Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell ya, a forward line like this...

HF: ~ WHE ~ Moore ~ Elliott
FF: ~ Fasolo ~ Reid ~ Kirby

... is gonna have some potency!

P.S. Anyone wanna have a crack at the Kirby selection come at me! :p
Quicky that is a potentially a super forward line. Even though Faz has been a bit off in conversion this year they are all very good kicks and good at marking. Likewise at ground level except for maybe Reid.

Training Notes: Thursday 8th June
Fine and sunny 8.5C
Quite a sizeable attendance this morning considering it's not a school holiday session; we must be winning!

Not Training: Elliott, Wells, Goldsack
Limited Training: Rupert Wills, Travis Varcoe, Ben Sinclair
Back in Full Training: Jesse White, Ben Reid, James Aish (wearing helmet)
Pretty difficult to pick players today as most were sporting beards and MND beanies.
The last player to enter the arena at 10:30 was Brodie Grundy. All players were then addressed by Neale Daniher.
As they did last week, the players were led by Scott Pendlebury in a jog to the outer wing where they formed a circle and stood arm in arm for a bit of a chat. The players were then split into 5 groups and rotated through drills. These drills were:
1. Goal kicking - set shots from 35-40 metres no angle. Then snapping on left foot. Hoskin-Elliott couldn't miss.
2. Clearance drills - rolling ball; designated player attacked the ball attempting to gather cleanly under pressure from two others. Blair was fantastic here.
3. Forward man on man drill. Sharenberg V White, Reid v Langdon, Smith V Mackie. Players didn't attempt to mark, but tried to take front position to palm down. Sharenberg was opposed to White every time. Shaz is a great reader of the ball in the air that he is rarely beaten. This morning he bested Jesse easily. Jesse's new hair colour was described by a young lady near me as a blonde 'full Bieber". It looked to be strawberry blonde to me.
4. Clearance drill - two players attempt to recover rolling ball front a starting position on their knees.
5. Tackling drill - players encouraged to spin out of tackles; two players wearing grid-iron type padding. Brown very strong in ducking these tackles and slipping free to handpass.
•Taylor Adams is a star on the track- he goes into every drill like a bull.
•Brown must be selected this week; very impressive in all drills today.
•Faz appeared to be in good spirits and trained strongly.
•Ben Crocker and Lachie Keeffe left the drills to do 200 metre runs along the social club side for a lot of the session.
Players V Coaches Goal Kicking Competition: Players win again 6-5
Thanks Mazzarjo, great training reports, for us from interstate, it's fantastic to be able to read your detailed training reports

Kirby is part of the future

Not quite yet

But....

The hugs are coming :)

Training Notes from Thursday 1st June
Cold and cloudy, no breeze - 11C.

Not Training:
Jesse White
Limited Training:
Ben Reid
Ben Sinclair
**Rupert Wills
Travis Varcoe
**Rupert ran steady laps for about 30 minutes but left the track at 10:30 and I swear he was limping.
Travis looks weeks away. He just ran slow laps.

Most of the work centred around clearance drills today. The players rotated through about 5 set drills. Onballers, forwards and backs worked together. A lot of work was put into ruck contests from boundary throw-ins. In this drill, Cox was opposed to Grundy, whilst Moore and Mitch McCarthy were pitted against each other. Grundy was trying to flip the ball backwards to a running mid.

In handball drills 8 players were opposed to to each other in teams of 4. Pendles was very involved and for a while I thought he was running this drill. Spoke at length to Daicos and appeared to be developing a new style of very fast handball; it was sort of a throw/paddle.
After he did it 3 times I concluded it was no accident.

One of the other 5 drills was goal kicking, where Bucks stood on the mark and a player on the 50 metre mark attempted to deliver to a leading forward under pressure. There was also a set-shot drill.

Thankfully, a few beards will disappear tonight as the players defeated the coaches in the goal kicking competition.

Today's session was the most animated I have seen the group. There was a real sense of camaraderie. Early in the session, Pendles led the entire group on a jog to the AAMI wing. Once there, they formed a circle and had a chat. When they broke up there were broad smiles all round.

If training were the key to selection, Callum Brown selected himself. He was impressive today.

The TV crews kept a close eye on Faz and as one cameraman remarked, probably the best place for him - out on the field with his mates. He trained well.

Happy to answer any questions.

Excellent as always Neil, cheers mate.

Just hope he can Keep his Cool.

Sam or Ben Reid?

After watching liam jones dominate today (and most of the year at vfl level) as a key defender, i really think its time to recast jessie white as a defender.

He played this role last year at vfl level with some success, and his form was so good he got promoted to the senior side...but again as a forward.

He will always struggle as a forward because he cant mark. At least as a defender his role is simplified.

I reckon his career is pretty much over as Liam Jones' was...so its worth the experiment now.

After watching liam jones dominate today (and most of the year at vfl level) as a key defender, i really think its time to recast jessie white as a defender.

He played this role last year at vfl level with some success, and his form was so good he got promoted to the senior side...but again as a forward.

He will always struggle as a forward because he cant mark. At least as a defender his role is simplified.

