Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because he's tall, doesn't mean he's a key forward.

Correct. What's your point?

He takes contested marks, brings the ball to ground, we score more when he is in the team, he provides forward structure, and he can provide a back-up rucking option. That's why he is a key forward.

Why keep a player as depth after 5 years ? I don't know about your reason but this keep changing chair thing got to stop . Griffin,sutty,sherriden ,tab , is given enough time to prove themselves .
Please think carefully with your post. Look at our list of KPFs: Tabs, Kersten, McCarthy, Cox, Strnadica

Please think carefully with your post. Look at our list of KPFs: Tabs, Kersten, McCarthy, Cox, Strnadica
I already think carefully , do a proper rebuild if they are depth in the system for 5 years no point keeping them, draft fresh face rookie list one year contract is still better than keeping tab and kerstern playing for peel.

I already think carefully , do a proper rebuild if they are depth in the system for 5 years no point keeping them, draft fresh face rookie list one year contract is still better than keeping tab and kerstern playing for peel.

Sutcliffe, Griffin both played twice as many games as Taberner.
Sheridan also played more.

Suban has played 3x more, Spurr has played over 2x more.

The thing with McCarthy I noticed was his leading to the ball was not acknowledged and by the time the player carrying ball looked to kick forward he had spent his lead and it was just easy pickings for Harry-T and Kohli-Jazzi.

Either the timing of his leads are out or the ball carriers are not lowering his leads. For mine it is a case of both. He needs to keep playing.

Kersten has shown a bit in some games but his confidence is shot so I beg that the match committee give him a bit of a spell in the twos.

Yeah but hasn't been given a fair run. In and out of the side for years does not = fair run.
How many times has Kersten been dropped this season?
Tabs did play 15 games in a row last season - so I don't completely buy this never been given a fair run line. I'm a bit on the fence with Taberner. I am highly doubtful he will ever become the key forward we need him to but at the same time I don't think any of our key forwards have shown any more than him lately. I don't think we are greatly better nor significantly worse with him in the team. I suspect he'll get another opportunity this season and that could be next week.

My point is play him from now to see what Tab can do , worse case scenario is end of the season hard decision had to be make . This also applied to Collins and maybe uebergang ( still my favourite player) . Sometime a player need to change team to become a better player . Liam Jones , Josh Kennedy is the few I can think of.

Tabs did play 15 games in a row last season - so I don't completely buy this never been given a fair run line. I'm a bit on the fence with Taberner. I am highly doubtful he will ever become the key forward we need him.

The problem is he played nearly all those games behind Pavlich last year. He has had skewered game time and development in seniors because we were a side in contention. He is 24 now and should of played 13 games this year without Pavlich in the side, yet McCarthy and Kersten have been given all of those games off of nothing? Taberner would be leading contested marks and goals right now for us guaranteed - AND if he played all those games instead of Kersten, McCarthy would be better off at this point too.

I just wish Apeness was fit - because the two recruits definitely would not of played every game so far this season and there would of been some competition at the selection table.

I highly doubt tabs would get a look in if apeness or uber were fit.
As it stands, it's possible stradnica will be given an opportunity to play before we see a solid run of tabs again.

The structural set up with a true KPF is needed at FFC, I just don't think Tabs is the guy to fill the role.

As it stands, it's possible stradnica will be given an opportunity to play before we see a solid run of tabs again.

The structural set up with a true KPF is needed at FFC, I just don't think Tabs is the guy to fill the role.
Not even temporary ?

You are probably right given how much Lyon seems to dislike Taberner.

But in truth Taberner has shown a whole lot more in his time at the club than Apeness ever has. Both as a forward and and as a ruck.

Apeness averages something like 5 possessions and 0.5 hitouts per game. I continually fail to see how he ever became the great white hope. Truth be told he's never shown a single thing at AFL level.

Tabs did play 15 games in a row last season - so I don't completely buy this never been given a fair run line. I'm a bit on the fence with Taberner. I am highly doubtful he will ever become the key forward we need him to but at the same time I don't think any of our key forwards have shown any more than him lately. I don't think we are greatly better nor significantly worse with him in the team. I suspect he'll get another opportunity this season and that could be next week.

So he had a decent run in one season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with McCarthy I noticed was his leading to the ball was not acknowledged and by the time the player carrying ball looked to kick forward he had spent his lead and it was just easy pickings for Harry-T and Kohli-Jazzi.

Either the timing of his leads are out or the ball carriers are not lowering his leads. For mine it is a case of both. He needs to keep playing.

Kersten has shown a bit in some games but his confidence is shot so I beg that the match committee give him a bit of a spell in the twos.

Or he leads to the wrong area.

Watch Brad Hill's running goal.
He leads toward him for a short kick. For once he needed to drag his opponent away from where Hill is going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar to a fair few Freo fans (alliteration is always fun), I'm increasingly negative about Tabs' chances. He seemingly has all the raw materials but just can't seem to put it together consistently at AFL level. He's definitely been chopped and changed more than most in his short career, but we have a large enough sample size now to see that he's likely not going to be the KPF we all want.

The question for 2017 is, do you give him an extended, uninterrupted run in the firsts during a development year to see if it can actually all click? Especially while there's few others viable options and we are seemingly set up to require a tall marking target. Obviously he did get a good run at it last year and as always, showed bits and pieces, but I guess there isn't much to lose in letting him have potentially one final crack at it in a year when we won't be contending.

The problem is he played nearly all those games behind Pavlich last year.
We still rolling out that line? ;) I was hopeful back then too but in retrospect I think it was just wishful thinking that Pav would make way and he'd step up as the the superstar key forward we needed. In reality our tall forwards have sucked in 4 of the 5 games he has played this season as well. But in fairness they've also sucked in most of the games he hasn't played. Like I said, it matters little if he plays or doesn't imo - we'll still likely struggle up forward in most games. I do agree though, that having Apeness, Ueber and even APearce fit might have helped with competition but I still think we are missing the key piece to our forward line that we can only get using our 1st rounder this year or else via free agency/trade in future years.

You are probably right given how much Lyon seems to dislike Taberner.

But in truth Taberner has shown a whole lot more in his time at the club than Apeness ever has. Both as a forward and and as a ruck.

Apeness averages something like 5 possessions and 0.5 hitouts per game. I continually fail to see how he ever became the great white hope. Truth be told he's never shown a single thing at AFL level.

Surely if one player has played 50 games and the other player has played 7 - it might be better for you to compare them both after 7 games.

We still rolling out that line? ;) I was hopeful back then too but in retrospect I think it was just wishful thinking that Pav would make way and he'd step up as the the superstar key forward we needed. In reality.

In reality we've barely picked him since Pavlich retired which is the height of lunacy if you ask me.

Sick of this Tab debate , play him until the end of the season take one of Kersten or cam Mac out .

The post you are referring to was embellished, it wasn't my intention to make you so upset that you posted about it in 3 different threads. :thumbsu:
Not in the least upset just wondering if you have a map or directions for the planet you visit.
No idea what you might mean by embellished??
Delusional??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back