Is Ross Lyon averse to risk?

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
They undoubtedly did a longer apprenticeship than some liked but listening to Blakely describe how he feels it helped round out his game and make him a much more complete and confident footballer,alongside the development of the other two you mention,and the fact that Connor's just signed up for the rebuild and will likely commit to the club for his career,suggest another aspect to this supposed risk aversion.
Maybe the risk he's averse to is the risk the talented youngsters won't reach full potential,with as complete a set of skills as they're capable of if they're not developed judiciously.That they will not feel they are in the best learning environment with the most mature and focused footy education and future ahead of them and with a vision and strategy that they can commit their professional careers to.
Avert that sort of risk and you're paving the way to develop and retain your young talent and give your list and club best chance of actualising its potential and therefore chances for long term stability and success.
As you say they certainly don't appear stifled and are playing with a maturity and polish beyond their years.The creativity,penetration and hurt factor in Blakely's kicking in particular has just skyrocketed.
That said I don't mind a bit of playing the percentages.o_O

Go ask a St Kilda fan how he liked all the development ol' rosco put into their youth. If we were middle of the road the last 2 yrs then half these young blokes that everyone is saying he has nurtured like little chickens would not even be getting a game. His hand was forced , he had no option but to do what we all were screaming for ....and wow what do you know some of these kids are better than his troopers and now you want to give him credit for it ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Go ask a St Kilda fan how he liked all the development ol' rosco put into their youth. If we were middle of the road the last 2 yrs then half these young blokes that everyone is saying he has nurtured like little chickens would not even be getting a game. His hand was forced , he had no option but to do what we all were screaming for ....and wow what do you know some of these kids are better than his troopers and now you want to give him credit for it ?

Who put the work into them to make them who they are if it wasn't Ross, Blakely has already stated his improvement is down to Ross.? Who should get the credit. Its a legit question.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Go ask a St Kilda fan how he liked all the development ol' rosco put into their youth.

Why don't we go straight to the source instead?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-04/lyons-lessons-helped-saint

DAVID Armitage doesn't think he'd be preparing for his 100th AFL game this Sunday if Ross Lyon hadn't come to St Kilda at the end of 2006.

"He was a really good coach for me … and the likes of Jarryn Geary and Robert Eddy and other blokes coming through at that time – Jack Steven as well.

"He taught us how to be really professional athletes pretty early on

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who put the work into them to make them who they are if it wasn't Ross, Blakely has already stated his improvement is down to Ross.? Who should get the credit. Its a legit question.

No one , he was going to be a good player wherever he went do you really think he wouldn't have been a good player for Brisbane Carlton or whoever?

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
No one , he was going to be a good player wherever he went do you really think he wouldn't have been a good player for Brisbane Carlton or whoever?

Know one for Blakely , really:rolleyes: Thats not what Connor has said publicly. And Weller,Langdon, Grey, Darcy, Hughes,Walters etc, etc etc. Have all said that Ross is their mentor. Pav and Luke have also publicly stated that Ross turned them into true Pros. You are trolling surely.?;)

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Coach X was really instrumental in my first few years at club X
It's a trope mate the names are all interchangeable you could dig out the same old chestnut about any coach not even the good ones. What a revalation the senior coach at club X taught me how to be a pro footy player when I first came into the league ......shocker ......athlete drivel

Last edited:

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
It's a trope mate the names are all interchangeable you could dig out the same old chestnut about any coach not even the good ones. What a revaluation the senior coach at club X taught me how to be a pro footy player when I first came into the league ......shocker ......athlete drivel

I haven't read Pav's book yet but I'd be very surprised if he said the same about Drum. And conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a lot of praise for Lyon.

Is it really that hard to believe Lyon is a quality coach? The man is clearly a good operator.

