BFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say what you will about south, at least they are having a crack. Miles ahead of where they were last 2 seasons, so maybe cut them some slack. Yeah maybe they were a bit naive with the whole last to first thing but kudos for getting of the bottom rung of the ladder. Gotta agree there hey slammer?

Say what you will about south, at least they are having a crack. Miles ahead of where they were last 2 seasons, so maybe cut them some slack. Yeah maybe they were a bit naive with the whole last to first thing but kudos for getting of the bottom rung of the ladder. Gotta agree there hey slammer?
Well said.
It was only a year or so ago they were on the receiving of some quite ugly losses, they're a helluva lot more competitive this year even if they haven't reached the heights that some touted.
If nothing else it's something to build on going forward.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Well said.
It was only a year or so ago they were on the receiving of some quite ugly losses, they're a helluva lot more competitive this year even if they haven't reached the heights that some touted.
If nothing else it's something to build on going forward.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I agree good on them for trying. But apart from lynch the rest would have to take pay cuts next year because they haven't performed. Will fev stay as non playing coach? Will Morrison keep putting in the money? If he's happy to keep tipping in I think the lessons learned from this year could hold them in good stead going forward. Just because you've played at a higher level doesn't mean your going to star in this league. If he stops the funding where do they end up? They need someone advising him that knows the league and what players real value are. Has anyone heard who the two teams are that the league are going to investigate?

I will start to give them some peace. I have one more thing to say about their situation.
Saying they are more competitive is not what they should hang their hat on. If you think the committee, coaching staff, local players, supporters and more importantly the blokes putting in the money are happy with just being more competitive, then you have no idea.
There are many ways to improve, and many of them take lots of time and effort, they have done it the worst way possible.
I compare their situation to the Marsh, the Marsh had patience, saved up a bit of money, signed a great coach (not a train wreck), and selected recruits that care about the club and will hang around for the long haul. We know how that ended up for them.

I will start to give them some peace. I have one more thing to say about their situation.
Saying they are more competitive is not what they should hang their hat on. If you think the committee, coaching staff, local players, supporters and more importantly the blokes putting in the money are happy with just being more competitive, then you have no idea.
There are many ways to improve, and many of them take lots of time and effort, they have done it the worst way possible.
I compare their situation to the Marsh, the Marsh had patience, saved up a bit of money, signed a great coach (not a train wreck), and selected recruits that care about the club and will hang around for the long haul. We know how that ended up for them.
Except nobody said that, no club is happy with simply making up the numbers.
You won't hear any argument from me re: the Marsh.
They're a well run club who have a good mix of homegrowns with some quality recruits sprinkled in.

Except nobody said that, no club is happy with simply making up the numbers.
You won't hear any argument from me re: the Marsh.
They're a well run club who have a good mix of homegrowns with some quality recruits sprinkled in.

I'm going to give a little bit both ways here. Alabama is correct as Patty talked a big game and so did South. This was probably a tactic to get some buzz and belief but its disappointing to see the very vocal Patty has not be heard or seen for awhile on here. South are going OK and we all expect them to explode at some stage. If they don't, I actually think they have done well as they are a lot closer than they were and won more games than they did last year. If they keep list, kids get a little older and they recruit 2-3 more then they will improve again. In saying that they have some journeymen and recruited blokes who seemed to have issues at previous clubs. Bacchus also had a few like this last year (and in past) and still won flag. It took the Marsh a number of years to get the mix right. Only 2 teams (Sunbury and Redan) have been able to have success year after year when you look back over the last 15 or so years. So in a nutshell, if they don't explode then its a success, as they must have some good characters to be able to cope with the pressure that they have put on themselves. In saying that pretty sure they will.

More than one way to try and rebuild. South and Sebas have been terrible and last year Sebas tried a marquee player in Goodes and playing locals. You lambasted them as irrelevant, and maybe they are, but they are trying.

South took a different approach, multiple marquee players on big dollars with the hope of reinvigorating a club that was on it's knees. Both clubs would have been excited about their prospects with positive change, and the clubs are what country footy is about.

Paddy D was certainly an 'agent provocateur' early doors .... but you seem to revel in maintaining the hierarchy of clubs and mocking those who try to improve and fail.

Last edited:
More than one way to try and rebuild. South and Sebas have been terrible and last year Sebas tried a marquee player in Goodes and playing locals. You lambasted them as irrelevant, and maybe they are, but they are trying.

South took a different approach, multiple marquee players on big dollars with the hope of reinvigorating a club that was on it's knees. Paddy D was certainly an 'agent provocateur' early doors .... but you seem to revel in maintaining the hierarchy of clubs and mocking those who try to improve and fail.
I have no problem with Sebas, but if I recall it was publicised like Goodes was the biggest signing in the history of the league. One player wasn't going to win them more games. Brett Goodes has/will be a great role model for the Kookaburras, I would much prefer him in that regard than Fev.
Not sure of Sebas's plan for the future, but I'd be learning a lot from what South done.

I have no problem with Sebas, but if I recall it was publicised like Goodes was the biggest signing in the history of the league. One player wasn't going to win them more games. Brett Goodes has/will be a great role model for the Kookaburras, I would much prefer him in that regard than Fev.
Not sure of Sebas's plan for the future, but I'd be learning a lot from what South done.

So when you were president of a club that was a perennial battler what approach did you take to turn it around?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when you were president of a club that was a perennial battler what approach did you take to turn it around?
When I was president I got locals like Banner and Notman back and made sure all the locals kids who played and held the club up for a couple of years were looked after. I didn't go and sell the clubs soul to blokes who don't care about the place one bit. Fev would have not entered my mind. Sign a coach who isn't into quick fixes and has not only coached before but has done all of the courses. Maybe who is still able to play at a high level. Must have a lot of contacts and links to proven young to middle twenties good guys, not mercenaries.
Keep that core group together for a few years and improvement is bound to happen. Then go spend some money on a couple of top end talent in the areas you need, not just big name ex AFL players. There are much cheaper and better options out there.
The way Paddy D was selling South was like they would have crowds of 5,000 every game to watch them and have truckloads of cash rolling in. Took two weeks to realise that wasn't going to happen. Anything they make this year will be spent this year. I doubt they will have money to get more next year, unless someone else decides to tip money in. Also have the issue of Kommer and Lynch wanting to get out of there.

When I was president I got locals like Banner and Notman back and made sure all the locals kids who played and held the club up for a couple of years were looked after. I didn't go and sell the clubs soul to blokes who don't care about the place one bit. Fev would have not entered my mind. Sign a coach who isn't into quick fixes and has not only coached before but has done all of the courses. Maybe who is still able to play at a high level. Must have a lot of contacts and links to proven young to middle twenties good guys, not mercenaries.
Keep that core group together for a few years and improvement is bound to happen. Then go spend some money on a couple of top end talent in the areas you need, not just big name ex AFL players. There are much cheaper and better options out there.
The way Paddy D was selling South was like they would have crowds of 5,000 every game to watch them and have truckloads of cash rolling in. Took two weeks to realise that wasn't going to happen. Anything they make this year will be spent this year. I doubt they will have money to get more next year, unless someone else decides to tip money in. Also have the issue of Kommer and Lynch wanting to get out of there.
Ahh ... now I think I understand the issue you have with them. Fair enough.

when did lynchy and Kommer tell you this

Last edited:
They had a great coach with all those qualities, except the playing part, who had a great culture who would have brought the players to the club who actually wanted to be there for the right reasons, but was obviously shafted by the current custodians to make way for the unproven odd couple who are very quickly becoming unpopular by the sound of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back