No Oppo Supporters The Positivity Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thoughts on Cox today?

I personally was very happy with him.
Competes in the ruck, took some nice grabs around the ground and is pretty slick below his knees.
His body looks in terrible shape for a pro athlete mind you.
Yep a preseason or two will help immensely. He played very well, 3 contested marks. good vision, decent skills.

My main thought though when watching him today was that while he isn't slow he needs to hurry up, if that makes sense. Needed some more urgency in a few moments of play.

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here i was thinking big darcy was just a tap ruckman with a big future. Man i was wrong he skooled stanley and was great in close today with his hands and kicks out of congestion. If he can get a running game going and take some grabs around the ground the skies the limit.
The future after 211 is bright :grinning:!!!

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Thoughts on Cox today?

I personally was very happy with him.
Competes in the ruck, took some nice grabs around the ground and is pretty slick below his knees.
His body looks in terrible shape for a pro athlete mind you.

I really liked him.
There's times where he's caught by the pace of the game.
Then there's others he just makes it happen.

That squaring pass to Ballantyne was just about the best kick I've seen all year. And some of his hand balling is exquisite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really liked him.
There's times where he's caught by the pace of the game.
Then there's others he just makes it happen.

That squaring pass to Ballantyne was just about the best kick I've seen all year. And some of his hand balling is exquisite

Could he be a long term third KPF/relief ruckman is what I'm really wanting to know?
He looks like he might be the guy that could fill this role.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Could he be a long term third KPF/relief ruckman is what I'm really wanting to know?
He looks like he might be the guy that could fill this role.

Yes.
I didn't feel like we were losing the ruck badly when he took over when Darcy was resting.
He competed well, and I think he's a smart lead up forward. As he builds his tank he'll be great

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Came here to foam about Blakely. What a guy. Already plays like a 100 gamer (a good one). Feel confident when I realise it is him that has the ball or is entering the contest.

Also, not sure if he is the KPF/Ruck solution but reckon Cox definitely has something going for him Wizard. If he does turn out to be a solid B or better KPF that is a great result with pick 40 odd. They typically don't come outside of 20 unless it is some bull**** concession that we never seem to have access to.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Yes.
I didn't feel like we were losing the ruck badly when he took over when Darcy was resting.
He competed well, and I think he's a smart lead up forward. As he builds his tank he'll be great

Having said that, I'd like him as a permanent CHF when we finally work out a forward set up

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Came here to foam about Blakely. What a guy. Already plays like a 100 gamer (a good one). Feel confident when I realise it is him that has the ball or is entering the contest.

Also, not sure if he is the KPF/Ruck solution but reckon Cox definitely has something going for him Wizard. If he does turn out to be a solid B or better KPF that is a great result with pick 40 odd. They typically don't come outside of 20 unless it is some bull**** concession that we never seem to have access to.
So how is Queensland ? Do you watch neafl at all ?

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

People are getting a bit carried a way with this. Need to remember that Geelong don't play any genuine ruckman as a deliberate strategy. They expect to lose hitouts every week and rely on Dangerwood to be good enough for it to not matter. Bliclavs was had midfielder-type numbers to go along with his 22 hitouts. Both of their ruckmen hurt us big time around the ground in the last quarter.

It's going to be a different story for Cox (and probably Darcy too) when they come up against a genuine ruckman in future games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
People are getting a bit carried a way with this. Need to remember that Geelong don't play any genuine ruckman as a deliberate strategy. They expect to lose hitouts every week and rely on Dangerwood to be good enough for it to not matter. Bliclavs was had midfielder-type numbers to go along with his 22 hitouts. Both of their ruckmen hurt us big time around the ground in the last quarter.

It's going to be a different story for Cox (and probably Darcy too) when they come up against a genuine ruckman in future games.

Yeah, I think some of that's fair enough. No doubt their rucks helped them win that game with ours just not able to keep up. Said as much in the game thread.

However, on the other hand, Darcy showed he can hold his own in the contested play. He's got a hunger for the contest and thinks quickly for a young big. I think you've got to be happy with his debut. Of course seasoned true rucks are going to show him up a bit. Sandi looked pretty ordinary for a while there too that's just how it is. But he's got the raw ingredients there to build a career as as an AFL ruckman and he's ours. I'm happy with that so far.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, I think some of that's fair enough. No doubt their rucks helped them win that game with ours just not able to keep up. Said as much in the game thread.

However, on the other hand, Darcy showed he can hold his own in the contested play. He's got a hunger for the contest and thinks quickly for a young big. I think you've got to be happy with his debut. Of course seasoned true rucks are going to show him up a bit. Sandi looked pretty ordinary for a while there too that's just how it is. But he's got the raw ingredients there to build a career as as an AFL ruckman and he's ours. I'm happy with that so far.

Yep I think the best thing about Darcy wasn't necessarily his ruckwork, but his ability to follow it up with 5 clearances. Very Mumford-like and important for a guy who's more in the lumbering than mobile category.

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok, so I have cooled down a bit now.

Positive: The Youngsters!

Wow wee guys like Weller, Blakeley, Tucker who in their 2nd/3rd years are really stepping up and complimenting the likes of Walters, Hills, Neale. Plus not to mention the BFG Sean Darcy, Cox and even Deluca showed a bit.

We're still a long way off but the early signs are good and at the end of the day just remember. There's another local AFL team whose best midfielder is 34, best forward is 35 and one of their key defenders couldn't hit a target with his elbow from half a foot away.

Jokes aside, I am comfortable with Freo at the moment even though we're a few years away from competing for top 4.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
So how is Queensland ? Do you watch neafl at all ?

Queensland is much like the rest of Australia except they like league and fishing considerably more than everywhere else (except NSW for league).

Never seen a NEAFL game in my life... Comp is full of spuds isn't it? Doesn't the Giants twos gets smashed by 200 every week?

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Thought this was the positivity thread, not the let's just calm down and be realistic thread. My bad o_O

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Queensland is much like the rest of Australia except they like league and fishing considerably more than everywhere else (except NSW for league).

Never seen a NEAFL game in my life... Comp is full of spuds isn't it? Doesn't the Giants twos gets smashed by 200 every week?
Giants two in GF last year . Umm look like I got nothing much to ask from you as I know more than you regarding NEAFL.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just realised that all of last years draft picks played yesterday. Balic would have played ans yarran if he hadnt lost his marbles.

The recruiters lately have been going alright

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
A positive I feel people are taking for granted is how much better Neale is offensively this year. Enormous improvement from our doig medallist and it almost feels expected as he's made huge improvements in his game each year for 4+ years now. His 27 disposal games this year are far more creative and dangerous than 40 touch game last year as his kicking has improved

On SM-A5100 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
A positive I feel people are taking for granted is how much better Neale is offensively this year. Enormous improvement from our doig medallist and it almost feels expected as he's made huge improvements in his game each year for 4+ years now. His 27 disposal games this year are far more creative and dangerous than 40 touch game last year as his kicking has improved

On SM-A5100 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He seems to have found a yard of pace too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back