He can't really win if you're going to pin all the negatives on the coach while attributing all the successes to the players developing themselves.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Know one for Blakely , really:rolleyes: Thats not what Connor has said publicly. And Weller,Langdon, Grey, Darcy, Hughes,Walters etc, etc etc. Have all said that Ross is their mentor. Pav and Luke have also publicly stated that Ross turned them into true Pros. You are trolling surely.?;)

Same as the 20 players who say the same about Clarko and the 19 say about Bolton and the 17 say about Fagan and 20 players say about Wayne Bennett , Ange Postacoglou or 250 other coaches from any sport you can think of. Player interviews are so boring if you change the nouns , transpose the words and hey presto an interview with a NBA player

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's a trope mate the names are all interchangeable you could dig out the same old chestnut about any coach not even the good ones. What a revalation the senior coach at club X taught me how to be a pro footy player when I first came into the league ......shocker ......athlete drivel

I guess the onus is on you to find where they said it about another coach (other than Richo). That's fair.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Same as the 20 players who say the same about Clarko and the 19 say about Bolton and the 17 say about Fagan and 20 players say about Wayne Bennett , Ange Postacoglou or 250 other coaches from any sport you can think of. Player interviews are so boring if you change the nouns , transpose the words and hey presto an interview with a NBA player

Gotcha ,all players are liars. :) From the age they put on a pair of footy boots its all down to the players themselves to get the skills of the game. Coaches are there because the clubs like to shell out millions to them for no reason.:rolleyes:

Banker

Club Legend
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Exactly, name a player who put down their development to 'themselves'.

The cream of the crop will always rise and people are mile away could see the talent of Blakely. Its the second tier players like Sheridan and Sutclife in which Ross should be judged on. In my books these two blokes could have been decent players instead they're confused and wasted half talent.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I haven't read Pav's book yet but I'd be very surprised if he said the same about Drum. And conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a lot of praise for Lyon.

Is it really that hard to believe Lyon is a quality coach? The man is clearly a good operator.

He can't really win if you're going to pin all the negatives on the coach while attributing all the successes to the players developing themselves.

I've had 20 posts on this very subject and I've never once said he's not a good coach , all I'm saying and have said for 12 mths is I don't think he's the right fit for us RIGHT NOW

Banker

Club Legend
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very well summed up and there are numerous more examples than the ones you mentioned, though those are the probably the most memorable, especially the 2015 team selections.

Ross has always been an excellent coach, and as a devout Freo fan I am totally aware of the effect he had on our club. The ability to get every player on and off field to buy in was something we had never before seen at Fremantle. Watching our side put in great effort week in and week out both home and away was infinitely more satisfying than seeing the historically flaky Fremantle.

Ross 2017 is doing a good job overall. The reluctancy to play Darcy was frustrating and classic Lyon. But you can't underestimate the effect of his messages on our younger players. Whether he's coach in 5 years or not, they will be learning invaluable knowledge and mental toughness from him right now.

The same mental toughness in which Freo prior to this year couldn't win from behind?

Ross is one of the best sales people in the business and I bought initially but if Clarkson comes on the market the club should dump him asap.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gotcha ,all players are liars. :) From the age they put on a pair of footy boots its all down to the players themselves to get the skills of the game. Coaches are there because the clubs like to shell out millions to them for no reason.:rolleyes:[/

What ? Who said that all I said was Blakley would have been a good player where ever he went. I don't believe in the ' this club or that club is great at player development ' narrative. I believe they are just great at talent identification

Crippa

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

Ross has coached plenty of players who were coached by 3 or 4 senior coaches before him and they consistently describe him as being by far and away the best coach they ever had. The fervent devotion they continue to express for him years after he's ceased to be their coach and they've gone on to be coached by others is really quite striking and awe-inspiring from the players' point of view.

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle

There are plenty of people a player can attribute their success to...
Their captain, their formal captain, senior players, their high school coach, their neighbour, their neighbour's dog, nic nat's sms....

There is absolutely no need for players to attribute their development to any coach if they feel the coach did diddly squat for them.

Back