Unofficial Preview Round 14 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Last year is over. This year, it looks like he's turning his attitude & preperation around. He's had a solid block of performance & deserves a call up for it at some point. That's what matters to us, not how he played at another club, in another state, under another structure, with different players & different coaches...

Perhaps he got complacent a year or two ago... But if he fails here that could be it for him in terms of playing at the top level again. Stakes are high so his response has been pleasing but not unexpected. We saw the same with Marty, Shawry, Ted, Morton etc etc

Merv Neagle.....

My concern isn't necessarily with their mids (Jobe & Goddard aren't exactly setting the world on fire atm IMO)... But their Fwd line. Their speed and pressure is huge in their fwd 50. Mills, Smith & Grundy aren't exactly quick & I'm just slightly concerned Walla/Greene/Fanta could have a day out. I guess a good arguement for keeping Gaz back there again this week (despite my thought his best position is on the wing).
not that it matters ultimately, but FYI you're underestimating how good Goddard has been.

Goddard is averaging 27 disposals per game (second only to Zach Merrett at the Club) and is distributing the ball at an excellent efficiency rating of 83 per cent.

The 32 year old is also ranked in the top five for clearances and contested possessions at the Bombers.

Watson has been more than serviceable too over the last month

What's Essendon's main avenue to goal this year? Are they a counter attack team or... what?

Fast breaks through the middle and off HB with quick movement into their forward line

not that it matters ultimately, but FYI you're underestimating how good Goddard has been.

Watson has been more than serviceable too over the last month
Most certainly wasn't "writing them off". In my mind both have torn us up in the past & could again do so if they are "on". However, against what seems to be (finally) a firing midfield of JPK, Parker & Hanners I'd back our boys in over those two based on recent form.

Merrett is the one I'd say has been solidly outperforming all of them though. He is a gun & one we need to try to keep quiet.

Most certainly wasn't "writing them off". In my mind both have torn us up in the past & could again do so if they are "on". However, against what seems to be (finally) a firing midfield of JPK, Parker & Hanners I'd back our boys in over those two based on recent form.

Merrett is the one I'd say has been solidly outperforming all of them though. He is a gun & one we need to try to keep quiet.
yeah no problems with that, you have every reason to back you boys. All very good players.

The one who has been inexplicably slipping through opposition supporters expectations is Heppell. He was outstanding last game and has been very consistent, including some ripper games. Zaharakis, too, on a wing has hit a purple patch and if you let him get away on the outside he'll probably do a fair bit of damage.

You're right that Zach is the real danger man, but we have been giving Fanta and Walla a few tastes in the middle, and there has been a fair bit of expectation that after the bye McGrath will see some time through there as well, so we can certainly compensate for the relative lack of foot speed by the likes of Watson, Goddard, Myers and Heppell. Not to mention McKenna (who has been an absolute revelation and one I've had to meekly apologise to) and Pigeon if he is playing half-back, running it through in waves.

Having said all that though you could be forgiven for thinking I'm up and about and super confident. Not so. I respect Sydney a lot, and the team has clearly gotten into gear for the year and has the runs on the board.

Some have bemoaned that the SCG might not work for us, but I tend to disagree. You can punish a turnover a lot more effectively on the smaller ground, and that's our jam. If we can replicate our form of two weeks ago and slice through half back and the midfield with crisp handball chains and releasing run, and race the ball down the corridor to the three big guys in Daniher, Hooker and Stewart then it could be a heck of a contest, and I'm much happier it's there than at ANZ stadium.

Sydney will really feel the loss of Jones unfortunately, I believe, and whilst I wish Edwards well - and think he could well turn it on first game back if he's picked - the best chance the Swannies have is to lock us down and really try to dominate us in the clearances. Our forward 50s have generally been in the negative and our efficiency has been the difference, but a 4 quarter pressure effort makes it tough for us, a la Richmond. However, Port didn't play badly the other week, they just copped what we did when we ran into Adelaide in the first month in red hot form.

