Preview Changes V Hawks (Cox, Elliott, Ramsay & Thomas in; Schaz, Brown & Reid - gulp! - emergencies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good changes but left Schade out. I would've gone Schade in for Reid.

Good to see your Schade festish continues alongside your obsession with svelte buoyant waterfowl

doodles98

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Long term contacts are too risky for a club, avoid them unless you really need to offer them for quality.
Not really. One of the reasons clubs give long term contracts is to minimize the risk of key players leaving.

But you only give them to key players who have durable bodies and are in the right age bracket. That concept is too difficult for our footy department.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Could be a coach Killing decision. Lose with Gunston, Breust, Roughead, O'Brien Schoenmakers getting a hold of us and media will be on him for dropping Reid.

Also tell me again how Cox is a better forward option than Reid??? Didn't Reid kick a couple late last week....if he'd been played there full game wondered how he would have gone.....

He's rolled the dice Nathan.....would want to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a coach Killing decision. Lose with Gunston, Breust, Roughead, O'Brien Schoenmakers getting a hold of us and media will be on him for dropping Reid.

Also tell me again how Cox is a better forward option than Reid??? Didn't Reid kick a couple late last week....if he'd been played there full game wondered how he would have gone.....

He's rolled the dice Nathan.....would want to win.

I am Hoping Bucks is Lying and Reid is Injured/Hurt

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's not that strange. We desperately needed another dedicated small defender for team balance. It's more a decision to play Langdon over Scharenberg. I wasn't as critical of Langdons game last week as some but surely you need to reward a 35 disposal game from Scharenberg in the twos?

You do need to reward performances like that but equally there needs to be a spot available. Having opted for Landon over Shaz the week before, and I didn't think there was much in it but likely would have preferred Shaz, Langdon would need to have performed badly to merit being dropped. Despite some of the commentary on these boards I think he actually improved his game so hard to justify dropping him. I don't think Langdon was ready for the seniors when initially selected but he has improved week to week so deserves to be retained.

slugger01

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we win well Reid wont be back next week.
Since a lot of Bigfooty posters love to use statistics to prove their point about certain players, lets see how statistics can be manipulated....
When Reid has been in the team this year, we have LOST 7 games, and won ONE.. (the 1 point win against a depleted Sydney).
When he hasn't been in the team, we have WON 4, and lost ONE..

Ergo, we have a better chance of winning with him not in the team...

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not in the top 300 players in the afl. Ordinary.

Crisp ranked 94th in the league going into this round according to the AFL's player rankings.

swiftdog

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
My 2c on how I see the changes:

Out: Reid, In: Ramsey
Might as well start with the most controversial one. Still somewhat perplexing but the backline was probably a little tall last week so bringing in a small doesn't not make sense. You could argue that Dunn, Goldsack, Howe and Maynard (although he's a different type of defender) are in better form than Reid at the moment. Reid out over Langdon is still interesting though. Langdon did get shown up at times by Gray but he's not the only defender to suffer that. Maybe Roughead was identified as the only suitable matchup for both Dunn and Reid? Dunn's been in good form so going with Dunn over Reid is understandable.

Out: Crocker, In: Elliott
Pretty straightforward. Best forward is always going to come back into the team when available. Crocker's kicked some goals and I still think there's something to work with but does need to find a way to influence games a little bit more. Will be better for the run.

Out: Aish, In: Cox
I think I wrote earlier in the week that we played with one midfielder too many last week. Moore, Fasolo, Crocker and Greenwood sort of made up of the crux of the forward line last week. On the flip side players like Aish, Broomhead, Phillips and Hoskin-Elliot seem to be used as outside utility 'mr fix-it' types, I don't think we need 4 of them. Cox, Moore, Elliot, Fasolo and Greenwood looks like a more potent basis for the forward line for me whereas I don't think we lose that much by dropping one of Aish, Broomhead, Phillips or Hoskin-Elliot.

Out: Brown, In: Thomas
Brown will be better for the run and looks sharp on the inside. Will need to find a way to influence games more to get a more consistent run in the AFL but that will come with size, stamina and experience I'm sure. I haven't seen much VFL but happy to see that Thomas has played some good footy and is leading clearance numbers in the VFL. The less "dirty work" that the likes of Pendlebury and Treloar have to do the better the team plays I think.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I think that points gets pushed too much. In his AFL matches he hasn't been able to get on the end of enough uncontested marks but that will come. His contested mark numbers have always been excellent. In his 5 VFL matches this year his marking stats have been off the chart. Especially the contested marks where he has averaged 3.4 a game which is extraordinary. He is an inexperienced KPF who still needs time. Think he will surprise a few people today.

Important game but nothing like make or break.

Yeah perhaps. I'd be conscious of the difference between VFL and AFL level with those stats though. Cox height is a massive advantage at VFL level against less talented defenders. I think that gap narrows significantly at AFL level where defenders body work is so much better.

My main gripe with Cox selection is the combo of both him and Fasolo. Neither can defend to save themselves. Fasolo through lack of pace and effort. Cox through a lack of agility and his height. I think there'll be some big possession winners out of defense for the Hawks.

Last edited:

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad