Is Alex Rance the best defender in the game today? Is he the best full-back of all-time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So accurate, it needs repeating!

The media are sycophants ... throw a dog a bone and suddenly you've got unconditional love.

Now I don't like Rance at all. Which is somewhat attributable to the over the top accolades he receives. Now I can happily admit that he is a very good player. He towelled up my mob. And was terrific yesterday too. So objectively it is easy to say he is a gun player. But let's not pretend he is infallible - I've seen him beaten by kids, the jack watts incident was poor, his diving and flopping is an indictment on his footballing character yet you will only hear how he is light years ahead of any defender. Which is crap. Rance may or may not be top of the tree as far as best in the league, but talia, lever, Hurley, docherty, McGovern all have legitimate claims this year as being defensive top dog. But you wouldn't know it if you listen to the meeja
McGovern-the media salivate over him, talia is always appreciated. Hurley gets plenty of attention from the media. All good players but not in Rance's class. Just because the media talk him up doesn't mean you have to turn on him. Of course he isn't infallible-I don't know a player without flaws but he isn't a flopper and this stuff about indictments on his character-just silly. A very good footballer why not try to enjoy his game.

Rance has become a great full back because of how much of the ball the Richmond defence see

More spoont from the bleachers. Richmond's conceded about the same number of I50's as the other sides in the eight (but fewer than Geelong).

Come back with some facts.

Before this article I don't know anyone who would of ever entertained rance was better than SOS, Scarlett, or even fletcher or Lake.

He's the best of right now, not sure how he could be in this conversation when all the others mentioned have multiple big game performances, premierships etc.

Also way less dominant forwards now, so what metric is this based on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alternative Rance take:

No doubt the guy is a freak. Best around right now and an all time great.

But I don't love the way Richmond use him which is putting him on a bad tall and them letting him run his own zone defending. It works great for him which then means it works at least pretty well for the team but maybe not as amazingly as the Tigers think at times. Yeah Rance is so often spoiling and intercepting because they rely on him to do that and it all feeds back in to that situation again.

I'd rather the Tigers get a bit more sophisticated with their defending and encourage other defenders to intercept and rebound and stop the ball even getting to a contest involving Rance as frequently as it does now.

First Rance thread you've been in?

Richmond were 6th for most I50s conceded last year playing 22 games, so effectively 4th taking out GWS and Sydney.
So no one?
Thats something that was said last year, because it was true.
This year any Richmond supporter knows Astubry has been fantastic aswell. So I really dont know who would be saying Rance does it by himself.

Richmond fan. Last 30 years.

By my count that's 9 finals, or 'as many as Freo since 2012'.

0/3 since Rance has been in. But he's better than SOS, Scarlett etc. Better than Jakovich who kept Carey to 2 goals in 3 finals, too. #goat
They must have changed those 3 finals to 1 on 1 games. I swear there was 22 players for each team. Eh who knows.

First Rance thread you've been in?

Richmond were 6th for most I50s conceded last year playing 22 games, so effectively 4th taking out GWS and Sydney.

And 15th, 11th, 14th, 16th in the years before that. But apparently he became great through weight of numbers.

I'd rather the Tigers get a bit more sophisticated with their defending and encourage other defenders to intercept and rebound and stop the ball even getting to a contest involving Rance as frequently as it does now.

So would I.

When we get tired and the opposition constantly breaks through the press, is usually when Rance is called upon to do the Superman thing.

Sydney won in the end but if they'd left Franklin down there, they may have won a bit easier, it could have dulled Rance's influence in that last quarter when he didn't have Buddy to worry about.

He's probably the best key defender going around at the moment, hard to compare him to other names thrown up because of the way the game is played now. I'd still prefer a Scarlett or Lake type. My current favourite defender and probably favourite player in the league is Steven May.

Scarlett I hear you. He was a fantastic KPD and Rance imo has not yet reached Scarlett's level. He may get there by the end of his career but not there yet.

Lake - nah he has him well and truly covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back