Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

BF is becoming a parody of itself. Player dropped after a mistake which could be argued is good play by the opposition. Follow the BF mantra and there will be no AFL because players make mistakes.

We have seen it pretty much every week this season yet time after time players have been turning that around to produce good footy.

I saw that and the part I found disappointing was the part when Bellchambers was kicking the ball into the forward fifty and BJ basically said that he was aiming for the pocket to cause a stoppage, the bit I found wrong with that was why wasn't he looking for a tall forward to take a mark or have a crumbing goal from one of our smalls.

Mate I was 15 meters away from Tom as he was lining up and trying to figure out who he could go to and I had nothing. There were only the small forwards, who started clustering into that pocket and I was thinking oh my god he's gonna kick it there and Isaac Heeney is gonna murder us, although I didn't expect that no Essendon player would even try to run at the ball. Tom did the 'team' thing that any player would have done but unfortunately the team thing here was also stupid as s**t and teammates should have either been offering another option behind the ball or more flooding to that pocket.

Mate I was 15 meters away from Tom as he was lining up and trying to figure out who he could go to and I had nothing. There were only the small forwards, who started clustering into that pocket and I was thinking oh my god he's gonna kick it there and Isaac Heeney is gonna murder us, although I didn't expect that no Essendon player would even try to run at the ball. Tom did the 'team' thing that any player would have done but unfortunately the team thing here was also stupid as s**t and teammates should have either been offering another option behind the ball or more flooding to that pocket.

From the footage, I could tell that he had no tall target and in the end went for the best option but it struck me that the team mind set was or as BJ put it, the plan was "go to the pocket and force a stoppage." Before hearing BJ saying that I hadn't thought much of it.

And that is why you shouldn't drop 'em after a bad game. Fuels them to hit it out of the park (HowardMoon) in the next game.
Talk of dropping Goddard was amusing.

Zero touches in the first 25 minutes of the final term. Where was he when we needed the leaders to stand up?

Zero touches in the first 25 minutes of the final term. Where was he when we needed the leaders to stand up?

Probably tired from carrying the team fkr the other 3 quarters.
Last person you single out after that game

Probably tired from carrying the team fkr the other 3 quarters.
Last person you single out after that game
Actually 2 quarters.
Played a good 1st and 3rd quarter. Did very little in the second and invisible in the last. And yes he was far from our worst and I wouldn't be dropping him.
Don't think I'd offer him another contract though

Actually 2 quarters.
Played a good 1st and 3rd quarter. Did very little in the second and invisible in the last. And yes he was far from our worst and I wouldn't be dropping him.
Don't think I'd offer him another contract though

I think its a call to make at the end of the seaso . If he hits his trigger clause then yes he gets one anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard sits at 20 in the comp for disposals, he gets another contract plain and simple, it shouldn't even be discussed
No doubt he'll get another contract. Begs the question however, what's the point of contracting a player that is good (but not great) and turning 33 next year if we don't look capable of winning the flag? He's just taking a spot in the side away from a youngster.

No doubt he'll get another contract. Begs the question however, what's the point of contracting a player that is good (but not great) and turning 33 next year if we don't look capable of winning the flag? He's just taking a spot in the side away from a youngster.
Which youngster's spot is he taking right now, and where would we be right now if that youngster was taking his spot this year?

He's not just taking a spot, he's playing very good football. We need more players in our team playing very good football.

Would be easily top 5 in our B & F.

How do you define great?

Yet they didn't give a Yelp in the last quarter when the game was on the line

He and Hep were stuck off the ground for large patches of the last, hard to influence the game from the bench..
Cant really ask for a better response from BJ, coaches rated him the best EFC player on the ground and his kicking was terrific.

Competition is good. You don't want to gift games to kids who don't deserve it. If a kid is good enough now to play he will force his way into the side.

Goddard will play on in 2018 if he wants to

Goddard is still one of our best players.

That he should play on next year (as long as he wants to) shouldn't even be a point of contention.

100% this. I think he gets judged very harshly because he is such a polarizing figure. Easily one of our best and most consistent. Plus, nobody is really putting their hand up to take his spot.

Goddard is still one of our best players.

That he should play on next year (as long as he wants to) shouldn't even be a point of contention.
Yep.
If we lose Jobe, we lose experience and leadership.
I'd like to see Goddard embraced more as a leader and support Heppell as captain. Get some angry into him.

plays on next year and is a starting 22 player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back