Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Forgive me if we already have a thread for this but i couldn't find one, feel free to delete if we do have one.

Anyway i don't follow the u18 comp and was wondering who the best prospects are, who's the best fit for us in the first round? Hopefully a top 4 pick.

Knightmare - Snoop?

Frank Gallagher

Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Also, what type of player are Brisbane-North-Carlton likely to chase?

Brisbane are pretty set for KFs aren't they? Pretty sure they have a high ranking academy KF this year so they'll probably target the best mid.

Not sure about North and Carlton though.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

Brisbane are pretty set for KFs aren't they? Pretty sure they have a high ranking academy KF this year so they'll probably target the best mid.

Draft order could change a lot if Kelly and Hopper decide to leave. Bit hard to say who's going to have what pick ATM.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely talls would be the preference at the draft this year. Fogarty, brander and Sutherland are all highly rated and will go early. I think most people of the opinion that Fogarty would be the best picks for us, ~ 193cms, quick, good hands and a tidy set shot, think a bit like Jake Stringer in the way he plays. Could be a 10-15 year full forward for the black and white and could partner with Darcy. After that I think Haydn McLean from Sandi, big (~ 198cm), strong and with great hands. Could be in the mix in the second round. Moves well and clunks marks very, similar to a Jenkins or Casboult (the 2017 one). Noah Balta, Nathan Kreuger, Cody Henness and Tom De Koning are all other tall's who could fit anywhere from second round to 4/5 rounds of the draft.

Speedy and good decision makers should also be high on the wishlist; Jaidyn Stephenson, Jack Petruccelle and Adam Sambono are players with real pace and good decision making. Stephenson will likely go early but Petruccelle and Sambono could be haning on the boards later in the piece, they would inject some real pace and creativity to our slow 'crab' like style atm.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Carlton will go best available. Brisbane will go a mid. North will go for Kelly

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Surely talls would be the preference at the draft this year. Fogarty, brander and Sutherland are all highly rated and will go early. I think most people of the opinion that Fogarty would be the best picks for us, ~ 193cms, quick, good hands and a tidy set shot, think a bit like Jake Stringer in the way he plays. Could be a 10-15 year full forward for the black and white and could partner with Darcy. After that I think Haydn McLean from Sandi, big (~ 198cm), strong and with great hands. Could be in the mix in the second round. Moves well and clunks marks very, similar to a Jenkins or Casboult (the 2017 one). Noah Balta, Nathan Kreuger, Cody Henness and Tom De Koning are all other tall's who could fit anywhere from second round to 4/5 rounds of the draft.

Speedy and good decision makers should also be high on the wishlist; Jaidyn Stephenson, Jack Petruccelle and Adam Sambono are players with real pace and good decision making. Stephenson will likely go early but Petruccelle and Sambono could be haning on the boards later in the piece, they would inject some real pace and creativity to our slow 'crab' like style atm.

Depends if reports of us going after Sam Reid are true. Otherwise I'm happy to get the quickest and best ball user or X Factor.

Baird

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
For the champs it's 10 disposals, 5 marks and one goal for game 1

Game 2 is 13 disposals, 4 marks and 2 goals.

Not sure how many games he's played at school level, but I know there was one game where he played and gave Clavarino a bath.
He must be dominating for his school team, because he hasn't even played in the TAC cup i'm pretty sure

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2017-draft-almanac.1161261/

This is a good resource, thanks Knightmare.

From the looks of it there are quite a few highly rated talls. Sam Hayes might be a good option if available, would mean we could have Grundy doing the bulk of the work in the ruck with Moore and Hayes rotating through periodically.

July power rankings will be out soon. Hopefully tomorrow ESPN post it. I'll share in my signature as soon as it's up.

There are several new names not in my June Power Rankings who have really risen.

From a Collingwood context, Will Sutherland, to give a quiet spoiler is one who should be right on our radar. He may be the best key forward in this draft. The only question and why I left him out of previous power rankings was the assumption that he would choose cricket over AFL. Playing u18 championships though and potentially TAC Cup over the second half of the season, he may yet choose AFL.

Balta, Coleman-Jones, Ballenden if Brisbane overlook him. They're some other names.

Hayes I definitely favour as a ruckman but he does have occasional good patches up forward.

Frank Gallagher

Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depends if reports of us going after Sam Reid are true. Otherwise I'm happy to get the quickest and best ball user or X Factor.
Probably nothing in this, but do you reckon we would've dropped Ben if we planned on landing Sam?

If we do get Sam i still think we need to use our first pick on the best available KF.

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
July power rankings will be out soon. Hopefully tomorrow ESPN post it. I'll share in my signature as soon as it's up.

There are several new names not in my June Power Rankings who have really risen.

From a Collingwood context, Will Sutherland, to give a quiet spoiler is one who should be right on our radar. He may be the best key forward in this draft. The only question and why I left him out of previous power rankings was the assumption that he would choose cricket over AFL. Playing u18 championships though and potentially TAC Cup over the second half of the season, he may yet choose AFL.

Balta, Coleman-Jones, Ballenden if Brisbane overlook him. They're some other names.

Hayes I definitely favour as a ruckman but he does have occasional good patches up forward.
AFL new deal 20% increase next year. Cricket no contracts. I know which I would pick if I had a choice.

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

fogerty?

Frank Gallagher

Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL new deal 20% increase next year. Cricket no contracts. I know which I would pick if I had a choice.
Depends how good he is, if he thinks he can make the national team then cricket everyday of the week, less stress on the body, more money and a career that can last to his late 30s, some good coin to be earnt after that in T20 also.

Back