As ever, Buddy is the wildcard and everyone knows how Buddy usually treats Essendon. Let's just say, he doesn't generally make us breakfast afterwards. But Hurley is in AA form and even if he doesn't take the big guy he generates the turnovers, and no Tippett doesn't hurt our structure.

Absolutely can't wait and the fact it's a Friday night game (finally!) makes it all the sweeter. Getting real toey already

Last edited:
What's Essendon's main avenue to goal this year? Are they a counter attack team or... what?
Generally we try to halve clearances with pressure around the ball and counter from there. We scored 100 points from turnovers vs Port

While Jones has been in great form Papley has been used in the middle recently to great effect. Jack also has it in him to go through the middle, the lose of Jones' leg speed wont be too damaging. We should be able to make up for him with the cattle we have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah no problems with that, you have every reason to back you boys. All very good players.

The one who has been inexplicably slipping through opposition supporters expectations is Heppell. He was outstanding last game and has been very consistent, including some ripper games. Zaharakis, too, on a wing has hit a purple patch and if you let him get away on the outside he'll probably do a fair bit of damage.

You're right that Zach is the real danger man, but we have been giving Fanta and Walla a few tastes in the middle, and there has been a fair bit of expectation that after the bye McGrath will see some time through there as well, so we can certainly compensate for the relative lack of foot speed by the likes of Watson, Goddard, Myers and Heppell. Not to mention McKenna (who has been an absolute revelation and one I've had to meekly apologise to) and Pigeon if he is playing half-back, running it through in waves.

Having said all that though you could be forgiven for thinking I'm up and about and super confident. Not so. I respect Sydney a lot, and the team has clearly gotten into gear for the year and has the runs on the board.

Some have bemoaned that the SCG might not work for us, but I tend to disagree. You can punish a turnover a lot more effectively on the smaller ground, and that's our jam. If we can replicate our form of two weeks ago and slice through half back and the midfield with crisp handball chains and releasing run, and race the ball down the corridor to the three big guys in Daniher, Hooker and Stewart then it could be a heck of a contest, and I'm much happier it's there than at ANZ stadium.

Sydney will really feel the loss of Jones unfortunately, I believe, and whilst I wish Edwards well - and think he could well turn it on first game back if he's picked - the best chance the Swannies have is to lock us down and really try to dominate us in the clearances. Our forward 50s have generally been in the negative and our efficiency has been the difference, but a 4 quarter pressure effort makes it tough for us, a la Richmond. However, Port didn't play badly the other week, they just copped what we did when we ran into Adelaide in the first month in red hot form.

As ever, Buddy is the wildcard and everyone knows how Buddy usually treats Essendon. Let's just say, he doesn't generally make us breakfast afterwards. But Hurley is in AA form and even if he doesn't take the big guy he generates the turnovers, and no Tippett doesn't hurt our structure.

Absolutely can't wait and the fact it's a Friday night game (finally!) makes it all the sweeter. Getting real toey already
Great post. Thanks mate.

Should be a cracker. Hopefully we come to play. I'm sure your boys will want it as fast & frantic as possible and we'll need to try control the tempo & absorb some pressure doing so.

Looking forward to it!

Finally got to watch last week.

How the hell we got in that position and then out of it is amazeballs. Love that zone and all.

Anyhoo good to see some of the engine room recall how to play footy.

Seems pretty logical Melican comes back in and they carry on. Side is winning, Melican was a part of that and he has match ups this week.

Roll on as is I guess unless poor old Deano gets another tap.

Good problems to have if Dawson, Robbo, Edwards etc are pushing for a call up.

Big test though this week. These guys won't roll over like that funny club last week.

Couple of interesting things out of that injury report. Aliir was talked up for his recent form. Also AJ was mentioned as having done a full block of training with McVeigh in Melbourne (in the context of Macca being available for selection).
#norush Brucey boy.

Melican for Jones the only change I rekon. Towers was better than his stats show, same for Rohan. Dawson has done enough but with every game crucial, you dont go messing with the formula too much. Florent maybe a sneaky in for Marsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back