Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

With the big game coming up next weekend it's a good time to reminisce about the last time we ruined one of Collingwood's celebrations, the Centenary game of 1992. Carlton was coming off a 4 day break that famous Thursday night in May, Kernahan kicked 7 goals as we smashed the Pies by 33 points.

I was a Carlton supporter from the day I was born in 1957. A third generation Blue who started going to games in 1964. The first game that caught my imagination was Round 5 1965 when Carlton played Collingwood at Victoria Park.

The rivalry between the two teams was intense before that day however with the arrival of Ronald Dale Barassi it reached a new intensity. The Melbourne v Collingwood rivalry of the 50s and 60s was legendary and it was based on a hatred so strong that it could make men do extraordinary things to win the contest. My memory of this day was the superhuman effort of RDB. It would take two seasons for the new Carlton to emerge but this was our 'line in the sand' game.

I had to go back into the archives to familiarise myself with the scores from that day. My lasting memory was of a game still up for grabs at orange time and one of RDBs best games. Collingwood jumped Carlton kicking 6 goals to 1 in the first quarter. By three quarter time Carlton led by 9 points. The last quarter saw Barassi pushing himself to exhaustion to get the Blues over the line. Carlton won the game 13.7.85 to 9.11.65. A 20 point win that looked unlikely in the first half. As for RDB he collected 25 kicks, 11 handballs, 7 marks and 1 goal. No tackles or contested possessions were recorded in those days but Barassi was a fierce competitor (a contested beast) so you can draw your own conclusions.

Happy with the win I was captivated by the effort that day that saw Barassi assisted off the ground by a couple of team mates as a result of physical exhaustion. I found the photo which still my stirs my emotions to this day.

IMG_0506.jpg

I was a Carlton supporter from the day I was born in 1957. A third generation Blue who started going to games in 1964. The first game that caught my imagination was Round 5 1965 when Carlton played Collingwood at Victoria Park.

The rivalry between the two teams was intense before that day however with the arrival of Ronald Dale Barassi it reached a new intensity. The Melbourne v Collingwood rivalry of the 50s and 60s was legendary and it was based on a hatred so strong that it could make men do extraordinary things to win the contest. My memory of this day was the superhuman effort of RDB. It would take two seasons for the new Carlton to emerge but this was our 'line in the sand' game.

I had to go back into the archives to familiarise myself with the scores from that day. My lasting memory was of a game still up for grabs at orange time and one of RDBs best games. Collingwood jumped Carlton kicking 6 goals to 1 in the first quarter. By three quarter time Carlton led by 9 points. The last quarter saw Barassi pushing himself to exhaustion to get the Blues over the line. Carlton won the game 13.7.85 to 9.11.65. A 20 point win that looked unlikely in the first half. As for RDB he collected 25 kicks, 11 handballs, 7 marks and 1 goal. No tackles or contested possessions were recorded in those days but Barassi was a fierce competitor (a contested beast) so you can draw your own conclusions.

Happy with the win I was captivated by the effort that day that saw Barassi assisted off the ground by a couple of team mates as a result of physical exhaustion. I found the photo which still my stirs my emotions to this day.

View attachment 366207
hard to imagine the effect that getting barassi had on the clubs fortunes. almost overnight it madevus a destination club and turned it all around. in 1967 carlton came down to tarwin lower where mike williamson had a holiday house. we were living there at the time so i took my history of the carlton football club hard copy book along and got the entire list to sign it with a personalised sig from barassi. there are some long list names there (munari, zeinert and some i cant read) along with the more famous. still takes pride of place in the family home 50 years on.

This guy also made me realise what I love about footy!! If we could pick one of these up in this years draft I would be happy!!

View attachment 32850

Your post was from Oct 2013....

You asked for one of these.

peterdean-5725619-jpg.32850

A week later we did pick one of those up...

images (52).jpg

Nice work, TL. Feel free to ask for another Sticks, Diesel or Braddles at the end of the year.

Attachments

• peterdean-5725619.jpg
    peterdean-5725619.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

View attachment 366207

Thank you for sharing something so special before most of our times.
Just love it mate.
Barassi is such a special football person and even though he is well before my time probably the person in football I admire the most for what he has done for the game and my club. He created a culture and legacy that held strong for three decades. 8 premierships from 68 to 95 was started by his amazing influence on the football club culture.

