Afghanistan and Ireland gain test status

They don't want to overwork the players. And if a purpose of warm ups is to get used to the conditions then Essex is a lot more English than Ireland.
They played three tour games last time in England. Two tests against Ireland, even if they go the distance, is only one day more of cricket.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
They'd also have to play the players more for Test matches which seems like a tightass reason they'd use to not do it.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
They don't want to overwork the players. And if a purpose of warm ups is to get used to the conditions then Essex is a lot more English than Ireland.

On the other hand they practiced for India in the UAE.

Irish conditions aren't for off English conditions at all.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Bangladesh is better. Maybe Afghanistan, as I rate their attack very highly.

Bangladesh at home beat England. They will beat Australia this year too.

On all available evidence what makes you think they'd win in the West Indies? If Gabriel doesn't play 'that' shot, they've drawn twice in two years with sides who've been ranked #1 during that period.

Bangladesh at home beat England. They will beat Australia this year too.

On all available evidence what makes you think they'd win in the West Indies? If Gabriel doesn't play 'that' shot, they've drawn twice in two years with sides who've been ranked #1 during that period.
Using the "at home" metric is stupid. West Indies would lose 3-0 in Bangladesh, Bangladesh would probably get a draw in the West Indies.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The West Indies haven't won a series since 2014 and have won a whopping 3 test matches since then.

2 of which came in the space of a few series and came against an opponent who were ranked number one in the world 6 months ago.

I don't understand how difficult it is to recognise that they've made a fair few sweeping changes that have already paid good dividends. And that's with their best batsman still to return. Bangladesh have had the same side for six years and, as much as they've improved, it's taken them a hell of a long time to do it.
The West Indies have one player over 28.

2 of which came in the space of a few series and came against an opponent who were ranked number one in the world 6 months ago.

I don't understand how difficult it is to recognise that they've made a fair few sweeping changes that have already paid good dividends. And that's with their best batsman still to return. Bangladesh have had the same side for six years and, as much as they've improved, it's taken them a hell of a long time to do it.
The West Indies have one player over 28.
Look, I know you're a West Indies fan but Bangladesh have been better recently and are probably the better side. When Australia tour the West Indies do you expect them to even win a test?

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great.

2 more teams we'll never play in Test cricket.
Sadly true, especially with test cricket becoming segregated. Which takes away from test cricket being the pinnacle.
Afghanistan and Irel;and absolutely should be Test nations, on par with everyone else not just left playing West Indies, Zimmers and Bangladesh.

On the positive side, New Zealand have room in the FTP to play them and Afghanistan could be a stern test wherever they play their home games (India or most likely UAE).

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On the other hand they practiced for India in the UAE.

Irish conditions aren't for off English conditions at all.
Irish conditions, depending on how the pitch was prepared, could be close to English conditions outside London. The difference is, they would be Test matches and we shopuld play a full first eleven. There is more scope to rest players, and play for match practice, in county games But all Test nations should be playing all Test nations, so we should play Ireland in (for now short) series - whether part of a tour including England or not.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Look, I know you're a West Indies fan but Bangladesh have been better recently and are probably the better side. When Australia tour the West Indies do you expect them to even win a test?

They still haven't won a test away from home against full strength opposition have they? Like I said, they're a tough prospect at home but they have literally proven nothing on the road. Based on the past 18 months I would give the windies an edge if they were to play 3 at home and 3 away.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For those interested this is the proposed Test and ODI leagues
264775.jpg

264776.jpg

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Excellent news for both countries, and for completely different reasons.

I hope the "big" test countries can set aside room in their calendars to stop feathering their own nests and do something to grow world cricket. As previously mentioned, playing 1, or even 2 tests in Ireland before an Ashes series would be such an easy thing for us to do, but would mean so much to Ireland; same deal with tours of India or Sri Lanka.

For those interested this is the proposed Test and ODI leagues
264775.jpg

264776.jpg

That Test schedule is a total mind* to me

Seems ridiculous to have a 4 year cycle and still not play everyone home and away. 16 series in 4 years? Easily viable!

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who is team 13?

At the moment, I guess it's whoever wins the World Cricket League
It should be that way, which if true will be Netherlands. But reading a bit further it's a bit confusing and it might be based off the top team with ODI statues with the Netherlands don't have.
DDABGPOWsAIR482.jpg

Here are the two tables. Right now Scotland and Netherlands seem like the best One day teams. Scotland just recently beating Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe at home and the Netherlands leading the WCL. If they go by ODI matches UAE would get it which would be an absolute disaster. With the ICC's HQ being in the UAE for tax reasons i wouldn't be surprised if they give it to them which like i said would be awful.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That Test schedule is a total mind**** to me

Seems ridiculous to have a 4 year cycle and still not play everyone home and away. 16 series in 4 years? Easily viable!
Agreed. The only reason i can think of is the BCCI and to a lesser extent CA and the ECB want more time for players to play in T20 leagues. They want more time to play IPL, BBL ect and probably see this as the chance to do that.

Agreed. The only reason i can think of is the BCCI and to a lesser extent CA and the ECB want more time for players to play in T20 leagues. They want more time to play IPL, BBL ect and probably see this as the chance to do that.

India pretty much has an endless summer anyway. They could fit all these Tests into their schedule, plus IPL, and still play less cricket than this season!

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
It should be that way, which if true will be Netherlands. But reading a bit further it's a bit confusing and it might be based off the top team with ODI statues with the Netherlands don't have. View attachment 384888
Here are the two tables. Right now Scotland and Netherlands seem like the best One day teams. Scotland just recently beating Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe at home and the Netherlands leading the WCL. If they go by ODI matches UAE would get it which would be an absolute disaster. With the ICC's HQ being in the UAE for tax reasons i wouldn't be surprised if they give it to them which like i said would be awful.

Nepal might be a chance because of potential market.

Back