Free Agency Daniel Menzel [Off to Sydney after Swans give him another chance as a DFA]

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/ja...from-jars-on-a-massive-behind-the-scenes-deal

Geelong’s unrestricted Daniel Menzel. He wants to come home, and wants to play for Port Adelaide."

Louie noted, "Adelaide boy, his brother Troy in town..."

Jars went on to mention, "that deal MAY involve Pittard. Daniel Menzel up forward with Robbie Gray next year… and Daniel Menzel is a talent."

Just Adelaide based scuttlebutt at this stage but given his contract status he is a UFA in 2017. See him staying personally but think he's been waiting until at least the CBA was finalised and will now likely wait until later and use this season as leverage for a better deal.

Port does make more sense than the Crows though, not as stacked up forward.

Andrew Jarman makes Damian Barrett look like Nostradamus. Grain of salt.

I must admit though that it would be funny if, after the Crows spent up to trade in Troy Menzel, we were able to get the good one for free.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
First of all Pittard is a free agent as is Menzel, secondly why would he want to leave Geelong after they have stuck by him for so long. He should play his career out at the cats.

Jun 6, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
First of all Pittard is a free agent as is Menzel, secondly why would he want to leave Geelong after they have stuck by him for so long. He should play his career out at the cats.

Wouldn't it be a shame if we ended up with the Menzel who can actually play football.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
3 posts from power supporters and 2 are about the Crows.... boy oh boy wowee

2 mentions of the thread topics brother is hardly a stretch

Your post probably looked better in your head until you posted it and if you looked you would have seen two posts in a row by crows supporters completely off topic and meant to be attacks on port supporters.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He'll come home for sure. I think he shouldn't, everything Geelong have done and for him to bail now that his footy is going well is a bit of a dick move IMO
I don't see it that way. He's 25 now and basically been playing on minimum wage. He's on track to kick 50 goals this year which suggests he's worth a hell of a lot more and we'll struggle to pay his worth. He has every right to try and maximise his worth and secure his future, and remembering he's one knee injury away from retirement.

Given his injury history he mightn't have much more than 6 years left in the game.

I wouldn't begrudge him if he left.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I don't see it that way. He's 25 now and basically been playing on minimum wage. He's on track to kick 50 goals this year which suggests he's worth a hell of a lot more and we'll struggle to pay his worth. He has every right to try and maximise his worth and secure his future, and remembering he's one knee injury away from retirement.

Given his injury history he mightn't have much more than 6 years left in the game.

I wouldn't begrudge him if he left.

It would be a risk putting reasonably big coin and a multiple year contract on the table considering his history.

If another club offers him more $ or years than geelong will. He is one serious injury away from retirement so he might want to take the best deal he can get wherever it is.

Popielnicki

Team Captain
Sep 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What would Geelong get in compensation for Menzel ? Surely PA give Geelong a pick then PA and Geelong can get a comp pick for Motlop Pittard if they leave

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What would Geelong get in compensation for Menzel ? Surely PA give Geelong a pick then PA and Geelong can get a comp pick for Motlop Pittard if they leave

$$$$$ would be the determining factor.

Geelong would get a pittance pick from the AFL

Depends on his salary my guess is 2nd/3rd rounder as i dont think menzel wont get offered a really long term deal. Motlop might be similar.

It would be a risk putting reasonably big coin and a multiple year contract on the table considering his history.
Yep, which is why he'd be crazy not to leave if he gets a reasonable offer.

Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He'll come home for sure. I think he shouldn't, everything Geelong have done and for him to bail now that his footy is going well is a bit of a dick move IMO

All hypothetical at the moment, but from the outside it may look a bit of a d!ck move for Menzel to leave Geelong after finally getting on the track consistently, but he also would have seen how quick the Cats were to move on a few legends who clearly wanted to continue (Bartel, Stevie J, Chapman etc) so loyalty goes both ways.

And if Menzel can find a club that is willing to give him a longer term contract than what the Cats are offering then you probably can’t blame him.

Certainly a risk for any club that is willing to give him more than 2 years on good coin however.

As an aside if a player retires, say 1 year, into a 3 year contract due to injuries, if the club and player come to a settlement does the full contract still count towards the cap?

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

I think it would mentally take its toll on the bloke walking into to Kardinia Park every day though. I think it would be a constant reminder of the pain he's had to endure, both physically and emotionally for the majority of his career. Even a minor injury last year cost him a chance to compete for a Grand Final spot.

If Menzel wants to go home to his family, gets a change of scenery and can sure up his short term future, he should. He should be incredibly proud of himself that's he's made it back to a point where he can make this choice.
I'd be in what I hope would be the overwhelming majority of Geelong fans wishing him well if he leaves.

bootsmalicious

Senior List
Apr 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton F.C, Orlando Magic, Broncos
Andrew Jarman is well known for his impeccable sources and absolutely never makes stuff up...:rolleyes:
this, according to him Martin will definitely be a crow so guess Dusty will be playing for Adelaide next year

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

If Pittard is leaving, that would probably be Port's preference.

I'd say if both Menzel and Motlop leave via free agency, Geelong would be looking at band 1 compo, so wouldn't want to make a trade.

Why would Port trade when they could get him for free?

Again, Andrew Jarman, grain of salt etc. Bloke is a total moron.

Although it may depend on what happens with Pittard. In 2012 we traded Essendon a third rounder for Monfries because if we'd taken him as a free agent it would've cancelled out the second rounder we got as compensation for Danyle Pearce.

Popielnicki

Team Captain
Sep 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely Geelong are thinking Menzel goes they fwd that pick for Ablett 2nd -3rd round gets it done thoughts Geelong fans

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Surely Geelong are thinking Menzel goes they fwd that pick for Ablett 2nd -3rd round gets it done thoughts Geelong fans

Could this trade end up being inserted in the Ah Chee trade?

Menzel -->Ah Chee-->Ablett seems feasible.

Back