Jaeger O'Meara

Remove this Banner Ad

Take it with a grain of salt cause it is quoting Barrett but interesting none the less and this injury is a prick to get over and reports from the NFL that have players that get it have only 10% make it back to pre injury capability/form and while many do play on with it they miss a heap of time constantly and are never the same again.

“A medical official familiar with Jaeger O’Meara’s knee condition has told us tonight the latest comeback over O’Meara will be done so in the knowledge that another setback to his problematic knee could be career ending,” Barrett said.

“In layman’s terms, the tendinitis with which he played at the Gold Coast Suns in 2013 and 2014 is effectively permanent, and he’s dealing with that for the remainder of his career.

https://www.zerohanger.com/omearas-...tm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=AFL+Zero+Hanger

Terrible news really and injuries suck.

Interesting theory. Have you put together any solutions to help with the back issue?
Either through stretches or exercises? Has this garnered any research in your experience?

It sounds as though it would be worth looking into, is there any way you can perform this study yourself? Either through you place of work allowing you and supporting this test or finding a way to get funded for it either through the government or some larger medical body?

Edit it's also worth noting I unfortunately got patella tendonopathy in both knees last year. Still get some pain, more in one than the other, but nowhere near as bad. My treatment was strengthening my quad muscles. Not really any stretching or manipulation, just building strength and rest from running/jumping.
There's certainly some simple things that seem to help in a general sense.

Getting rid of the spinal stiffness is often a matter of just manually freeing it up as mentioned above.

At home theres nothing stopping anyone foam rolling or using a ball if they are confident enough to go hunting for and find those stiff areas.

In fact id love for other with the issue to do just that and let me know what they find.

There's certainly more to it but it's really patient specific in terms of strength and general mobility stuff.

Take it with a grain of salt cause it is quoting Barrett but interesting none the less and this injury is a prick to get over and reports from the NFL that have players that get it have only 10% make it back to pre injury capability/form and while many do play on with it they miss a heap of time constantly and are never the same again.

https://www.zerohanger.com/omearas-...tm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=AFL+Zero+Hanger

I clearly have no inside info and I dont want to paint myself as an authority or a know it all, but id be staggered if his Tendonopathy was permanent.

Really can't take Barrett's word. He is blacklisted at the Hawks so he wouldn't have got anything from anyone there. Pretty vague thing to say 'someone familiar with the injury', we'll wait and see but Purple was just headline chasing.

Burgoyne had/has the same knee issues. While he was never the midfield jet he was in 06/07 he did spend 2 yeara getting over it. Im happy wrapping Omeara in wool and focusing on getting him rigjt for the next 7 years

Interesting theory. Have you put together any solutions to help with the back issue?
Either through stretches or exercises? Has this garnered any benefits in your experience?

It sounds as though it would be worth looking into, is there any way you can perform this study yourself? Either through you place of work allowing you and supporting this test or finding a way to get funded for it either through the government or some larger medical body?

Edit it's also worth noting I unfortunately got patella tendonopathy in both knees last year. Still get some pain, more in one than the other, but nowhere near as bad. My treatment was strengthening my quad muscles. Not really any stretching or manipulation, just building strength and rest from running/jumping.
Just on your experience last year- was thr patella tendonopathy brought about by a traumatic incident/crash/clash? Or did it just develop?

With the NRL - is it reasonable to draw parallels on treatment or is our sport unique in its demand on athletes that may consider different treatment options?

Absolutely great info. I have screwed up knee patella issues for almost 10 years which makes it extremely painful when it returns and I have a feeling my physio just doesn't get the full extent of my injuries. She's prescribed me doing a lot of leg weights as I have a muscle imbalance but honestly it hasn't done anything at all after almost 6 months of daily workouts (okay maybe a bit better and less flare ups but still very much present). I do have a very rigid back in the section you have outlined in your article. I even mentioned to my physio about back pain/stiffness but it was seen as a seperate issue. I will definitely add some back mobility exercises into the equation as well. Is it okay if I can show this article to my physio next time I meet her?

