2017 trade/draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely would do a Gov jr for Darling trade, esp if we get an extra pick out of it, not sure Adelaide would do it since they apparently want to build their future around him or something, but Darling is only 2 years older, so not a big difference in terms on age. Similar size and potential output.

Having a go at end of year list mgmt.
Keeping in mind we currently have a list make up of 39/5, I'd like us to move to 40/4 this year.

Rookie list - almost feel we need to clean house here. Loving Petrie, but we need to move forward. McInnes, gorter and Tunbridge can go for mine. Snadden to get another year.

Butler - retired
Lecras - retired
Giles - move to rookie list
At least one other to leave, from;
-smitch (retire) - love him and really wanna see him with NN, but deep down I feel like he will be even better as a coach and we need to move towards youth. Wont be upset if he goes on though.
-hill (delist) think he may be useful as depth and still decent player really
-emac (free agent), like his form lately but really we don't need him that badly..
- masten (trade) would like to see us trade him but can't see it happening
- lamb (trade) personally would give him a 2 year contract but can see him going elsewhere

assuming we lose one of those guys that would give us a 35/2 list.
- Get two in the rookie
- four in the draft
- one via trade (someone cheap is my preference)

Also on jack darling , I think he is Still a decent player but for sure he is not fulfilling his potential at all. Im ok with keeping him, but I do wonder if a change would actually be what's best for him also, just feels like one of those situations where a new scene could do him wonders.

One thing forsure tho, we have to get a KPF this year.. Were missing JK so bad. Or even another decent KPF and moving gov forward post Kennedy on a permanent basis.

Not debating the trade - only responding to the comment that the draft was weak and not worth taking much after pick 20.

We have a track record of not trading players in contract so I cannot see Masten leaving despite the many calls here and likely prolonged WAFL time.
From my understanding you can't trade a player in contract out unless said player requests a trade. If they are in contract and want to stay, the Club just has to live with it which is why it's so important to get the contracts right in the first place.

Darling for Gov Jr + 2nd rounder?

Yeah I'd do that.

Agree with you Monocle, something has gone wrong in his game or the way he is being coached. He has gone from being a damaging third tall/KPF to barely affecting games. The fact that he hasnt contributed at all in the last few games is genuinely concerning.
I think it may be the coaching?

Oh duck me, you can't be serious? Snadden is no good, we agree on that, but I'd rather a Tim Kelly or Jye Bolton. ;)
Tim Kelly will be taken (by us, hopefully) in the ND, not as a rookie. ;)

Bolton I'm not as interested in. Schloithe ducks but he has plenty of positive aspects to his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Kelly will be taken (by us, hopefully) in the ND, not as a rookie. ;)

Bolton I'm not as interested in. Schloithe ducks but he has plenty of positive aspects to his game.
Agree with Kelly. Schloithe, I don't see a lot of other aspects to his game. Certainly not the physicality that I believe we need. Not saying Bolton has that either, but my goodness we need an enforcer, of kinds, don't we?

Agree with Kelly. Schloithe, I don't see a lot of other aspects to his game. Certainly not the physicality that I believe we need. Not saying Bolton has that either, but my goodness we need an enforcer, of kinds, don't we?
Mate if we want an enforcer lets go Kody Manning and give him license to do whatever he wants haha.

Main List:
Sam Butler (Retire)
Mark LeCras (Retire)
Sam Mitchell (Retire)
Tom Lamb (Traded for Pick #70)
Jonathan Giles (Delist and re-rookie)

Realistically can't see the club moving on Masten or Mackenzie, particularly while the latter is being shoe-horned into the side. Ideally we'd cut deeper than five players but with the lack of depth in this draft we may hold fire.

Rookie List:
Drew Petrie (Retire)
Simon Tunbridge (Delist)
Fraser McInnes (Delist)
Paddy Brophy (Delist)
Tom Gorter (Delist)

Retain Snadden, Giles and Bayok on the rookie list and draft two more through the RD.

Draft Selections (Approx): #11, #35, #55, #70, #75

The pessimist in me is worried we might trade our first two picks for McGovern and Matera but hopefully common sense prevails. It's hard to see how a deal for McGovern could get done given pick #11 is too much and their picks would be roughly #17 and #40.

We currently have 39 players on the senior list. Unless we sign a Free Agent, cutting five players means a minimum of drafting (or trading for) four players to satisfy the minimum of 38. With the supposed lack of depth in this talent pool, I wouldn't mind getting creative with some of our trades. For instance:

• Trade #11 to Gold Coast for picks #21 and #22.
  • Trade pick #22 to Adelaide for Mitch McGovern.
Then, if we feel we absolutely must have Matera, we should play hard ball and not offer that second pick:
  • Trade pick #55 to Gold Coast for Brandon Matera (or form part of the deal above).
Acquisitions:
  • Mitch McGovern
  • Brandon Matera
  • Pick #21
  • Pick #35
  • Pick #70 (which we don't necessarily have to use if we prefer to go with 6 rookies next season).
Personally, I could do without Matera and wouldn't mind the pick in the 50's but I'm trying to suss out a good way for the club to go about it.

