.

PNG and NZ are two completely different scenarios with two completely different approaches and two different outcomes.
PNG and RSA have some similarities but again quite different especially in outcomes.

Some of the Asian countries should be disregarded totally when looking at overseas growth, as they are close to 100% expats.

This is where you are totally outdated. it's something the trolls would continually make refence to.
There has been a huge shift in the number of locals playing Australian Football in Asia.

For adults, the US is getting there, but it has to have real junior's to advance much further, and there is no real action there. Canada similar, junior's might be a little better.

Do you read this stuff off of a Wheaties packet or just rely on bits you've seen on the TV.
Do you read any information from outside of BF because it seems you don't.
"Canada similar, junior's might be a little better." What a total joke.

NZ has 10s of thousands of kiwikickers,

Don't you know the numbers ? Cannot you bring yourself to say the numbers ? It's 30,000.

UK has a lot of expats,.

Good Lordy. Another statement that could be straight out of an ignorant troll's handbook.
The U.K. is so successful that AFL Britain has deconstructed into AFL England, AFL Wales and AFL Scotland.
maybe you would be so kind as just to list the different leagues and teams in England because I've lost track.

Yes the IC will be used as marketing by individual countries,

Wow, you've now openned up to that possibility.

It does not extend their reach.

You just contradicted yourself there. What is the purpose of marketing if not to extend reach ?
Did you not read Big BrainUSA's approach ?

it may keep some already in the sport to stay in longer, or help persuade the unsure to give it a try.

And a number who know little about Australian Football will be inspired to take up the game. it's not rocket science.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back