I reckon his career is pretty much over as Liam Jones' was...so its worth the experiment now.

Do we need KPD Depth?

Not sure if serious?

Not sure if serious?
Did you watch the Carlton game today or any northern blues games? Liam Jones has really reinvogorated his career. He took Patton to the cleaners today. Looks a natural backman.

We have already tried White as a defender with some success, but never went through with the experiment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you watch the Carlton game today or any northern blues games? Liam Jones has really reinvogorated his career. He took Patton to the cleaners today. Looks a natural backman.

We have already tried White as a defender with some success, but never went through with the experiment.

To your first question I did. He will be delisted by Carlton at years end.

As for White.......how old is he?
Do you really think he can be re-invented?

You'll cop flak for this but it's a good idea. I recall some of Jesse's games there in the VFL. He was good. His performances were on par with Marsh.

It won't happen though. They aren't even finding room for Keeffe back there. McLarty and Schade are filling that role right now. With a few other tall VFL defenders through there too.

Training Notes: Thursday June 29
Cold and wet at Olympic Park
The Good News
Varcoe, Elliott and Wills all did full training and look good to go.
Elliott is now the full bottle blonde.
The Bad News
Adam Treloar did get out of a shuffle for the whole session. Walked laps with Smith. No way he plays on Saturday. Ditto Smith.

Lots of effort put into decision making today. For the first time I can remember, Bucks ran the whole show. During the 18 v 18 Drill No.1 Bucks took them to the middle and asked them to maintain possession via short kicks before centring near goal.
When a player was hesitating, or took too long to make a decision, or even made a decision Bucks didn't like, he called the ball back and started again.

The 18 V 18 Drill No.2 involved match practice. The focus was on possession from deep back, around the boundary and then quick transition into the corridor and into goal. No long kicking was seen all morning.

Bucks then called players into the centre before two groups began goal kicking drills. Elliott couldn't kick one to save himself early and ditto DeGoey.
Elliott subsequently improved; not so Jordan. One player who will remain nameless, needs to remember there were hundreds of kids in attendance today. His language was pretty blue and very loud.

A few quick observations:
•Levi Greenwood starred on the track today. I've never seen him looking as trim and healthy. He was tireless in his running and his kicking was A1.
•Josh Daicos has sublime natural skills. On one occasion he received a pass from the back pocket and was surrounded by the opposition. He stopped, side-stepped a la Phil Carman, and then delivered the ball lace-out. There was a gasp from the students at the Hisense end. They were right behind Daics and could see the supreme skills. I was side-on, but got a pretty good view of it. The bloke to my left muttered to himself, "Just like his dad," and it was.
Lachie Keeffe did a lot of work forward today. He spent a lot of the session goal kicking.
•Varcoe trained solidly. Should play, but probably in the VFL.
•Elliott looks good to come straight back in my opinion.
•Moore and Mayne walked off arm in arm; is this a sign that Mayne will be back?

Training Notes: Thursday June 29
Cold and wet at Olympic Park
The Good News
Varcoe, Elliott and Wills all did full training and look good to go.
Elliott is now the full bottle blonde.
The Bad News
Adam Treloar did get out of a shuffle for the whole session. Walked laps with Smith. No way he plays on Saturday. Ditto Smith.

Lots of effort put into decision making today. For the first time I can remember, Bucks ran the whole show. During the 18 v 18 Drill No.1 Bucks took them to the middle and asked them to maintain possession via short kicks before centring near goal.
When a player was hesitating, or took too long to make a decision, or even made a decision Bucks didn't like, he called the ball back and started again.

The 18 V 18 Drill No.2 involved match practice. The focus was on possession from deep back, around the boundary and then quick transition into the corridor and into goal. No long kicking was seen all morning.

Bucks then called players into the centre before two groups began goal kicking drills. Elliott couldn't kick one to save himself early and ditto DeGoey.
Elliott subsequently improved; not so Jordan. One player who will remain nameless, needs to remember there were hundreds of kids in attendance today. His language was pretty blue and very loud.

A few quick observations:
•Levi Greenwood starred on the track today. I've never seen him looking as trim and healthy. He was tireless in his running and his kicking was A1.
•Josh Daicos has sublime natural skills. On one occasion he received a pass from the back pocket and was surrounded by the opposition. He stopped, side-stepped a la Phil Carman, and then delivered the ball lace-out. There was a gasp from the students at the Hisense end. They were right behind Daics and could see the supreme skills. I was side-on, but got a pretty good view of it. The bloke to my left muttered to himself, "Just like his dad," and it was.
Lachie Keeffe did a lot of work forward today. He spent a lot of the session goal kicking.
•Varcoe trained solidly. Should play, but probably in the VFL.
•Elliott looks good to come straight back in my opinion.

Bucks indicated Treloar is playing and it was just managing 'workload'

Bucks indicated Treloar is playing and it was just managing 'workload'

Just like how when Heater was at our Club he never did much for the Final Training Session of the Week?

Training Notes:

Awwww love will out.... :p

Thanks Neil great report as always.

Always look forward to reading them.

Go Daicos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back