Afghanistan and Ireland gain test status

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the current dutch line-up like? Are the Cooper's in, and van der Gugten? Would RtD potentially come back to play if they were granted test status?

What's the current dutch line-up like? Are the Cooper's in, and van der Gugten? Would RtD potentially come back to play if they were granted test status?

I'd be completely against the Dutch getting test status or making this ODI league to be honest.

I'm glad for Afghanistan and Ireland because they're drawing most their players domestically (as in actual Afghans and Irishmen - most the Irish team is now Irish born) and have worked on making their own domestic competition.

The Dutch side is all South Africans and Australians with Dutch grandmothers. UAE is Pakistani and Indian expats.

Expats are fine and all but for a team to have any chance of making the next level players have to be drawn from domestic competitions.

This is great news for the teams involved, this should have happened much earlier but the current BCCI regime was particularly resistant to new teams joining in, they didn't even want to their involvement in the world cup.

but now having the newer teams play each other is very good, it means the here will be fewer mismatches now.

I'd be completely against the Dutch getting test status or making this ODI league to be honest.

I'm glad for Afghanistan and Ireland because they're drawing most their players domestically (as in actual Afghans and Irishmen - most the Irish team is now Irish born) and have worked on making their own domestic competition.

The Dutch side is all South Africans and Australians with Dutch grandmothers. UAE is Pakistani and Indian expats.

Expats are fine and all but for a team to have any chance of making the next level players have to be drawn from domestic competitions.
I see your point. If RtD came out of retirement they'd be decent batting wise with Cooper, the Myburgh's, RtD and van der Merwe but their attack would be pop gun at best.

They'd also have to play the players more for Test matches which seems like a tightass reason they'd use to not do it.

We need to play more tests IMO, as many as England do.

We should have 7 tests a home summer. Or at least organize 2-3 in the winter months against the smaller nations like Ireland, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the windies

Btw I think this is fantastic news as we need to be expanding cricket world wide rather than having it as a closed off elitist thing where the main countries just feather their own nests.

Both new countries are way better than what Bangladesh were in 2000 and could easily become quite competitive soon with regular cricket.

Both are probably already ahead of Zimbabwe and close to or ahead of the windies (at least in ODIs, tests maybe slightly behind)

Nepal might be a chance because of potential market.
Maybe. Although if they were thinking like that, they might go Hong Kong because "China".
Hopefully its is on merit; whether by rankings, WPL, or maybe a playoff series between the two when not the same.

As for Nepal, by all means help them out, they have a strong following, which is translating into a T20 league; whether that can be brought across into longer formats is in question. As with all associates, getting more games (full day and multiday) is all-important but costly.

edit: How long will Afghanistan and Ireland keep playing the Intercontinental Cup. It might not be a bad idea for them (and Zimbabwe) to play if they can't get regular Tests. It gioves the next tier a chance to test themsleves, and nations in desparate need of multiday cricket getting at least one game every few months.

Last edited:
I hope the "big" test countries can set aside room in their calendars to stop feathering their own nests and do something to grow world cricket.

giphy.gif

Maybe. Although if they were thinking like that, they might go Hong Kong because "China".
Hopefully its is on merit; whether by rankings, WPL, or maybe a playoff series between the two when not the same.

As for Nepal, by all means help them out, they have a strong following, which is translating into a T20 league; whether that can be brought across into longer formats is in question. As with all associates, getting more games (full day and multiday) is all-important but costly.

edit: How long will Afghanistan and Ireland keep playing the Intercontinental Cup. It might not be a bad idea for them (and Zimbabwe) to play if they can't get regular Tests. It gioves the next tier a chance to test themsleves, and nations in desparate need of multiday cricket getting at least one game every few months.
They will likely finish out the Intercontinental Cup because teams can still be relegated from that so it wouldn't be fair for two teams to just leave. I have a feeling the ICC might make a another WCL from now til 2019 to get the team for the ODI league.

The Afghans dont have much to offer the test scene because its impossible for them to host home games..
No team is ever going to tour Afghanistan. Im told they play in Dubai just like Pakistan.

Yeah, reading what I'd said quoted by you nearly 24 hours after I'd posted it, of course it's fanciful and ridiculous!

:'(

Politically, I'd argue that we have a responsibility to give Afghanistan a hand up - but why do that if we can fit in another meaningless ODI series against India...

It's a shame the ICC is such a toothless organisation. (BTW, quality gif selection :D )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think UAE should get a bit of a pass, in 2013 the population of the country was 9.2 million with 7.8 million expats. But yeah, most of the top-tier associate teams are made up of drop-out domestic cricketers from test nations.

The Scots do alright in terms of producing quality local players. Healthy number around the mark of county first XI's including a very good crop of tall pacemen.
Yeah lots of young players coming through. Both Scotland and Netherlands have drafted Zimbabwe in the last month so it's good to see the divide between top associates and bottom full members going away. Netherlands have lots of home grown talent as well. Hopefully the likes of Peter Borren who's been around for ever for them get's more opportunity.

I can't see how more teams gaining test status is good for test cricket. It'll create a bigger imbalance.
More teams can be good for Test cricket, if they get regular games so they can improve. Splitting into divisons, whether officially or by simply ignoring the "lesser" nations, will kill the very idea of Test cricket being the pinnacle though.

I think it's fair to say we won't be seeing regular Tests for Australia vs the bottom four nations, and the West Indies are only hanging on for history's sake. But it will give more opportunities for the lesser nations to play larger numbers of matches, mainly against each other but so be it!

Nope. I disagree. In amongst all the other Cricket played. The other nations won't have a fair crack at it. You'll continue to have a 5 test Ashes series. But then a 2 test, maybe even 1, series against Afghanistan and Ireland.

Not really sure what you're whinging about. Most series these days are compressed down to two to three tests anyway.

Yeah lots of young players coming through. Both Scotland and Netherlands have drafted Zimbabwe in the last month so it's good to see the divide between top associates and bottom full members going away. Netherlands have lots of home grown talent as well. Hopefully the likes of Peter Borren who's been around for ever for them get's more opportunity.

Unfortunately I think there is an element of Zimbabwe falling away even further.

Where would Afghanistan play its home tests. Cant see anyone wanting to tour there to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back