Oppo Camp Opposition supporters say the strangest things

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say Enright was overrated because Cyril kicked 6 on him, I said Enright was overrated because he was carried by superior teammates for the entirety of his career and that Rioli kicking 6 on him was a perfect illustration of that.

As soon as Geelong's midfield dominance fell away (the year they finished 10th for instance) Enright was exposed as a mediocre 1 on 1 player, as many defenders often are if the boys upfield aren't putting enough pressure on the ball carrier. He was a pretty good player utterly undeserving of more than one or two AA awards, but unfortunately his reputation was such that the panel would automatically vote him in every year. Some of those years the decision to gift him another one were almost Nick Maxwell or Harry O'Brien-esque in their ridiculousness. With clueless muppets like Gerard Healy on the panel that's to be expected I guess.

Enright probably dreamed of being as damaging with ball in hand as a genuine champion like Grant Birchall or as effective at nullifying small forwards as Ben Stratton, but sadly not just any defender can reach those rarefied heights.

Post your embarrassing opposition comments in here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most brilliantly incorrect thing I have ever read or heard in my 37 years following AFL. You could make a very very strong argument that enright is the best 1 on 1 player of the last 25 years

You'd need a very strong argument to say we didn't have THE best 2 in Enright and Scarlett.

Also saw a post the other day comparing Judd and Ablett, a Carlton patriot gave Judd the nod (of course) because he got more contested possessions even though their career averages were virtually identical. Seemed to completely ignore the fact that Ablett averaged 2 more uncontested possessions and virtually doubled Judds Goals, who am I to argue though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back