Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

I'm not sure who look more depressed last year, Jetta or Sinclair

horse goes weak at the knees when he thinks about ruckmen. he should be banned from anything to do with recruiting them. even before we drafted cameron on the night there was a heated exchange between horse and the recruiting team and what do you know we ended up with another one. at worst we could of got a second round pick for jetta.

Your main board thread suggesting this is going well
Yes, what a hoot that was!

Actually, after the first five pages of utterly predictable, cliched responses, some decent discussion is starting to take place.

Some.

At the end of the day I have zero interest in any other football club so I'm always delighted when there's a thread on the MB talking about us. Love talking about us. "The Swans. What do you like most about us?" is always a great starting point for MB threads.

The play-on handball to Naismith after Mills outmarked Tippa was a bold move, I thought!

Especially surprised how well Naismith kicked and then bud a clean grab

But yeah was very bold took it on

Especially surprised how well Naismith kicked and then bud a clean grab

But yeah was very bold took it on
Watch it on slow motion, Bellchambers was about 10 metres from Naismith as he'd led for Daniher, in fact jpk had to go with him as Naismith couldn't. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he is too liable for a "chosen one" moment down back where he backs his skills and decision making (which are both really good) further than they should be backed and gives up a goal. He is good for one a game. I'd prefer him higher up so that he 1, has less consequences and 2, less time to try the perfect option. That way his instinct kicks in and he just makes good decisions.

He's a pretty special player though. Not many second year players with his courage. I bloody love it.

I keep thinking of Corey Enright with Mills. I do not think or expect Mills to rise to that level of player as Enright is one of the best HBFs ever, but he looked on his way to being a good midfielder in a good team before transitioning to defence to become a great defender in a great team. I think Mills may well do the same.

Mills still has a long way to go I feel, particularly with some of his disposals out of defence - he can make some pretty haphazard decisions - but I think he could end up one of our best as a mainstay in defence. We don't particularly need him in the midfield, why change at this point?

He was good today, but saying he has had a good month is simply not true

is one of the leading young players in terms of performing above expectation this year

Last month is averaging what, 18 possies, 7 marks 4 tackles goes at 80% with his disposal. Pretty damn good for a second year off half back

The thing I love about him the most (apart from his leadership, intercept marking and bravery) is that he isn't afraid of that 'trigger' kick. Just sets us up so nicely. Has the skills to execute it so keep on going Callum.

Goes into marking contests like Jonathan Brown used too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back