Skilton was an absolute shocker. I really disliked his commentary.

Doull was an out & out champion. Best defender of our time, not just for Carlton but the entire competition. You look at the highlights in that video & he was providing run from defence long before it became fashionable.

The waskily wabbitt!

Who remembers that in 1994 the club revealed that our 1970 premiership cup displayed at the club for many years was a replica.

The original 1970 cup was stolen during a disco at the club, probably in the late 1970's, by a magpies fan who hid it up a tree in the dark nearby and then took it home later. The club kept it a secret as it was embarrassing and quietly arranged for a replica cup to be made. The club finally revealed this story in 1994 because the magpie thief finally got the attack of the guilts and returned the original at a toilet block next to Princes Park with an anonymous letter.

A day or 2 later it was revealed by the club that the 1972 premiership cup was also stolen and that too was secretly replaced by a replica. Amazingly in the same week the original 1970 cup was returned, the original 1972 cup was also returned by an anonymous Richmond supporting thief who used it for many years to store fruit.

The 1970 original cup has engraved on it 'Carlton' but the replica has engraved on it 'Carlton Football Club'. The 1970 cup now on display at the club near the cafe is the replica. Lord knows where the original one is located. The 1972 cup on display appears to be the original one.

I can't say too much but give the time that has lapsed I can confirm that both the original 1970 and 1972 premiership cups were taken on the same night in 1977 by a couple of 18 year olds. Both cups were held for the next 17 years. The 1970 by a Collingwood fan; the 1972 by a Richmond fan. In 1994, I believe the replica 1970 cup was stolen. It was soon discovered the original cup had been replaced. The Collingwood fan (now married with children) was concerned about having something so valuable in his possession decided to return the cup via Eddie McGuire. A few days later the Richmond fan arranged to have his returned as well. For some stupid reason at the time (1977) Ian Collins chose not to go public with the theft of the cups and instead had replicas made. Had Carlton gone public, no doubt the cups would have been returned fairly quickly. A lot of people knew about the cups and where they were but luckily for the two blokes concerned were never revealed during that time between 1977 and 1994.

I can say I saw the cups a few times during the early 80's, they were sitting on the mantle piece at each house of the respective thiefs, one had fruit in it and the other had loose change and other knick knacks.

Last edited:
I can't say too much but give the time that has lapsed I can confirm that both the original 1970 and 1972 premiership cups were taken on the same night in 1977 by a couple of 18 year olds. Both cups were held for the next 17 years. The 1970 by a Collingwood fan; the 1972 by a Richmond fan. In 1994, the Collingwood fan (now married with children) was concerned about having something so valuable in his possession decided to return the cup via Eddie McGuire. A few days later the Richmond fan arranged to have his returned as well. For some stupid reason at the time (1977) Ian Collins chose not to go public with the theft of the cups and instead had replicas made. Had Carlton gone public, no doubt the cups would have been returned fairly quickly. A lot of people knew about the cups and where they were but luckily for the two blokes concerned were never revealed during that time between 1977 and 1994.

I can say I saw the cups a few times during the early 80's, they were sitting on the mantle piece at each house of the respective thiefs, one had fruit in it and the other had loose change and other knick knacks.

Thanks Scoopar for the post :thumbsu:

I visited the MGC museum earlier this year and noticed that the original 1970 premiership cup is located there.

Thanks Scoopar for the post :thumbsu:

I visited the MGC museum earlier this year and noticed that the original 1970 premiership cup is located there.
Probably not relevant here but a great story similar to this. Before the 1966 soccer World Cup the trophy was on display in a secure (allegedly) location in England. Trophy was stolen and a ransom demanded with part of the liner sent as proof. Police arrested the person picking up the ransom (who claimed he was a go between only). No sign of the trophy though. Trophy was eventually found by Pickles the wonder dog who's owner received a 5000 pound reward (enough to allow him to buy a house). Pickles was in films, had an involvement in the world cup presentation etc but sadly died the next year by choking when his lead got caught on a branch whilst chasing a cat. The lead is still in the National Soccer museum. Strange but true.

One for the Blues detectives with good memories.

Been working on the Round 3 game of 1985 where we narrowly lost against North Melbourne in a crazy game.

I have noticed that lots of people in the crowd are wearing PINK.

Were the clubs involved in some sort of fundraising event at the time?

