Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall WB fans saying that he was tried as a backman when he was with them but it failed.
He also was known for playing well in the VFL but not being able to translate that to AFL standards.
Maybe it is that 'talls' just take longer to mature into AFL. Whatever it is, Jones has found it.
I think it was more along the lines of during a game he was moved back and it didn't work rather than spending 6 weeks training with the backs, playing 2s and then given a run as a defender in the 1s. Understanding structure is so important. Lynch beat Jones about 4 times on the weekend but team mates were there to back him up.

We should all be happy and maybe even just a little proud that the graveyard the VFL has been in recent years, is now a platform to a future.

It used to be that the 2nds existed for poor performing senior players.

Now the firsts exist for top-performing reserves players! :)

OK, overselling it, but definitely a major improvement in the symbiosis of the two.

I've said it before, I think that taking Jones to Halls Creek with Walks and sps helped him feel that the club was willing to invest in him even though he may not get a shot at seniors again.
Remember that trip happened when Rowe and Asos were in form and seemingly had the kpd spots sewn up.
We also had willo, plowman and marchbank in the other spots.
He just committed himself to give it his all, as he had the club's support.
Well done the beast and the club!!!

The resurrection of Jones could be complete after this weekend.

Patton - Jones would have been forgiven (lambasted ), if nerves got the better of him. Returning to play against a more than capable forward, in a premiership contending side, was a big ask. Despite Patton being a no frills (lack of sideways movement and repeat leads), straight leading forward, Jones backed himself countless times. Actually made me smile

Lynch - With conditions not being favourable for KPF's, Lynch has way more athleticism, than Patton and Liam would have been aware of this. Jones continued to attack the ball, at its highest point, whether that be marking or spoiling. His body work was exceptional, played on the edge, which caused a couple of frees against, but did not ultimately hurt the side.

Riewoldt? - A different proposition again. He is more agile and has more tricks to his game than the 2 previous. If Liam gets on top early, Riewoldt will get frustrated and will start to give up on the contest, if he fails to mark the ball. I am backing Jones to take another scalp.

What is actually even more impressive, than his marking contests, is his composure and decision making when disposing of the ball.

I honestly reckon the decision to put him back was purely based off giving Kerr & Harry space in the forward line so they could develop, LJ needed to play somewhere so threw him back.. the rest is history.
Nail head bang! Spot on they also have Jaksch to fit in as well . So they probably thought Jones was the obvious player to move elsewhere given development of these players . Nice surprise tho the way its turned out so far .

Nail head bang! Spot on they also have Jaksch to fit in as well . So they probably thought Jones was the obvious player to move elsewhere given development of these players . Nice surprise tho the way its turned out so far .
That decision has likely earned Jones a new contract worth over 1.2 mill over 3 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That decision has likely earned Jones a new contract worth over 1.2 mill over 3 years

I would be shocked if we offered him a 3 year deal, anything more than a 12 month extension would be obscene, perhaps throw in a trigger for an extension. The boy has done well, but lets put it in context he has been on our list for 3 seasons and has played 2 AFL worthy games.

I would be shocked if we offered him a 3 year deal, anything more than a 12 month extension would be obscene, perhaps throw in a trigger for an extension. The boy has done well, but lets put it in context he has been on our list for 3 seasons and has played 2 AFL worthy games.
I think he was good last year too
And a one year contract?
I'm sure somebody else would offer four!
Think what saints paid to get Carlisle and he's pretty crap with a questionable character to boot.
Jones is an absolute bargain imo

I think he was good last year too
And a one year contract?
I'm sure somebody else would offer four!
Think what saints paid to get Carlisle and he's pretty crap with a questionable character to boot.
Jones is an absolute bargain imo

99% of all Carlton fans had LJ delisted if his contract had expired at the end of 2016, he was woeful last year.. Now he is playing a different position so that must be taken into consideration that he is a completely different footballer than 2014 -16 however he currently as it stands has 2 good games to his Carlton career and you think we need to offer him a 4 year deal.. If another club wants to pay overs to him we need to remember the long game and we currently have Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Mcreadie already as key defenders so if someone right now offered us a 2nd round pick for LJ i would be snapping it up.

Yeah I'm the 1% that knew he needed a chance
I'd seen him play before he came. He certainly did lose his way and so many have in our systems as they were.
Jones playing great footy didn't surprise me. The level he's playing at surprises me.
Have you seen his field kicking.? He's hitting those targets like Cupid! Glorious to watch!
His ground skills and athletic ability aren't a surprise.. Perhaps his sudden repeat efforts were not expected but when he was tested for explosiveness and fast twitch muscle makeup.
Very few could match him and it shows.
I'm expecting him to drop some games but I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Jones!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back