The WACA - Downfall

Remove this Banner Ad

that's why they are building up circa 4 metres around the new canal by the waca

Most of that sand will go. It's being used to compress the land and drive the water out and make it suitable for building on. They've had more issues with the Waterbank site than where the stadium is.

Hello, does anyone know why we are playing Tasmania @ the gaba this weekend and then playing Tassie in Bankstown Sydney in a few days time?? What happened to playing at home every other game?

Hello, does anyone know why we are playing Tasmania @ the gaba this weekend and then playing Tassie in Bankstown Sydney in a few days time?? What happened to playing at home every other game?

This year and last year there was a change to the one day cup. It is now treated like a sort of world cup tournament.

Last year all the games were in Sydney now Brisbane gets the starting games.

Though on the flipside most matches are now free to air on GEM.

Can anyone tell me of soccer being played at the WACA? And when footy was first played there? Did they ever play WAFL or State of Origin there?

I have a feeling that Perth ( WAFL) actually played there in he late 1890's and early 1900's.

wasn't their some objection originally, buy the local residents & council when it was first proposed that subiaco was to get lights?, with the oval being based out in the suburbs,
It was so the cop shop on the opposing side of the road could watch football aswell as keep an eye on their bets happening at Gloucester Park, but never leave their own building. One if the best corporate boxes on Australia. Cop shop is on the right, Trots is over the far left light.

Attachments

• images (12).jpg
    images (12).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
It was so the cop shop on the opposing side of the road could watch football aswell as keep an eye on their bets happening at Gloucester Park, but never leave their own building. One if the best corporate boxes on Australia. Cop shop is on the right, Trots is over the far left light.

Or head up to the only TAB around at the Carlton hotel which must be the biggest dive of a hotel you have ever seen.

Flop house extraordinaire.

What was the reason as to why the WACA stopped hosting AFL games for FREO and WCE?

Was it simply because of the capacity? Its max was early 30,000's, some 10,000 less than subiaco, although if kept surely it could house games when freo play an interstate team, as FREO AVE around 35,000's over last couple of years, im sure when it plays a gold coast GWS it could be used.

Can anyone find any articles or media on this?

From 1987 to 2000, the ground was used by the West Coast Eagles, and from 1995 by the Fremantle Dockers, both Perth-based AFL teams. 72 AFL matches were held at the ground during this time. From 1995 to 1997 the WACA also served as the home ground for the Western Reds rugby league team. In the late 1990s the ground played host to the Perth Heat in the former Australian Baseball League (1989-1999).
However, for various reasons these sports moved away from the WACA (in the case of night football, to Subiaco Oval), and as a consequence the WACA was again redeveloped in 2002. The capacity of the ground was reduced to around 20,000 and the dimensions of the playing arena were also decreased by a total of 31 metres at the eastern and western boundaries, meaning Australian rules football could no longer be played at the ground. From time to time, temporary stands are used to boosts the ground's capacity to 24,500.

Why was it solely moved due to night football?

There was a contract to play a certain number of games up to a certain year at the WACA.
I can't remember the details of the contract though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lights, Lights, Lights
The WACA had lights before Subi.

It had lights because of the AFL. Funnily enough, Cometti in his book talks about when he was on the feasibility panel to assess whether it was worth putting lights in. He found cricket had virtually no use for them and the VFL (as it was known) couldn't have given 2 shits about what time the Eagles played their games at as long as the licence fee came in on time. So the panel had to recommend no lights, only to find the decision had already been made.

Subi wouldn't have got it at the time because of the local residents. Over time they've been told to shut the * up given they chose to move near the largest stadium in the state.

I remember the 98/99 NSL finals at the WACA. That was the first time soccer really took off in WA. Glory had been getting good crowds at Perth Oval consistently but it was the first finals appearance and Subi wasn't available. Both finals sold out and the first was a come from behind win with Bobby Despotovski winning it late and Bernd Stange kissing the female police officer. 99/00 finals at Subi started off with an injury time winner to Ivan Ergic winning the two leg tie and 43,000 people going nuts before the massive GF choke two weeks later. By the time Glory finally won a GF in 02/03 the public interest had definitely waned a bit. Glory have never recaptured the imagination of WA in the A-League era.

Used to go to Eagles matches there in the 90s, too. Had ground level seats so it wasn't a great footy venue. No cover from the rain and a crap view of everything that wasn't right in front of you. Fat Scott Cummings kicked a lazy 14 there one night against the Crows. 14 marks inside 50 for 14 goals. 15 marks, 17 kicks, 1 handball, 15.1. Classic full forward's game.

The WACA ground is a ripper of a cricket ground. I remember when the eagles used to use that ground as their home ground.
Subi is better for them now but is a bit outdated. Listened to a program on ABC Grandstand last weekend just before the Freo vs pies game about both the new perth oval and subiaco oval. It was a great insight. I just hope that the WACA gets upgraded as well. Then it will be super.

The WACA ground is a ripper of a cricket ground. I remember when the eagles used to use that ground as their home ground.
Subi is better for them now but is a bit outdated. Listened to a program on ABC Grandstand last weekend just before the Freo vs pies game about both the new perth oval and subiaco oval. It was a great insight. I just hope that the WACA gets upgraded as well. Then it will be super.
Once the deal gets done between the WA Government and the WAFC in respect to burning Subi to the ground the WAFC will move their admin base to the WACA and Government money will be committed on a redevelopment.

Once the deal gets done between the WA Government and the WAFC in respect to burning Subi to the ground the WAFC will move their admin base to the WACA and Government money will be committed on a redevelopment.
Both the Subiaco and WACA grounds are very old. I think some of the structures are actually heritage listed from what i remember hearing on the ABC Grandstand program last weekend.
So it could be a little tough to burn down

Both the Subiaco and WACA grounds are very old. I think some of the structures are actually heritage listed from what i remember hearing on the ABC Grandstand program last weekend.

Hard to imagine what parts. Maybe the gates at Subi and the scoreboard at the WACA. It wasn't so long ago the WACA demolished the old old grandstand at the northern end, which I think were 1930s vintage.

They'll keep the heritage listed gate on the west end and the Sandover Medallist walk of fame. The rest is gone and given the latest backflips from McGowan it will probably be turned into a school.

Hard to imagine what parts. Maybe the gates at Subi and the scoreboard at the WACA. It wasn't so long ago the WACA demolished the old old grandstand at the northern end, which I think were 1930s vintage.
Yes it was the old gates at subi.
I'd have to research some of this stuff because i'm not entirely sure about what else is heritage listed.

I don't think the gates are any major obstacle towards demolishing the rest of the ground and redeveloping it. Since the gates are right out on the edge of the site near the street they won't impede onto the site for whatever redevelopment takes place there.

Yes it was the old gates at subi.
I'd have to research some of this stuff because i'm not entirely sure about what else is heritage listed.

Sooz you are way out of your depth, start doggy paddling back to shore

And stay within the flags

Remove this Banner Ad

Back