2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he'd said it was "Mass-ten"?

The same way you pronounce Garry Lyon - Mass-port

masport-470_50ef8117e67ed.jpg

:straining:

Reality check - go back to 2016 and see how well Yeo did in the midfield. He admitted over the last summer that he was confused and unclear with the ambiguity of a midfield role.

Yeo looks to have found his niche as an attacking half back who can play on small or tall. He has genuine leg speed and is one of the few players who can get separation when rebounding out of defence. That speed is seen when he has the ball in front of him and less so when he has his back to the goal or in around heavily congested stoppages.

One of his elite attributes is the rebound marking. Again, this is not a high priority for a midfielder. Nice if they can take occasional marks but they Fyfe and Pendels are the exceptions. We have seen real benefits locking the ball in our 50 when he is man marking at the opposition kick in from points.

Yeo is not that good at centre clearances and rarely shows that burst of speed from bounce downs that he shows when he is attacking off the HBF. So why would you want to bring back 2016 Yeo?
I think he's still learning and improving. The first 10 games this year have given him a massive confidence boost, and this is reflected in more consistency when thrown into the middle or up forward. Kicked 3 against GC when we needed goals, and played a very solid game through the midfield on Danger last Thursday, marred by lack of composure when streaming forward, that will come with more exposure (and he really was bursting from centre clearances at times).

He's still relatively young, I still think he'll continue to develop into an important utility for us. So let's not refer to 2016 form, it's about now, and we've seen him thrust into a number of roles in recent weeks where he has performed well and helped us adapt to opposition teams.

So would you pick.up banfield this year? Has he improved?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
This year he made the jump from colts to WAFL and is more than holding his own. He is a genuine mid who gets 25 to 30 possessions consistently each game and usually does something with those possessions. In terms of drafting this year - you could do a lot worse and he is closer to playing AFL than Gorter. He is a rookie selection and would be on a par with Partington as far as AFL ready. He would need to build his body a bit as it is WAFL ready but not quite AFL ready, but that is typical of most 1st year players.

Banfield is in the same cohort as Venables/Rotham and was a colt in 2016 who after the carnival, played a few games in the Ressies and then a couple of League games. He does most thing s pretty well and nothing badly. A few of us have liked him and expected him to be taken as a rookie last year. So yes, I would take him as a rookie in 2017. Best description of him is that he is a blue collar inside midfielder. Something that we are not overly blessed with.

This year he made the jump from colts to WAFL and is more than holding his own. He is a genuine mid who gets 25 to 30 possessions consistently each game and usually does something with those possessions. In terms of drafting this year - you could do a lot worse and he is closer to playing AFL than Gorter. He is a rookie selection and would be on a par with Partington as far as AFL ready. He would need to build his body a bit as it is WAFL ready but not quite AFL ready, but that is typical of most 1st year players.

Banfield is in the same cohort as Venables/Rotham and was a colt in 2016 who after the carnival, played a few games in the Ressies and then a couple of League games. He does most thing s pretty well and nothing badly. A few of us have liked him and expected him to be taken as a rookie last year. So yes, I would take him as a rookie in 2017. Best description of him is that he is a blue collar inside midfielder. Something that we are not overly blessed with.
Thanks mate,I was hoping him and Ryan would be picked up as rookies last year.the gorter pick shocked me and I hated the Petrie pick but he has done well when on the park

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hows his skills, pace and versatility?

Hows his skills, pace and versatility?
Nothing wrong at all. He is not elite - a blue collar midfielder. I could see him coming in as an extractor once he gets a little more bulk.

In the context of needing an inside mid to replace Priddis, compared to Matt, Bailey is faster by foot, more damaging kick, not quite the handball skill and a much better mark. He is not as good in the tackling department but compared to a veteran, which 1st years are? He read the play pretty well, his roving to Goddard as a colt was pretty good (Goddard was pretty dominant in 2016 colts) and he hits the contest with more pace than either Hutchings or Masten. SO my comparisons of him are at a low benchmark to grade but relevant. Claremont have a pretty good midfield and he holds his own which is pretty good for a 19 year old.

