Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been great this year but he had a poor game. He absolutely 100% should not have allowed his opponent a chance to smother him when taking the kick in at the last. Its very likely that mistake cost us the game. I'm not particularly forgiving about that 'type' of mistake because a kick-in is basically an uncontested possession - there's no way you should get smothered in that moment.

To be fair lots of mistakes in the last 5 minutes got us to that position but yeah as a senior leader with his kicking ability - he just had to do better. I trust if he's in that situation again he won't make that mistake again.

It was a big mistake, but * me there were 50 in the last 4min.. Hurley holding the ball, Mckenna turning his back, Joey missing a spoil, fanta stoppage positioning etc etc...
Funnily enough, BJ's massive tackle against Parker was the best EFC play in that horrific last 5min as the entire Swan's forward line was in on goal if the ball spilt loose which Goddard did not allow to happen with a desperate front on tackle..

Kane Cornes calling for him to retire at seasons end partly based on him being slow to bend down on one occasion! Said he's been poor the last month! FMD!
Kane Cornes can gagf :)

Was just coming here to post an excerpt of an article from the AFL website about Goddard's contract:
Meanwhile, Goddard expressed his desire to line up again next year and extend his career into a 16th season.

"I've got a trigger clause so if I trigger that this year then I trigger a contract for next year," Goddard said.

"If there's a case like Jimmy Bartel and Geelong where the club doesn't see me as part of their future – and near future being next year – then we'll come to a decision, but right now I've got a games clause in my contract.

"I think I'm warranting a contract for next year – I think my form backs it up."

Goddard looks set to trigger the games-played clause, which is believed to be 16 or 17 matches.

The 32-year-old has appeared in all 13 matches so far this year.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-26/goddard-opens-up-on-costly-kickin-error

I have him top 5 easily.

He was important early when the team was misfiring and his clearance work was so far ahead of everyone else.

He's playing more of his traditional role now and is still doing important things.

I would be disappointed if he wasn't to go on next year. Which it looks likely that he will.

Jeez things turn around quick - a few weeks ago, we were talking about how BJ was back to his best (probably since his B&F year!) and how he was flying under the radar a little.

Slowly even the astute analysts in the media were catching on, talking about how his revitalization as a player this year was key to our success.

Yet suddenly, he has a bad game and makes a few errors (albeit costly ones!) and we've gone from talking about how good he's been to morons like KCornes saying he should retire. Please.

Righto, watch him come out breathing fire against the Lions and tear them apart, only for the media boiz to come out with "I always backed him, such a class act, he could play another TWO years he's good enough - knew he wasn't finished".

The fact that a kick-in error has even lead to him having to discuss his contract is the epitomy of a knee-jerk reaction.

Go watch the game again folks. Kennedy was killing us. First bounce of the last quarter Goddard went to him and immediately his output was slowed and Goddard hurt him going the other way. He was the single mos important reason we got back in the game. Obviously not for explosive runners, but Goddard should be given a run with role against all other dominant mids for the rest of the season.

He reduces their impact at the stoppapge, provides leadership at the stoppage and takes advantage of the lack of accountability of most stars to hurt them the other way. It is perfect for our team balance because we neutralise a star and can keep attacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if this has been posted somewhere around here... if it has, I haven't seen it. But if you're up for watching BJ breakdown the last few minutes of that game, it's quite interesting to see the thinking behind some of the decisions and what they would do differently with the benefit of hindsight.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2017-06-27/btv-catch-up-goddard-on-footy-classified

I saw that and the part I found disappointing was the part when Bellchambers was kicking the ball into the forward fifty and BJ basically said that he was aiming for the pocket to cause a stoppage, the bit I found wrong with that was why wasn't he looking for a tall forward to take a mark or have a crumbing goal from one of our smalls.

The other thing which I noticed was when BJ was kicking in, we had three or four Essendon players in the center jogging towards the wing, why were they not moving forward to offer a lead or long option.

I saw that and the part I found disappointing was the part when Bellchambers was kicking the ball into the forward fifty and BJ basically said that he was aiming for the pocket to cause a stoppage, the bit I found wrong with that was why wasn't he looking for a tall forward to take a mark or have a crumbing goal from one of our smalls.

The other thing which I noticed was when BJ was kicking in, we had three or four Essendon players in the center jogging towards the wing, why were they not moving forward to offer a lead or long option.
On point 1, I think the issue is what BJ was talking about top of the square tall target was a risk, if Sydney got the ball, quick up the centre was a risk.

The latter I think that was an issue the whole last 4 minutes no was was running. They didn't have to be running for attacking players just create an option. That burnt Joe too I think with his mark.

BF is becoming a parody of itself. Player dropped after a mistake which could be argued is good play by the opposition. Follow the BF mantra and there will be no AFL because players make mistakes.

BF is becoming a parody of itself. Player dropped after a mistake which could be argued is good play by the opposition. Follow the BF mantra and there will be no AFL because players make mistakes.
Don't forget that if a player is injured, you can't ever risk bringing them back in as it must be too early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back