It just developed and got progressively worse over the space of about 3-6 months. I think mostly caused by jumping.
Interesting. Not subject of this but i had dislocated kneecap and god knows what other damage when 21. Recovered after a while but many years later now pushing 50 i feel that sharp pain every now again like a needle into the joint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely great info. I have screwed up knee patella issues for almost 10 years which makes it extremely painful when it returns and I have a feeling my physio just doesn't get the full extent of my injuries. She's prescribed me doing a lot of leg weights as I have a muscle imbalance but honestly it hasn't done anything at all after almost 6 months of daily workouts (okay maybe a bit better and less flare ups but still very much present). I do have a very rigid back in the section you have outlined in your article. I even mentioned to my physio about back pain/stiffness but it was seen as a seperate issue. I will definitely add some back mobility exercises into the equation as well. Is it okay if I can show this article to my physio next time I meet her?
Of course mate, if you're thinking it's the patella tendon and this helps feel free to let me know. Follow us on social media if it's easier and PM me here or there!

I couldn't see a Jaeger specific thread but if ive missed something obvious please shift this post.

I've posted this on our Hawks Jaeger thread already but hopefully everyone's ok with me re-hashing it here.

Out in the real world I'm a Physio. I've been thinking for a while about doing a piece on Jaeger's knee particularly because his issues squarely frame something I've been finding a lot clinically with my patients.

As a bit of background, I'm really interested in getting to the bottom of why things are the way they are. My job allows me to peek behind the curtain of all sorts of athletes and pick up on patterns that lead to certain injuries and dysfunction. And with that I think I've been able to uncover some things the medical industry as a whole aren't quite aware of - AFL medicos included - in regards to what Jaeger's gone through pre-rupture. I think it may have some really important ramifications going forward in a broader sense.

I mentioned on our board that I know all this can sound a bit egotistical, but if you're interested have a read of my poorly cobbled together ramblings and feel free to share it around.

I'm keen to get this out there into the world but figured I'd post it here to get a sense of what the masses think - beyond my felow Hawks supporters.

I mention it at the end, but I see these issues far too often for them not to be viable and I'd love the Hawks to get wind of it. But in the much more likely event they don't - I hope that it might help those dealing with the issue.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.peninsulaphysio.com.au/blog/jaeger-omeara-patella-tendonopathy/

Go Hawks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Someone has been listening very closely to their content marketer.

The 2016 pick 10 you gave the Gold Coast they used on Jack Bowes.

Bowes has played 7 to date.

Great article by the way Sven!
Not a fair comparison as Bowes was an academy player and was always going to be taken by us

Absolutely great info. I have screwed up knee patella issues for almost 10 years which makes it extremely painful when it returns and I have a feeling my physio just doesn't get the full extent of my injuries. She's prescribed me doing a lot of leg weights as I have a muscle imbalance but honestly it hasn't done anything at all after almost 6 months of daily workouts (okay maybe a bit better and less flare ups but still very much present).

95% of physios their solution to knee issues of ANY kind is essentially "you need to do more leg weights". Same issues for me and i also have a bad back so quite interesting.

Burgoyne had/has the same knee issues. While he was never the midfield jet he was in 06/07 he did spend 2 yeara getting over it. Im happy wrapping Omeara in wool and focusing on getting him rigjt for the next 7 years

Funny how the same club has 4 top line players with chronic injuries that the players need a couple of years to get over (Swallow, Omeara, Ablett and Bennell).

While i can see the OPs point, i frankly don't believe the s**t that comes out of the GC medical rooms. Their track record is dogshit.

Funny how the same club has 4 top line players with chronic injuries that the players need a couple of years to get over (Swallow, Omeara, Ablett and Bennell).

While i can see the OPs point, i frankly don't believe the s**t that comes out of the GC medical rooms. Their track record is dogshit.
The conditioning staff were cleaned out after 2015, probably not a coincidence

Forget all the naysayers Sven, even if you don't have JOM's issue licked, it will be very interesting to see how SizeMatters and others find their problems after refocusing a bit of attention on the lower back.

I do love that you came to this conclusion by being a bit of an instagram creep*. :D

*if we forget your expertise for a second.

Hey OP I've been having knee pain for about 2-3 months now but it only really hurts doing squats or dead lifts so the sort of bending the knee and putting weight on legs motion.

Have been able to run fine during that time.

Also prior to that I was doing heavy leg weights once a week (squats, leg press, stiff legged deadlifts)

I had Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was a teenager but haven't had anything in about 10 years with pain from that area in my leg.

I was thinking maybe it flared up again? I went to the doctor and he did the movements for ligament/cartilage damage and nothing so not sure what is.

What do you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back