AFL Rising Star award

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy McGrath or Ryan Burton leading at this stage for mine. SPP has dropped off significantly after a good first couple of games. Can see McGrath being the most consistent this year and consistency is always rewarded as seen with Mills last year who didn't receive a nomination until the latter part of the year.

Don't mind Jye Simpkin at odds. Hasn't been racking up the touches yet but still gets a decent amount of media appreciation during matches. If he can start getting 20-25 touches a game in the back half should grab a bit of attention

reckon dan Houston is one slipping under the radar in an ordinary field so far. hardly put a foot wrong so far at port. was $41 before last Friday,

not sure you can win the award from his style of play. mark and distribute just isn't conducive to the sexyness required for votes. will need to up his disposal average to at last 22 touches and clear number 1 in a in vogue stat like metres gained to even be considered. too many backward kicks received .

No idea but beware.
I took Rockliff for 101:1 and he has now been massively smashed in. They are offering me less money than my stake to cash out. 365 cash out varies on different markets, I should have made a packet on the above.

Ryan Burton just jumped into $18 from $26 with Sportsbet.
Now into $14 now the game is over.

Check his numbers this season, watch him play. Is averaging better numbers than Mills did last year playing similar position. Should be leading the betting and may well be by the end of the round.

Check his numbers this season, watch him play. Is averaging better numbers than Mills did last year playing similar position. Should be leading the betting and may well be by the end of the round.
I like this bet alot.

He played a few games last year and so is less likely to drop away than 1st year players. Is highly rated by Hawks supporters and can play back or forward. Only thing that might count against him is he isn't super flashy or good in popular stats like goals kicked, intercept marks or metres gained. He is looking good for 20+ possies a game.

Burton's into 8's but his form is really solid and he looks great down back collecting possessions. 14 possies and 8 marks at half-time vs Sydney. Looks like he might go to the next level.

Burton's into 8's but his form is really solid and he looks great down back collecting possessions. 14 possies and 8 marks at half-time vs Sydney. Looks like he might go to the next level.
Been hovering atat $8-9 for the past couple weeks. Should go in further after tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton with the easy chip sideways possessions making his disposal efficiency look good. Where are the intercept possessions? Contested possessions? Winning much of the ball in the contest?

A good kick but not doing a lot otherwise tonight.

Burton with the easy chip sideways possessions making his disposal efficiency look good. Where are the intercept possessions? Contested possessions? Winning much of the ball in the contest?

A good kick but not doing a lot otherwise tonight.
Watch the game. He's doing things guy who've been playing for 10 years only wish they could do.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bloke hasn't even got a nom yet and isn't racking the numbers up ... But in a pretty even year if Charlie Curnow can pull together two or three above average games he is going to come into it. Commentators love him and his exciting 8 touches a game.

Burton now into $2.75 with Sportsbet.

He's now the outright favourite. I hope people jumped on at $18 or better when I pointed it out 3 weeks ago.
Tonight was exactly what was needed. Step up and show a bit of x factor with a dominating performance and a couple of massive goals with the game in the balance. Looking more comfortable by the week.

Tonight was exactly what was needed. Step up and show a bit of x factor with a dominating performance and a couple of massive goals with the game in the balance. Looking more comfortable by the week.
Agreed. Played another great defensive game last night but the 2 big goals when needed helped get him noticed. Into $1.95 with Sportsbet now. Will take something special for someone to catch him. Or if he gets suspended or injured.

Is this a one, two, three or four horse race? Burton obviously favourite but are the next three really still in striking distance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back