With the new pay deal our 2017 salary cap just went up by 20% and unlike most other clubs we reportedly didn't include a clause in our contracts to automatically apply the CBA increase

This sounds like pretty good management to me and Vozzo deserves a tick for it and perhaps gives some light on reports our salary cap was tight at the end of last year.

Gives us some money to throw at potential recruits as well as having something up our sleeve to encourage Nelson and Sheed to ink new deals as the priority signings among players coming out of contract this year

Hopefully we get in Venables ear and get him to extend his contract beyond 2018

Anyone hear SEN? Apparently us, Adelaide and Essendon have set up our contracts so that we get a decent amount of room when the increase comes, while other clubs have contracts that already cover the increase.

I didn't hear it myself only heard from a friend that it was something along these lines. Was just looking for more info about it if anyone has any.

This plus the downgraded contracts of EMac Prid and Lecca. Would give us a nice amount of room to resign some of our young guns. Maybe we are making a play at someone big?

That extra cap room is great but which big name targets are actually likely to be attracted to us by a big pot of money? Can't see Fyfe or Dusty crossing over. If we're going to use it to give Johannisen the $800k he's reportedly asking for then i think that's a waste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone hear SEN? Apparently us, Adelaide and Essendon have set up our contracts so that we get a decent amount of room when the increase comes, while other clubs have contracts that already cover the increase.

I didn't hear it myself only heard from a friend that it was something along these lines. Was just looking for more info about it if anyone has any.

This plus the downgraded contracts of EMac Prid and Lecca. Maybe we are making a play at someone big? Or just opening up the cap to sign Lecca and EMac on long term deals :p

Http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/21/afl-trade-rumours-cbas-done-now-time-get-real/

Some players had ‘uplift clauses’ in their current contracts that will see them automatically get the 20 per cent pay rise, but not all do, and it has been said on Footy Classified that Adelaide and West Coast in particular have not included them in any of their contracts.

That extra cap room is great but which big name targets are actually likely to be attracted to us by a big pot of money? Can't see Fyfe or Dusty crossing over. If we're going to use it to give Johannisen the $800k he's reportedly asking for then i think that's a waste.
Renegotiate some contracts to bring payments forward. Only pay up to 95% of the cap so we can bank the deficit for later. Use the space to do some list management by delisting and paying out a contracted player who might be surplus to requirements (Giles for example - I'd rather play Petrie for another year based on 2017 performance)

Whichever way you look at it though by not putting the uplift on our contracts without losing any players has given us a flexibility other clubs don't have. Vozzo cops it on here but he deserves some credit for this

This plus the downgraded contracts of EMac Prid and Lecca. Would give us a nice amount of room to resign some of our young guns. Maybe we are making a play at someone big?

Further to Keys above
You can download the podcast, but essentially the three clubs mentioned have a larger majority of players on contracts that did not make a provision for the CBA, i.e. we have more money to play with. The majority of others clubs players are getting an increase of 20% immediately as they had conditions in their contracts, and hence have already "spent" the 20% increase.

With a 20% increase and no contract clauses forcing us to use it on other players, trading/retiring/lowering contracts of Mitchell, Mackenzie, Lecras, Priddis, Butler, Masten etc. we must have between 2.5-3 mil spare lying around, cannot waste this opportunity to land a quality mid.

Wasn't aware that the new CBA meant that contracted players can't leave.

As far as I'm aware it didn't make it any easier for players to break their contracts. Look at how Gibbs did getting to Adelaide last year, and how McCarthy had to sit out a full season before the Giants would let him go.

Also the fact Duncan signed a few months ago suggests he's pretty happy where he is.

As far as I'm aware it didn't make it any easier for players to break their contracts. Look at how Gibbs did getting to Adelaide last year, and how McCarthy had to sit out a full season before the Giants would let him go.

Also the fact Duncan signed a few months ago suggests he's pretty happy where he is.

He is a good player though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back