Would be interesting to know because it would predate the McGrath foundation by many years.

I love flicking through this thread and reading of Blue days gone by!

I was 5 when my friend convinced me to support Carlton after we won the premiership in '95. Sad to think that since then, we haven't had much on field success (save a 99 GF) since! But oh well, good times ahead hopefully.

Because of that I don't have a lot of great memories that I feel are akin to some of the ones shared here, but...

My earliest memory was at a saints blues game, Bradley was running down the wing and took a mark which he juggled in his hands as he continued to run about 15 meters. After he grabbed it he went to take his kick as if the mark was there, but the umpires made him come back 15 meters to where he first touched the ball. I just remember all the saints supporters around me calling Bradley a smart arse (a few expletives omitted for this post). It was such a small moment, but one that will always stick with me as Braddles was one of my fav players early on.

I vividly remember SOS getting clocked by Milburn, and being really angry at my Mum cos she's a cat supporter and I somehow blamed her.

The 99 prelim against Essendon I was in tears. And then was again when we lost to the Roos a week later.

No other good memories until the 2013 elimination final against Richmond (which I went to) - an absolute monster game. Best game I've been to in recent history, closely followed by the Essendon win earlier this year!

Sorry for the rambling memories but just wanted to join in on the nostalgic fun!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love flicking through this thread and reading of Blue days gone by!

I was 5 when my friend convinced me to support Carlton after we won the premiership in '95. Sad to think that since then, we haven't had much on field success (save a 99 GF) since! But oh well, good times ahead hopefully.

Because of that I don't have a lot of great memories that I feel are akin to some of the ones shared here, but...

My earliest memory was at a saints blues game, Bradley was running down the wing and took a mark which he juggled in his hands as he continued to run about 15 meters. After he grabbed it he went to take his kick as if the mark was there, but the umpires made him come back 15 meters to where he first touched the ball. I just remember all the saints supporters around me calling Bradley a smart arse (a few expletives omitted for this post). It was such a small moment, but one that will always stick with me as Braddles was one of my fav players early on.

I vividly remember SOS getting clocked by Milburn, and being really angry at my Mum cos she's a cat supporter and I somehow blamed her.

The 99 prelim against Essendon I was in tears. And then was again when we lost to the Roos a week later.

No other good memories until the 2013 elimination final against Richmond (which I went to) - an absolute monster game. Best game I've been to in recent history, closely followed by the Essendon win earlier this year!

Sorry for the rambling memories but just wanted to join in on the nostalgic fun!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for sharing your memories. I really admire the supporters of your generation who have stuck with the club through all the hard times without seeing much of the good times.

Growing up it was a lot easier for people like myself, we were so successful over such a long period of time.

I'm confident that we are approaching a time where we will experience some real success again. The thing that will please me most is that the younger supporters who have stuck with us when it would have been easy to hop right off will be rewarded for their loyalty.

Go Blues.

Thanks for sharing your memories. I really admire the supporters of your generation who have stuck with the club through all the hard times without seeing much of the good times.

Growing up it was a lot easier for people like myself, we were so successful over such a long period of time.

I'm confident that we are approaching a time where we will experience some real success again. The thing that will please me most is that the younger supporters who have stuck with us when it would have been easy to hop right off will be rewarded for their loyalty.

Go Blues.

Good post.

Have been following our club since the late '60's, so enjoyed the golden age, but will somehow find it even more enjoyable to watch this group attempt to scale Everest.

One for the Blues detectives with good memories.

Been working on the Round 3 game of 1985 where we narrowly lost against North Melbourne in a crazy game.

I have noticed that lots of people in the crowd are wearing PINK.

Were the clubs involved in some sort of fundraising event at the time?

Would be interesting to know because it would predate the McGrath foundation by many years.

Having grown up in the 80's there were probably a lot of fingerless gloves as well. I remember a trend of pink and lemon jumpers that many young blokes were wearing!

Your post was from Oct 2013....

You asked for one of these.

peterdean-5725619-jpg.32850

A week later we did pick one of those up...

View attachment 366258

Nice work, TL. Feel free to ask for another Sticks, Diesel or Braddles at the end of the year.

I reckon we may have found another Michael Sexton with Marchbank!