Mate if we want an enforcer lets go Kody Manning and give him license to do whatever he wants haha.
I was telling him only last week that having tatts doesn't make you tough, though. :) I suppose it's a different game today and most players aren't overly aggressive, but we need someone who will walk that line, when required. You don't need to snipe or any behind the play s**t, but you need to be able to hand out the physicality when it is required. I am falling short of names though, I just know we need something like that in the team. Not headless chook stuff, not Ronny Boucher stuff, but Worsfold, Pyke, Evans stuff.

Main List:
Sam Butler (Retire)
Mark LeCras (Retire)
Sam Mitchell (Retire)
Tom Lamb (Traded for Pick #70)
Jonathan Giles (Delist and re-rookie)

Realistically can't see the club moving on Masten or Mackenzie, particularly while the latter is being shoe-horned into the side. Ideally we'd cut deeper than five players but with the lack of depth in this draft we may hold fire.

Rookie List:
Drew Petrie (Retire)
Simon Tunbridge (Delist)
Fraser McInnes (Delist)
Paddy Brophy (Delist)
Tom Gorter (Delist)

Retain Snadden, Giles and Bayok on the rookie list and draft two more through the RD.

Draft Selections (Approx): #11, #35, #55, #70, #75

The pessimist in me is worried we might trade our first two picks for McGovern and Matera but hopefully common sense prevails. It's hard to see how a deal for McGovern could get done given pick #11 is too much and their picks would be roughly #17 and #40.

We currently have 39 players on the senior list. Unless we sign a Free Agent, cutting five players means a minimum of drafting (or trading for) four players to satisfy the minimum of 38. With the supposed lack of depth in this talent pool, I wouldn't mind getting creative with some of our trades. For instance:

• Trade #11 to Gold Coast for picks #21 and #22.
  • Trade pick #22 to Adelaide for Mitch McGovern.
Then, if we feel we absolutely must have Matera, we should play hard ball and not offer that second pick:
  • Trade pick #55 to Gold Coast for Brandon Matera (or form part of the deal above).
Acquisitions:
  • Mitch McGovern
  • Brandon Matera
  • Pick #21
  • Pick #35
  • Pick #70 (which we don't necessarily have to use if we prefer to go with 6 rookies next season).
Personally, I could do without Matera and wouldn't mind the pick in the 50's but I'm trying to suss out a good way for the club to go about it.
And with this - a simple question as to how you are helping our midfield?

People will say who !!!
But I would as a long shot , rookie Warwick Wilson from SD from clontarf and playing for SD is probably the best kick of a football I have seen for quite a while poetry , beautiful ...doesnt get a lot of the ball but has good height .

I am all for trading Gaff as I think he is the biggest problem with our midfield. Said it before, I can not believe a player who is so one sided made it to the AFL, even WAFL ! We need some grunt !

It's not being one sided which is the issue imo, it's his inability to win 1 on 1 contests and impact pack contests. Just gets pushed off the line, thrown out the way and generally walked all over. For a midfield that is slow like ours it's a very bad fault.

Exactly - couldn't agree more!!
Need to put a massive contract in front of someone like Gary Buckenara. Our recruiting/drafting hasn't been overly terrible over the years but they also haven't been great either and thats probably gonna bite us soon.

And with this - a simple question as to how you are helping our midfield?

Not through trading necessarily. I'm not against going after a FA like Zaharakis but I'm wary of the prospect of forcing the issue through a trade for a player that doesn't really solve the issue, or worse, is a fundamentally poor player (Jack Redden).

As I posted earlier I'm open to the idea of drafting a mid with our first pick, but we've drafted midfield-heavy in recent years and now our issues have spread to other parts of the ground. To some extent we also have to back in the mids we've drafted in the past four years to help us keep improving:

Dom Sheed
Liam Duggan
Luke Partington
Kurt Mutimer
Daniel Venables
Josh Rotham (eventually)

The problem with drafting players now is they don't improve us now. I think we need to recognise that we are either trying to win a premiership now or discounting the ability of kennedy and nicnat to lead us to one. We can use the draft for the future partially but i think our main focus needs to be now.

It's not being one sided which is the issue imo, it's his inability to win 1 on 1 contests and impact pack contests. Just gets pushed off the line, thrown out the way and generally walked all over. For a midfield that is slow like ours it's a very bad fault.
Yes, agree with all that. Just highlighting something that was drilled into me from under 12's. By under 16's nearly all our players could kick and handball on both sides. Remember some sessions we were only to use our not dominant side. Can still kick 45 metres either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back