Hey guys, remember that time we beat GWS by a point? Good times.
Six years ago since we played Gold Coast in their first game up in Brisbane. Flew up from Sydney. Easy win but sat next to Andy Lee by coincidence. Didn't realise it till he asked me who had been subbed off. Had to laugh because it was Shaun Hampson (this was just after the Megan Gale breakup). When I told him he made me laugh by saying something like "Good, I hate that pr#$k". Good man, chatted the rest of the game. He loves his blues.

Houligate has provided me with another reason to walk down memory lane.

The Richmond/Carlton rivalry stretches back to the 1967 Second Semi Final and it started off on the wrong foot. The two teams had been struggling for a number of years and were experiencing premiership droughts. Carlton had not won a flag since 1947 and Richmond's last win was in 1943. Richmond defeated Carlton comfortably in this play off for the ground final and a fortnight later won the GF by defeating Geelong. The Richmond ruckman, Neville Crowe was a stalwart who had played through the tough times. He was missing on GF day because he been suspended for striking John Nicholls. As a result he missed his only opportunity to be a premiership player. The Tigers accused Big Nick of doing a 'Clayton Oliver' which resulted in Crowe's suspension. My recollection is that Crowe slapped Nicholls and he played it up for a free kick. Tommy Hafey, 4 decades later, was still using it as a primary reason for the rivalry (and dislike) between the two teams.

The 1973 GF was the pinnacle (nadir?) of this rivalry. Carlton players hit the deck regularly in the first half without report. Geoff Southby was a sensational player but Balme's hit reduced him to a mere mortal rather than the player he was destined to become before that hit. Big Nick crashed to the earth concussed courtesy of a Fowler shirtfront and Swan McKay had his jaw broken as well. The amazing fact is that neither Balme nor Fowler were reported for their blatant actions. Ian Robinson was the umpire on that day and I think he deliberately ignored the carnage.

In 1974 Carlton and Richmond were involved in another clash filled with controversy. It was a round 3 game played at Princes Park and the Tigers won the game easily. It was a torrid affair and a couple of Richmond legends were reported. Royce Hart copped a two week suspension for striking Vin Waite (no doubt provocation). The other report was Francis Bourke for kicking Robert Walls. The incident occurred at the Heatley Stand end of the ground. Kicking an opponent was, and still is, the worst action one can engage in while playing footy. The frenzy it created before the Tribunal hearing was unprecedented. I have no doubt that Bourke kicked at Walls on that day. I was in the Heatley Stand and the action was about 30 metres away. Walls was on all fours and Bourke kicked back like a shitty workhorse. St Francis turned up to the hearing looking like a victim. I'm St Francis, one of the fairest players of all time and I didn't kick Robert Walls. Houlilike, Bourke turned up with character witnesses including a catholic priest. He got off because of his reputation much like Houli's hit entitled him to special treatment in terms of the length of sentence.

So fast forward to last Sunday and history repeats itself. * I hate Richmond. ******* campaigners.

Ian Robinson was the umpire on that day and I think he deliberately ignored the carnage.

That was the dude that was so happy to take ball off Fitzpatrick in 1981 for time wasting which was rarely enforced in such circumstances and we lost narrowly. Never forgotten his name as an umpire as a result.
Never knew he was around in 1973 up to no good too.

Last edited:
That was the dude that was so happy to take ball off Fitzpatrick in 1981 for time wasting which was rarely enforced in such circumstances and we lost narrowly. Never forgotten his name as an umpire as a result.
Never knew he was around in 1973 up to not good too.
Oh yes, as RMH rightly indication, Robinson turned a blind eye to the thuggish behaviour perpetrated by some Richmond players that day. I would really like to hear how he justifies not reporting the perpetrators.

Balme actually committed back to back grand final thuggery acts.

He also broke David McKay's jaw during the 2nd quarter of the 1972 grand final. People forget that one because it was not captured on camera, McKay played out the rest of the game and we won the game.

Despite his pain McKay took a magnificent high mark during the 3rd quarter. Later in that quarter when McKay took an uncontested mark Sheedy ran in and hit McKay in the face.

McKay once mentioned that when the game finished he was in so much pain that he did not stay for the premiership cup presentation and drove straight to the hospital.

Balme was reported for this act by the goal umpire who ran about 30 metres out from the goals to book him. A better effort than umpire Robinson a year later.

Balme was suspended for 2 matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back